Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 01:28 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,351 times

Advertisements

looking at a possible home in franklin and would like some input on the area and schools. How close to expressways and a comparison to north of indy. I will be driving alot and working all over the area from bloomington to muncie. I have flexable drive times so traffic during rush hour is not a big concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 03:57 PM

5 posts, read 19,885 times
I do not know much about the school system in Franklin, but I know that it is extremely easy to get to the Interstate from this area. I-65 is about 7 minutes east of downtown Franklin. And as a side note, if you do move there, you have to try Richard's Pizza Kitchen on Main Street. Delicious brick oven pizzas and calzones! Hopefully you can check it out!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:54 PM

245 posts, read 682,788 times
Just to clarify:

Franklin is a small town south of the city. It is technically a part of the metro area, but is distant from the city itself.

Franklin Township is in the southeastern corner of Marion County, and is part of the city. However, it is definitely the least urban, least densely populated of Indy's townships.

----

Now, if you're seeking a recommendation, it depends what you're looking for in a place to live. If you want an urban or even suburban environment, Franklin might be a bad choice. Like I said, it is a small, semi-rural town on the outer fringes of Greater Indianapolis.

It also depends on whether you'd like to rent or own, whether schools are important to you or not, what your price range is, what kind of parking you'll need, and so on. I (and any other potential responders) will need more info to give an adequate and helpful response.

However, here is what I can tell you:

If you're into the urban scene, look into downtown. That is the most central place you can live; you'll have access to interstates in every direction as well as the entire city. Downtown Indianapolis is a great place to live, it's safe, it's affordable compared to other big cities, and there's a bunch of stuff to do and great places to eat.

If you want to live in a less urban, more residential environment, I would stick to the north side, but that is purely a matter of opinion. (For all the thin-skinned southsiders, re-read my sentence slowly before flaming me) The north side vs. south side thing has been going on in Greater Indianapolis for a long time, and you'll get as many different answers as people you ask. I grew up on the north side, ergo I prefer the north side. It usually works the same way in reverse. The south side is generally cheaper, but the north side is a little more upscale. Take your pick. Both sides of town have excellent freeway access, so you should be good either way. If you do pick the north side, I'd stick to the Castleton area (46250 and 46256 zip codes) because you'll have excellent access to I-69 for trips to Muncie, you'll be close to I-465 to head south to Bloomington, and it's a really nice area to live.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:19 AM

10 posts, read 30,697 times
I went to college in Franklin. It's a small, semi-rural town. There are a few nice neighborhoods in the developments off of US-31, and there are a lot of nice older homes in the "downtown" area. I'm not sure about the school system ratings, but you should be able to look that up. However, I can tell you that there just is not a lot to do. Not a lot in the way of restaurants and shopping (especially if you're not into chain restaurants). There are major chains (a Lowes and a Walmart), but you will rely heavily on Greenwood and areas further north.

You do have great access to the interstate.

Dave.dawsn gives an excellent overreview of the city. I have lived in many areas over the years (Greenwood, southside, Fountain Square, Fishers, Broad Ripple) and my favorite is Broad Ripple - except that it has terrible access to the interstate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis