U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 07:18 AM

92 posts, read 298,920 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, it's me RickShawMan. Been busy with schooling, so I haven't been able to come here to post.

What I've noticed for the last two years of living here is that the hoosier residents like to be smart aleck, for lack of a better word, and rub things into your face. I'm not talking literally, but figuratively indirectly mocking you when they talk to somebody else.

For example, if I'm wearing some kind of jacket that a person doesn't like, he or she would deliberately talk loudly to his or her friend about my jacket.

There was also another time two weeks ago where I was outside of a building talking on my cell phone. It was still a bit chilly, temperatures being in the 50s range. This family consisting of a big mom and her two daughters walk past me. While walking past me, the mom says "hey Shelly, don't you need to wear your jacket? So cold today!" I'm like "oh shut up jabroni."

I find this behavior to be obnoxious and discourteous. Is this typically done here in the Midwest or just Indiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 08:00 AM

8,145 posts, read 13,321,204 times
I have never noticed this

Old 04-15-2010, 08:03 AM

92 posts, read 201,695 times
I guess I fall into that category for when I hold the door open for someone and they don't say thank you. I say it loud enough "You are welcome" and then turn to my kids and say loudly "Always say thank you to people"

Old 04-15-2010, 08:05 AM

^^ lol!!

Old 04-15-2010, 10:23 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,348,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickShawMan View Post
Hey guys, it's me RickShawMan. Been busy with schooling, so I haven't been able to come here to post.

What I've noticed for the last two years of living here is that the hoosier residents like to be smart aleck, for lack of a better word, and rub things into your face. I'm not talking literally, but figuratively indirectly mocking you when they talk to somebody else.

For example, if I'm wearing some kind of jacket that a person doesn't like, he or she would deliberately talk loudly to his or her friend about my jacket.

There was also another time two weeks ago where I was outside of a building talking on my cell phone. It was still a bit chilly, temperatures being in the 50s range. This family consisting of a big mom and her two daughters walk past me. While walking past me, the mom says "hey Shelly, don't you need to wear your jacket? So cold today!" I'm like "oh shut up jabroni."

I find this behavior to be obnoxious and discourteous. Is this typically done here in the Midwest or just Indiana?
I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! (Loud enough for you??)

Old 04-15-2010, 11:18 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,581,651 times
I think you may be taking things a bit personally.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:57 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,285,620 times
Um, this sounds like the personality/ies of your individual friends, not some characteristic of the entire population of the state of Indiana. (Even less the entire 'Midwest," whatever that means.) As for the woman you encountered - I suspect you're either being paranoid or she was just a really weird person.

Actually, if we're going to be dorks and talk in terms of pure stereotypes, the behavior you're describing sounds more like Mid-Atlantic natives. Only they'd come right out and say something like, "Get a jacket, mac! Or don't you care if you freeze your hiney off?" Mind you, I'm talking about a stereotype, not reality.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:16 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,255,137 times
Is it possible that that had nothing to do with you? The mom saw your jacket (or lack of one-- I'm not quite sure) and was reminded that her daughter might be cold, and asked as a concerned parent?

It's possible that it's not all about you.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:24 PM

2,248 posts, read 5,979,378 times
I like how you used the word jabroni.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT! (Loud enough for you??)
No. listen guys. People here in Indianapolis, or at least at IUPUI, like to deliberately talk loud enough between themselves when they want to poke fun of you.

For example, I wasn't wearing a jacket two weeks ago when it was 50F outside. I was talking on my cell phone outside of the library because I had no reception in the building. This lady, big fat lady, along with her two kids come walking past me and the lady deliberately says something along the line of, "oh kids, don't you need to wear your jacket?" Sounded like she was being a jerk to me.

It's not just her, but I've also noticed this behavior amongst my classmates.

I went to a lunch and learn event last week and there were vegetables on the table for people to grab. I only wanted a few carrot sticks, so I grabbed some with my hands. I then hear two idiot student behind me say "oh, here is the tongs brandon." I'm like "****!"

I usually don't experience this kind of "rub in the face" rudness from people in other parts of the country. Seems that it's rampant here in Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis