Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 09:24 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

As our daily interactions and transactions have become increasingly “wired,” we have yet to see any truly comprehensive attempts at securing online identities.

Our complex system of usernames and passwords is astoundingly outdated and increasingly prone to security breaches and theft.

FOXBusiness.com - Uncle Sam Wants You to Have an Online ID
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 03:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
As far as Uncle Sam gaining control of my online ID's, thanks but no thanks. The mere fact that I maintain control of them with multiple usernames and complex passwords for every site is about secure as it is going to get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
\

Our complex system of usernames and passwords is astoundingly outdated and increasingly prone to security breaches and theft.
The only thing complex about it is people being lazy and/or not understanding how to manage them. Using something like KeePass you can easily manage all your passwords and logins. The built in password generator will produce very complex passwords that can even be customized. You only need to remember one password to access the file that stores the rest of your passwords. The application and your personal encrypted password protected file can be stored on something like a USB memory stick for mobility.

Old 07-05-2010, 11:02 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
+1

KeePass Password Safe is a life and essential to even pretending to be safe online. I've used it for a long time.

Only one password to remember, make it a good one, and makes it practical to have different passwords on different sites, computers, etc.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:28 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Just to add it might be a good idea to let at least one very trusted person know where this file is and the password. I also use it as a "open if a die" type thing, the trusted relative I've given the password and location too has also been instructed to get to this file for other important information in the event something happens to me out of the blue. You can leave notes or even store files in it.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
KeePass saves my life at work. I have to remember over 70 passwords here for the various web sites, UNIX servers, and mainframe environments that I need access to.

I use it at home, too. But I also use Firefox to maintain some passwords, and I use the import/export plugin to generate a CVS file that KeePass can read.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:42 PM

621 posts, read 1,209,749 times
I don't see how a so-called "Online ID" would be any more secure than the current system of usernames and passwords. If a hacker can gain access to our information already, what's to stop them from stealing our single "Online ID"? Am I missing something? I can't help but think this is just one more Big Brother attempt to erode our privacy and keep tabs on us.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
I don't see how a so-called "Online ID" would be any more secure than the current system of usernames and passwords. If a hacker can gain access to our information already, what's to stop them from stealing our single "Online ID"? Am I missing something? I can't help but think this is just one more Big Brother attempt to erode our privacy and keep tabs on us.
Our current system, isn't a 'system' it is a joke really. People are lazy and don't take it seriously. The number of people that use "password" as their actual password is scary, then pet names, kids names.

If you password can be found in a dictionary, then it is worthless.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:09 PM

621 posts, read 1,209,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Our current system, isn't a 'system' it is a joke really. People are lazy and don't take it seriously. The number of people that use "password" as their actual password is scary, then pet names, kids names.

If you password can be found in a dictionary, then it is worthless.
Then as I see it, it's their own fault. My passwords have nothing to do with my name or any other easily guessed information. People have been told for years to strengthen their passwords - to make them longer and use a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols and to not use common words/names. So now because they have been so lax, we need the government to babysit us? I still don't see how an "Online ID" is going to be more secure. Won't someone be able to steal that ID just as easily?

Old 07-07-2010, 05:58 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Well.... "more secure" is a relative term. What risks are you trying to mitigate? Putting a lock on your door is more secure than not having a lock. But it still won't stop someone from kicking it down....

There are a number of vulnerabilities with online transactions. This only looks at one of them - authentication. So this may actually be a bit more secure in a certain aspect. But that doesnt' necessairly make you immune to all attacks. i.e You can have the most sophisticated password storage program on your computer (and yes, I use keepass too - huge fan of it) - but if someone stuck a keylogger between your keyboard and the computer... it wouldn't have done you any good. But that also doesn't mean you don't use anything either.

Bottom line, security is layered. So having this helps, but you have to implement other controls too. To answer the above question - it will utilize multi-factor authentication. So yes, it will be an improvement over single factor authentication. But, you're also changing the process, which may introduce new vulnerabilities. I personally don't like relying on one authentication system. 'cause if that system is breached (and we all know it'll be a huge target)... you're done.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:45 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As far as Uncle Sam gaining control of my online ID's, thanks but no thanks. The mere fact that I maintain control of them with multiple usernames and complex passwords for every site is about secure as it is going to get.

The only thing complex about it is people being lazy and/or not understanding how to manage them. Using something like KeePass you can easily manage all your passwords and logins. The built in password generator will produce very complex passwords that can even be customized. You only need to remember one password to access the file that stores the rest of your passwords. The application and your personal encrypted password protected file can be stored on something like a USB memory stick for mobility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
+1

KeePass Password Safe is a life and essential to even pretending to be safe online. I've used it for a long time.

Only one password to remember, make it a good one, and makes it practical to have different passwords on different sites, computers, etc.
So, I downloaded KeePass yesterday, based on these two posts, and it seems great.
Question:
Regarding the 3rd party plug in to autopopulate passwords into sites' login pages. Do you recommend it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet