U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:53 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times

Advertisements

Here lies the problem and answer to your problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Ok, here goes. Recently I had my cable company set me up with wireless internet.( I was using a Linkys..it went out) Now when I turn on the computer it tries to hook up to Acess.
If I am not mistaken this is a software that is installed on your system according to the above statement. Do you see anything like that in the Add-Remove Programs list (it could be something related to Linksys or your previous ISP).

If not, worst case scenario, there should be a startup process or service pointing to this program/driver that is installed on your system.

What confused me is that you mentioned your sister-in-law on her own laptop had issues too which could not be due to a software installed on your system unless your machine somehow caused the network/router to crash.

If you'd like to examine your startup processes/services/drivers, you could use this freebie.
If none of the above are applicable, then I would suspect the hardware (router).

Anyway, that is my 2 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 08:07 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,256,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Do not believe it is any of the neighbors..we are under (supposidly) a secured network..we have to use password to get on line. Have called cable company and they said they do not know what it is. It is not something they use. Have noticed that when speed gets real slow..I will unplug router and reset it and that seems to help.
What is the SSID of the wireless router the cable company provided?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet