U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 AM

158 posts, read 525,547 times

Advertisements

I need to get internet service but all of the providers are offering different prices based on the number of kilobites or megabites. I spend about an hour a day using the internet for basic stuff like facebook, ebay, youtube, and sometimes downloading live sporting events. So what is the minimum amount of bites that I should get? My local internet service provider offers 512 KB for $40, 1 MB for $50, and 2 MB for $60. Would I be disappointed with the service if I went with the cheapest one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 10:44 AM

1,055 posts, read 3,646,052 times
If you are a basic user that doesn't download a lot of stuff (movies, games, etc) or do more than just browse the internet (check email, facebook, myspace, whatever) then the basic package will be plenty. Even streaming sporting events and using YouTube should be fine with the basic service.

There really is no downside to starting with the basic service as you can just call them and tell them you want to upgrade and they'll do it for you right over the phone usually.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:41 PM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
There is bits or Bytes, there is no "bites". Bits is used to measure data transfer rates and bytes is used to measure file sizes which most people would be more familiar with. To denote the difference between the two b's bits uses a small b and bytes a capital B.

bits: (1000kb = 1Mb) or we can say it as 1000 kilobits equals 1 megabit

bytes: (1000KB = 1MB) or we can say it as 1000 kilobytes equals 1 megabyte

8 bits = 1 byte but that's for another topic.

In the case of internet providers they use bits as the measurement and will append a ps to the unit of measurement to indicate how fast per second. So....... 512kbps is 512 kilobits per second

If we divide the 512 by 8 we can find out how many bytes most people are familiar with.

512kbps = 64KB/s or 64 kilobytes per second. Note the 64KB/s is how internet explorer and many other browsers will show data transfer rates. Confused yet? LOL

What that means in the real world as the poster above mentioned this type of speed is adequate for most people. I believe the basic Youtube stream is about 250kbps so it's more than enough, as far sporting events just find oput what speed they are streaming the video at . If it's not fast enough you can always upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or