U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:00 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,864,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Were you a bully in high school?
Good question. No. I was a bit shy in high school. I had a very small circle of friends and dated a just a few people and only casually. I met my spouse my first year in college, and we married in my third year. I came out of my shell as an adult, and I don't think anybody would characterize me as a bully. I have had very little contact with people from my childhood, and I've moved from one end of the country to the other over the past twenty years, so my life really revolves around immediate family. I can't imagine who would think to harass me at this point in my life.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-07-2010 at 08:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 09:11 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Good question. No. I was a bit shy in high school. I had a very small circle of friends and dated a just a few people and only casually. I met my spouse my first year in college, and we married in my third year. I came out of my shell as an adult, and I don't think anybody would characterize me as a bully. I have had very little contact with people from my childhood, and I've moved from one end of the country to the other over the past twenty years, so my life really revolves around immediate family. I can't imagine who would think to harass me at this point in my life.
I once used a service like this and thought it was a decent service that might help you dig up information.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:06 AM

8,955 posts, read 17,967,678 times
Quote:
Well, today I received information I "requested" from GlaxoKlineSmith for an erectile dysfunction medication, so it appears that the harassment is continuing. I'm unsure what to do next. I think this person is looking for a reaction from me, so the most infuriating thing I can do is not give it to them. If I contact a lawyer and file a warrant for the ISP to reveal the IP address, that will force me into legal action, which I'm not sure I want to pursue. All I really want to know is this person's identity.

The perpetrator has done me one favor in that they're using my maiden name, probably as a signature so I'll know it's him or her, which will allow me to work with the Postmaster to filter out the offensive mail. The phone number is kaput, so at least I don't have to deal with the phone calls anymore.
Those of us that have offered sound advice have grown tired of you sitting on the fence when you obviously know the right path to take.

If you continue to sit on the fence about this all you're gonna get is splinters in your butt so do something even if it's wrong. TAKE ACTION!!

For now I'm done trying to help you since it seems all you want is more attention to a claimed problem that may not exist 'cause you refuse to act.

Either take action or stop worrying about it here.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Those of us that have offered sound advice have grown tired of you sitting on the fence when you obviously know the right path to take.

If you continue to sit on the fence about this all you're gonna get is splinters in your butt so do something even if it's wrong. TAKE ACTION!!

For now I'm done trying to help you since it seems all you want is more attention to a claimed problem that may not exist 'cause you refuse to act.

Either take action or stop worrying about it here.
There's no need to be rude, Tightwad. I do appreciate your suggestion to contact an attorney and am considering your advice, but just because you offered it doesn't mean I must pursue it. If you have nothing more to add then may I suggest that you stop participating in the discussion.

I have most definitely taken action. I have disconnected my phone, reactivated my home security system, deleted both my name and email addresses from Spokeo and other public search websites, frozen my credit, changed all of my passwords, and filed a police report and forwarded it to the ISP. I have also taken steps to prevent this person from receiving student financial aid in my name. I have notified all of the companies that the suspect e-mail address has contacted that I am being stalked and asked them to delete my information. I have also notified my extended family members and confirmed that they have removed any reference to me or my immediate family from the social networking sites in which they participate. On Monday, I will contact the Postmaster to file a complaint and filter the offensive mail, and I will also request that my property records be removed from my county's website. I have recorded every single incident and any follow-up in case this becomes more than just a nuisance and I choose to pursue legal action against the perpetrator.

I would hardly call all of that refusing to act. I've done quite a lot, and my purpose in posting this thread was both to receive input about my particular situation and to provide a roadmap for others who would like to prevent this kind of harassment. I did not post this thread because I'm attention-wh***, and I will thank you not to imply as much.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-08-2010 at 12:22 PM..

Old 08-08-2010, 09:41 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,967,678 times
Quote:
There's no need to be rude, Tightwad. I do appreciate your suggestion to contact an attorney and am considering your advice, but just because you offered it doesn't mean I must pursue it. If you have nothing more to add then may I suggest that you stop participating in the discussion.

