U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 12:12 PM

245 posts, read 584,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
oh heaven forbid you have to slow down for a few hundred feet during the schoolday ... oh geez!
First of all, nobody is complaining about "slowing down for a few hundred feet." This is about the Nazi cops that sit in the school parking lots, their only function being to radar mid-day traffic while all the students sit safely in the building.

Also, it is often far more than "a few hundred feet." In Fishers, there are three or four schools in a row along the mile-long stretch of Olio Road between 116th and 126th Streets. That four-lane street is reduced to 30 mph and there is always at least one Fishers PD car waiting in each school parking lot.

By far the most laughable part of all of this is the sheer amount of (taxpayer) cash these speed trap Nazis are collecting in the form of salary while sitting on their butts in parking lots and pulling people over for going 33 mph. The sheer hypocrisy of that just amuses me, considering Hamilton County is steeped in anti-everything conservatism. I wonder what Rush thinks about speed traps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 12:16 PM

798 posts, read 1,918,230 times
There actually was a kid in our class when I was in jr high that got hit by a car crossing the street. He had a cast on many parts of his body. Younger kids are probably watched closely enough that they should not end up in the streets. Once they start getting up around 6th-7th grade though they're just about at the right age where they are starting to be involved in the kinds of activities that have them roaming around the school on their own and they may ignore or just not think about things that might put them in danger. We did have kids in jr high as young as 12 involved with the band activities as well

Old 04-18-2010, 01:34 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,595,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave.dawsn View Post
First of all, nobody is complaining about "slowing down for a few hundred feet." This is about the Nazi cops that sit in the school parking lots, their only function being to radar mid-day traffic while all the students sit safely in the building.

Also, it is often far more than "a few hundred feet." In Fishers, there are three or four schools in a row along the mile-long stretch of Olio Road between 116th and 126th Streets. That four-lane street is reduced to 30 mph and there is always at least one Fishers PD car waiting in each school parking lot.

By far the most laughable part of all of this is the sheer amount of (taxpayer) cash these speed trap Nazis are collecting in the form of salary while sitting on their butts in parking lots and pulling people over for going 33 mph. The sheer hypocrisy of that just amuses me, considering Hamilton County is steeped in anti-everything conservatism. I wonder what Rush thinks about speed traps?
I lived in one of those neighborhoods on Olio in that school zone ... I was thankful for those so called nazi speed traps during the day. It made my day to day existence for a majority of the year a lot less stressful since I regularly rode my bike or walked to the Kroger and Marsh. And when I did drive, it made it easier to get in and out of my neighborhood knowing that people were going the speed limit. During the summers when we would walk to tennis or to play at FCE's playground, it was a nightmare trying to cross the street because of all the speeders. Since we live in Indiana, the land of predestrians not having the right of way, for at least 9 months out of the year, I felt safer.

And that particular schoolzone is the exception to the rule. There aren't very many school corps that have 4 massive schools in such a high density area.

So save the drama for your mama ... school's going to be out soon.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:07 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,901,392 times
Quote:
And that particular schoolzone is the exception to the rule. There aren't very many school corps that have 4 massive schools in such a high density area.

Well just to be completly fair Carmel has a school zone on Shelbourne Road that has two elementary and one middle school. In fact they continue the school zone on 126th street so that it wraps around the whole property. It takes the speed limit down 20 MPH for half of the day and cops are there frequently.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:15 PM

163 posts, read 562,064 times
So much whining about the speed limit. Rickshaw your frequent flyer status as a traffic violator doesn't build validity to your case.

Biggest causes of accidents are due to too many people being in too big of a hurry and not paying enough attention. Say a school zone is 1 mile long. Going 40 instead of 30 will only save 30 seconds. Wow, that is such a great hassle to slow down.

If you want to fight for a change, then fight for light synchronization instead of higher speed limits. Way too much time/gas is wasted idling at lights.
Anyone ever driven Delaware north out of downtown Indy? Go 40 and you are racing up to each light and stopping. Go 25-30 and you are cruising the entire way, no stops until you get to Fall Creek.

People, or at least the smart ones, will figure out synchronization. Then they will go the posted limits because they will realize the benefit.

City governments could regulate speeds on surface streets, save citizens fuel costs and pollution, along with wear and tear on cars, by making surface streets flow smoother. The restructuring of Keystone in Carmel was brilliant. 116th from I-69 west is awful.

Short term, slow down and obey the speed limit. If not, then eat your ticket with some cheese and get some decent whine.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:40 PM

Location: Not the end of the Earth, but I can see it from here
2,981 posts, read 3,126,365 times
I believe there have been stories both in the newspapers and on TV about a crackdown on speeding statewide.

I work on an arterial street on the far westside, and in the last few weeks there have been numerous sightings of county police on patrol as well as traffic stops, most likely for speeding, I suspect.

IIRC the news media reported that there would be no more 5-10 mph over the limit leniency. This could very well explain the reason for the apparent rash of ticketing.

RM

Old 04-18-2010, 06:23 PM

my fuzzbuster has been going off a lot in the last few months ...

Old 04-19-2010, 03:41 AM

369 posts, read 518,172 times
Quote:
That means we need to reduce the speed limit on all non-interstate roads to 25 MPH from 8AM to 9PM. Lets do it FOR THE CHILDREN!!!

Old 04-19-2010, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravekid View Post
That means we need to reduce the speed limit on all non-interstate roads to 25 MPH from 8AM to 9PM. Lets do it FOR THE CHILDREN!!!

I repeat

Save the drama for your mama.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:52 AM

245 posts, read 584,364 times
Quote:
I repeat

Save the drama for your mama.
I don't find this objection melodramatic. Not one bit.

The bottom line here is that it's ridiculous to have such overzealous enforcement of a speed limit that barely makes sense in the first place. Kids go to the mall, also. Does that mean we should designate a "mall zone" on 82nd Street in front of Castleton and post twelve cops there, all because some middle-schooler might run out into traffic?

By the way, I get what you're saying about the walkability of Olio Road near all those schools, but there are sidewalks on both sides of the street, so I guess I just don't see how the speed of traffic on Olio affects your ability to walk to Kroger. If you're crossing Olio, you should do it at 116th or 126th, don't you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis