U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:55 PM

235 posts, read 423,623 times

Advertisements

hello everyone,

I am trying to send a message to someone that I haven't spoken to in years on myspace yet every time I try to add them as a friend or send them a message I get this message "These users were removed since they only allow messages from friends" or " (someone) only accepts add requests from people he/she knows. You must enter (someone)'s email address to send your request." So how do I contact them if I don't know their email address and I don't have any other way of contacting them other than myspace?

Does anybody know what I should do? What do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 11:22 AM

621 posts, read 1,064,775 times
Obviously they have their privacy controls set pretty tight, and are only using MySpace to stay in touch with people they actually communicate with on a regular basis, such as real-life friends and family. Can you see the other people on their friends list, or is it completely private? If you could see some of their other friends, you could possibly try sending one of them a message, explaining who you are and why you are contacting them, and then ask if they would be willing to pass a message along to the person you're trying to contact. Might work, might not. But there really is nothing else you can do. I presume you tried to see if they have a Facebook page?

Old 08-05-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Can you see the other people on their friends list, or is it completely private?
It's completely private. I can see what his current mood, current status update, and what his playlist is but nothing else.

Quote:
I presume you tried to see if they have a Facebook page
That's the first place that I checked and they don't have one.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 AM

Unfortunately, there's not much else you can do. You could potentially post a message in the forums at MySpace, in hopes the person will see it. But it's not a given that they will. Without knowing their email address, you're kinda up a creek. Such is the nature of the privacy settings on the site.

Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 PM

yeah but it's a Catch 22.

Would contacting myspace work or will they tell me the same thing?

Old 08-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhammerman2003 View Post
yeah but it's a Catch 22.
Well, yeah I suppose it is...."you want to contact someone but need to know their email address first. You can't find out their email address because you can't contact them."

I think it's amazing that people feel Facebook has better privacy. My experience with MySpace proved otherwise, as I felt I had better control over who saw what on my MySpace profile.

Quote:
Would contacting myspace work or will they tell me the same thing?
Highly doubtful it would work. They'd most likely tell you what I told you, or some official variation of it. They are going to respect their members' privacy settings first before they give out information about a member.

Old 08-05-2010, 02:42 PM

even if it's say a minor and under the age of the terms of service?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:32 PM

Seriously? If the person is a minor and in violation of the TOS, then I definitely don't think they'd give you the information. The real question is why would you be seeking information about a minor?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 PM

it's someone who I used to babysit when they were younger but they moved far away and now I found the kids that I babysat on myspace but not on facebook.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
it's someone who I used to babysit when they were younger but they moved far away and now I found the kids that I babysat on myspace but not on facebook.
I still don't think MySpace would give you the information. If you know the kid's parents, which I presume you do since you used to babysit this person, it would probably be better for you to contact them instead. You also need to bear in mind how it looks for an adult to try and gain access to the personal contact information of a minor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet