U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 AM

13 posts, read 31,624 times

Advertisements

I have a chance to move to the midwest area with my current job. I am married (early 30's) and will be traveling alot for work. My territory will include Louisville,Cinn,lex, Indy, St.Louis, Nashville and Chicago. I could live anywhere in this territory. I am from NYC and my wife is from Miami we are looking to lay down roots, buy a home and start a family. Looking for a place that is a great place to raise a family and has a low cost of living, etc... From what I have read about Indy it seems pretty nice and would be centrally located for my work travels. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 11:47 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,402,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1121 View Post
I have a chance to move to the midwest area with my current job. I am married (early 30's) and will be traveling alot for work. My territory will include Louisville,Cinn,lex, Indy, St.Louis, Nashville and Chicago. I could live anywhere in this territory. I am from NYC and my wife is from Miami we are looking to lay down roots, buy a home and start a family. Looking for a place that is a great place to raise a family and has a low cost of living, etc... From what I have read about Indy it seems pretty nice and would be centrally located for my work travels. Any recommendations?

Robert, I certainly believe you can find a good place to raise a family at an affordable cost in the Indy area. However, I must state that the other cities you mention offer a good quality of life as well. Relatively speaking, Chicago can be very pricey, but for someone from NYC, it may nonetheless be viewed as affordable.

More information regarding your needs/wants/interests would be helpful in making a recommendation. In other words, what's important to you? Style of housing (age, suburban/urban feel), necessary amenities, entertainment options (are you into sports/arts/theater)?

Old 05-03-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Robert, I certainly believe you can find a good place to raise a family at an affordable cost in the Indy area. However, I must state that the other cities you mention offer a good quality of life as well. Relatively speaking, Chicago can be very pricey, but for someone from NYC, it may nonetheless be viewed as affordable.

More information regarding your needs/wants/interests would be helpful in making a recommendation. In other words, what's important to you? Style of housing (age, suburban/urban feel), necessary amenities, entertainment options (are you into sports/arts/theater)?
Thank you for replying, We really don't have to be in a big city like Chicago, coming for NY I would not mind a break.....I'm a big sports fan and we are into the arts, theater, etc....but more importantly looking for a safe place to live. I will be on the road a lot and my wife will be on her own....nice developed community close shopping and dinning..looks like i'll rent for a year then look to buy....my wife and i are both educated bilingual english and spanish......how is the job market.......

Old 05-03-2010, 02:38 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,707,038 times
I think Fishers or Carmel will do you guys just fine. Both very family friendly and excellent schools. Easy to get to Indy airport as well, but heck the airport is easy to get to from any of the burbs, actually.

Indy is definitely sports crazy!!! Any chance you guys coming out for a visit before leaving NYC??

Old 05-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I think Fishers or Carmel will do you guys just fine. Both very family friendly and excellent schools. Easy to get to Indy airport as well, but heck the airport is easy to get to from any of the burbs, actually.

Indy is definitely sports crazy!!! Any chance you guys coming out for a visit before leaving NYC??
Yes, that is the plan, We plan on taking a trip out there sometime this month........any suggestions

Old 05-03-2010, 06:57 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,916,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR1121 View Post
Thank you for replying, We really don't have to be in a big city like Chicago, coming for NY I would not mind a break.....I'm a big sports fan and we are into the arts, theater, etc....but more importantly looking for a safe place to live. I will be on the road a lot and my wife will be on her own....nice developed community close shopping and dinning..looks like i'll rent for a year then look to buy....my wife and i are both educated bilingual english and spanish......how is the job market.......
The good news is that Indy is one of the biggest sports cities in the country. The arts are not great or terrible, but they are getting better. The northern suburbs sound good for you because there is a lot of shopping with Clay Terrace, the Fashion Mall, and Castleton Mall. There are also a lot of restaurants on the north side. Like most cities right now the job market here isn't good, but it is a lot better than a lot of other cities in the Midwest. Another benefit for you living in Indianapolis would be that basically all of those cities that you will travel to have a highway in Indy going to them.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:57 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,707,038 times
suggestions ... well, I'd put the 3 northside burbs on your list: Zionsville, Carmel and Fishers. The transplanted New Yorkers & New Jersey people I know live in those three burbs or in Noblesville, which is north of the other 3. You'd be hard presed to meet anyone who actually was born and raised in those areas ... most people are transplants!

Not sure what your pricerange would be. Zionsville would be more pricey, followed by Carmel, then Fishers, then Noblesville.

We lived in Fishers for 4 years prior to moving an hour south, to Columbus, Indiana.

You should also give a good look at Louisville ...

Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,916,371 times
Quote:
suggestions ... well, I'd put the 3 northside burbs on your list: Zionsville, Carmel and Fishers. The transplanted New Yorkers & New Jersey people I know live in those three burbs or in Noblesville, which is north of the other 3. You'd be hard presed to meet anyone who actually was born and raised in those areas ... most people are transplants!

Not sure what your pricerange would be. Zionsville would be more pricey, followed by Carmel, then Fishers, then Noblesville.
As a transplant I can say that this is true. Although Zionsville hasn't had a housing boom yet so there are more locals there.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:50 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,129,048 times
I am not a native Hoosier but I have spent my adult life here. I love it. It's big enough without being TOO big. There are times you'll get frustrated with the state government. At times they do come across like a bunch of hicks with bad toupees. But, dollar for dolar I think it's your best bargan. Louisville would be my second choice because these two are centrally located in your territory. I think they also have the lowest costs of living.
One other city that you might give some thought is Bloomington although it is quite a bit smaller.

Old 05-04-2010, 05:04 AM

3,675 posts, read 7,538,506 times
Quote:
suggestions ... well, I'd put the 3 northside burbs on your list: Zionsville, Carmel and Fishers. The transplanted New Yorkers & New Jersey people I know live in those three burbs or in Noblesville, which is north of the other 3.
Not sure what your pricerange would be. Zionsville would be more pricey, followed by Carmel, then Fishers, then Noblesville....
I'd also check out Westfield which is where we live. Westfield is just north of Carmel and west of Noblesville. Basically, anywhere in Hamilton county...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or