U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2010, 03:53 PM

245 posts, read 589,175 times

Advertisements

Does anyone (especially Toxic) know any details about the area of Fountain Square near Spann/Fletcher Avenues and Laurel/Spruce Streets? I am still looking around for a house and there are a few in that area that I have my eye on. I have driven through the neighborhood to try to get an idea of what it looks like, and while it doesn't look great today, clearly there are great things in the works for FS (cultural trail, new businesses, etc.).

I'd like to know what people that live in the area or know a lot about it think of that part of the neighborhood. Does it stand to benefit from the renewal efforts in FS or is it too far removed? BTW, Toxic, I did what you said and drove around in the parts of the neighborhood that you suggested...I really like FS, and the streets you suggested were nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 05:21 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,596,453 times
Toxic Coast lives there, I'm sure he'll chime in with more info! I like that area, there is a fantastic Greek Restaurant there. A Thai one just openned up too which is great. It's getting better...

Old 03-24-2010, 07:34 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,280,491 times
The only house I have sold in the Fountain Square area was on Spann. Very cute, but the house next door was falling down! There are some gems and some pieces of coal... although coal makes diamonds, right?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:52 PM

245 posts, read 589,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle Morris View Post
There are some gems and some pieces of coal... although coal makes diamonds, right?

Haha, well that's what I'm trying to figure out...

I really like the house I'm looking at on Spann, but the houses around it are looking pretty rough. The house behind it (to the south) is also for sale...for $40k more. I mean, it seems that as people continue to flip these houses, the area will improve. However, Toxic mentioned a while back that there is a problem with slumlords in the area as well. Do you know anything about that?

Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,280,491 times
Well, you are right, as people continue to improve the homes, the area itself will improve. How long will that take? It is anyone's guess. You might end up with 90% of the houses on the block done, and then the rest just sit forever with no improvements. And there's not way to force anyone to fix up the homes. With any home purchase, there is a level of risk, you just have to decide if it's worth it!

Old 03-25-2010, 12:47 PM

11 posts, read 30,592 times
My wife lived on Spann when we first met and her house was nice. Small, but her family kept it looking nice. However, the house next to them looked like a "crack-house" as did some others close by. Her family moved due to an increase in crime (car vandalizing and house break-ins) and now 13 years later, she would not move back.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:34 PM

8,259 posts, read 13,536,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.dawsn View Post
Does anyone (especially Toxic) know any details about the area of Fountain Square near Spann/Fletcher Avenues and Laurel/Spruce Streets? I am still looking around for a house and there are a few in that area that I have my eye on. I have driven through the neighborhood to try to get an idea of what it looks like, and while it doesn't look great today, clearly there are great things in the works for FS (cultural trail, new businesses, etc.).

I'd like to know what people that live in the area or know a lot about it think of that part of the neighborhood. Does it stand to benefit from the renewal efforts in FS or is it too far removed? BTW, Toxic, I did what you said and drove around in the parts of the neighborhood that you suggested...I really like FS, and the streets you suggested were nice.
Spann is not too different from the rest of the neighborhood. Closer to State there are some very nice looking houses. At the corner of Spann and Spruce, there is a rusted out pay phone in front of a giant vinyl apartment box, the whole corner almost has the look of Detroit. Which is a great microcosm for the Fountain Square neighborhood, because a couple houses away from that corner, there is a smaller house with a beautifully landscaped front yard next to a another great looking house. As far as development, there have been efforts to utilize the commercial space at English and State, but I think the buildings there are empty now. One of the art galleries that had located there moved to Virginia Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.dawsn View Post
mentioned a while back that there is a problem with slumlords in the area as well. Do you know anything about that?
For an example, there are about four little crumbling houses in the 900 block of Lexington, all owned by the same guy. He rents all four of them for about $400 per month. Across from me, there is a house that has gone through 3 different tenants in the past year, it looks like it would sell on the open market for about 30,000. Three houses down from that, on my side of the street, there is a huge 3 or 4 bedroom victorian(?) that sold for almost 150K last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG505 View Post
My wife lived on Spann when we first met and her house was nice. Small, but her family kept it looking nice. However, the house next to them looked like a "crack-house" as did some others close by. Her family moved due to an increase in crime (car vandalizing and house break-ins) and now 13 years later, she would not move back.
13 years is a long time, in fact, that predates most of the revitalization efforts down here.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 PM

3,111 posts, read 6,746,086 times
I looked at a 1 bedroom duplex that was completely remodeled on Orange St. a block east of Shelby. The guy wanted $625 per month to rent it (for 1 side of the duplex), and most of the other houses on the street, and all of the surrounding houses were falling apart (along with the tennants who occupied the neighboring houses).

Sure, the place was ok, but for the price, I can move to a much better area. In fact, I looked at a few places where people remodeled houses, and are trying to rent them for above average prices, located next to bombed-out looking houses.

Great for a person buying with the intent of keeping the house for another 10 years, but trying to get quality renters there seems a hard task, as they don't have anything personally invested in the neighborhood.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:15 PM

11 posts, read 40,050 times
i live on fletcher now. fletcher ave area is really nice. fountain square has it's good streets
and bad streets. i'd stay pretty much away from prospect, unless you like crackheads roaming
around. i mean, of course not all the people on prospect and that area between shelby and
keystone are crackheads......but the neighborhood has went a bit to hell over the past 10
years or so.
laurel has decent blocks. indy is a city where one street can be decent and the very next one
run down, though.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 AM

3 posts, read 12,948 times
I was born in this neighborhood near Fountain Square. I went to school there as a child, and I teach school in this neighborhood. I know some people on South Keystone who have lived there for about 50 years. They are wonderful people. To the east of Fountain Square is a fine shopping area called Twin Aire with a bank, fast food and other restaurants, laundromat, grocery store, hardware, etc. Right in between Twin Aire and Fountain Square, I think, is ideal. There is a southside newspaper that is free where you may be able to find a house or duplex to rent or buy. I know one duplex right there on South Keystone that rents for $400 a month: has two bedrooms, with new ceramic tile in kit. and bath; the rest has all new laminated floors - light oak color. I hope you find what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis