U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:42 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Unless I'm missing something, there's no way to get the IP address, because all the inquiries made in my name were done using on-line forms.
It's almost a certainty that each of the companies your information was submitted to has the IP of the client machine that was used to fill out the form. That information is generally saved along with a date/time stamp of when the request was made. You could contact each of the companies that are sending you stuff and request the details of that form submission, with an explanation of why. Most probably won't hand it over, but you only need one that will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 03:54 PM

5,748 posts, read 10,866,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's almost a certainty that each of the companies your information was submitted to has the IP of the client machine that was used to fill out the form. That information is generally saved along with a date/time stamp of when the request was made. You could contact each of the companies that are sending you stuff and request the details of that form submission, with an explanation of why. Most probably won't hand it over, but you only need one that will.
Thank you for the suggestion. I have contacted the tech department at one of the companies, and I was referred to the Director of IT. Although he was not in the office when I called, I will follow up with him when he gets back in touch with me.

If I'm lucky, this person used a computer that can be traced, and I'll have a good shot at identifying him. Then, I can decide whether or not to pursue legal action. Wish me luck!

Old 08-09-2010, 04:01 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,970,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I have contacted the tech department at one of the companies, and I was referred to the Director of IT. Although he was not in the office when I called, I will follow up with him when he gets back in touch with me.

If I'm lucky, this person used a computer that can be traced, and I'll have a good shot at identifying him. Then, I can decide whether or not to pursue legal action. Wish me luck!
I hope it doesn't get this bad but this thread may help at some point.......

Protect Your Idenity ,Mine Was Stolen

Best of luck...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or