I have most definitely taken action. I have disconnected my phone, reactivated my home security system, deleted both my name and email addresses from Spokeo and other public search websites, frozen my credit, changed all of my passwords, and filed a police report and forwarded it to the ISP. I have also taken steps to prevent this person from receiving student financial aid in my name. I have notified all of the companies that the suspect e-mail address has contacted that I am being stalked and asked them to delete my information. I have also notified my extended family members and confirmed that they have removed any reference to me or my immediate family from the social networking sites in which they participate. On Monday, I will contact the Postmaster to file a complaint and filter the offensive mail, and I will also request that my property records be removed from my county's website. I have recorded every single incident and any follow-up in case this becomes more than just a nuisance and I choose to pursue legal action against the perpetrator.

I would hardly call all of that refusing to act. I've done quite a lot, and my purpose in posting this thread was both to receive input about my particular situation and to provide a roadmap for others who would like to prevent this kind of harassment. I did not post this thread because I'm attention-wh***, and I will thank you not to imply as much.
All I see from this post is you withdrawing and not taking the fight to the person causing all the grief. Ever wonder how this person would react to your lawyer (taking the fight to them) issuing a cease and desist court order? If you can't afford legal help most states have legal services that provide pro bono legal help.

Oh yes, I was not bring rude. If anything I was being blunt to make the point.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,028,898 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, the ISP has been very cooperative in revealing the contacts made via the e-mail address in question, ....
I have heard of many instances where an ISP is very willing to help victims when their service is used for harassment or illegal activity. If they do not act on it, they can be held liable (in a civil and/or criminal regard) for any damages that may result. I am surprised they gave you the option of whether or not to shut down the account. If I owned the ISP, I would shut him down and block his IP address ASAP, before he gets the ISP in real trouble.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
I have heard of many instances where an ISP is very willing to help victims when their service is used for harassment or illegal activity. If they do not act on it, they can be held liable (in a civil and/or criminal regard) for any damages that may result. I am surprised they gave you the option of whether or not to shut down the account. If I owned the ISP, I would shut him down and block his IP address ASAP, before he gets the ISP in real trouble.
True, but I have to prove that this person is really harassing me; otherwise, they'll be in trouble with their client. Right now, they don't have any proof that the e-mail is being misused.

I actually don't want the ISP to shut down the account, because that's my only venue for identifying this person. As long as he continues with the harassment, I have a shot at figuring out who he is. At that point, I will lower the boom. But, until I know who he is, I want to avoid any action that may escalate the situation and put me and/or my family in danger.

I realized today that I might be able to secure the perpetrator's IP address if I can get him to respond to an e-mail, since IP addresses are found in e-mail headers. But, I have to use a computer other than my own to initiate contact, since I do not want to reveal my IP address and open myself to being hacked.

My spouse has friends who work in internet security and who may be able to help us uncover this person's real identity. At the very least, we might be able to figure out his general location, which will allow me to evaluate whether or not he poses any real physical threat.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:08 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,590,355 times
This reminds me of a crew I use to work with that would rip all the "order now" things from magazines, fill them out with co workers names and mail them in. They did that just because they thought it was funny..

However, this guy has your phone current number (had it anyway) and current address and that is scarey! Who ever it is must be terribly bored with their life..They are either a real annoying practical joker or bored to tears with their own life.

Sounds like you have covered all your bases, you have done things I wouldn't have thought of doing. I just want to wish you luck and hope this ends soon for you.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:28 AM

15,209 posts, read 18,486,202 times
Quote:
I realized today that I might be able to secure the perpetrator's IP address if I can get him to respond to an e-mail, since IP addresses are found in e-mail headers.
You don't have to get them to respond to obtain their IP address. As long as they open the message and their client or webmail service loads embedded images hosted on a web server, you can get their IP.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
You don't have to get them to respond to obtain their IP address. As long as they open the message and their client or webmail service loads embedded images hosted on a web server, you can get their IP.
Well, it's all for moot now. I called everyone.net this morning and they confirmed that the e-mail account has been canceled and there are no longer any records. Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to get the IP address, because all the inquiries made in my name were done using on-line forms.

Tech support at everyone.net, which hosts dcemail.com, suspects that there were other complaints about the address and that dcemail shut it down, although he can't confirm it, so perhaps there were other victims.

At this point, I'm going to continue securing my on-line information and hope that's the end of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or