U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 12:19 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,977,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagman View Post
They have no say with what you do or say in your private lives.

What we "say" in private is basically protected. If someone were to claim that you said X,Y,Z... it's just hearsay. There isn't any documentation to substantiate the claim. However, if you go and post those thoughts on a public domain like Facebook, it's an entirely different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 04:55 PM

31,074 posts, read 34,119,107 times
Quote:
Are some of you guys joking? So what if she works there? Who here doesn't bash their employers in their private lives? I don't see what she did that was so wrong, and surely nothing fireable. She worked and brixx and got stiffed on her tip by 2 A-holes that sat there fo 3 hours and left her nothing. I'd have done the same. And probably said it to their faces.

I know this is hard for some of you to grasp, but you are not a slave to your employers. They have no say with what you do or say in your private lives. If anything, brixx should have backed her up and told cheap SOB's to go elsewhere to eat.

Now if she was fired for being on facebook at work when she was told that was not allowed, then fine.
Sure sure. People bash tons of things in their private lives, and usually face consequences if those private things get back to the person they are bashing. That's always how it's been. The difference now is that people are voluntarily bashing on a public forum knowing that it will get back to whoever they are bashing....and then expecting no repercussions. How stupid is that? It's like posting pics of you and your gf on facebook and being SHOCKED when you wife asks you for a divorce.

Common sense hasn't kept up with technology, that's the real issue.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:46 AM

4,578 posts, read 8,189,440 times
Quote:
Are some of you guys joking? So what if she works there? Who here doesn't bash their employers in their private lives? I don't see what she did that was so wrong, and surely nothing fireable. She worked and brixx and got stiffed on her tip by 2 A-holes that sat there fo 3 hours and left her nothing. I'd have done the same. And probably said it to their faces.

I know this is hard for some of you to grasp, but you are not a slave to your employers. They have no say with what you do or say in your private lives. If anything, brixx should have backed her up and told cheap SOB's to go elsewhere to eat.

Now if she was fired for being on facebook at work when she was told that was not allowed, then fine.
Yes, you can do what you like in your private life - but you also have to be accountable for the consequences. In this case, she put her employer in a bad spot on a public forum - which she has every right to do. But her employer also has the right to fire her. They did so because she violated their social media policy, but they probably could have fired her regardless if they had the policy or not.

And just as she had to deal with her actions. Birxx is now dealing with theirs, which has brought them some unwanted attention.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:56 AM

43,968 posts, read 53,794,362 times
Quote:

Naw, if she went around town and talked sh*t about her job and the place, etc, I think they'd have grounds for firing her.
It's the same thing. Huge public forum and she's badmouthing her job, the restaurant, etc.

It's not like she was in her home, privately sharing this with friends.

And actually, think about it...how likely is it that someone on facebook actually ratted her out? Pretty likely.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
It was a social web site, meaning anyone could have seen and ratted her out....end of story. What she did was careless and she got burned when the company found out about it. You never ever talk smack about your current employer to anyone...people do that with their personal friends or colleagues at the job thinking they are in a pact and it would be safe, sadly the ones that rat you out are often the ones you think who wouldn't do such a thing.

Trust no one and watch what you say/do at all times. Realistically, you shouldn't even smack-talk about your former employees, the ones that you might be using as a professional reference. Also no Hiring Manager wants to hear a candidate talk negatively about their former employees even if what they were saying was 100% true. You have to be very diplomatic and stay on the positive side at all times.

Believe me I got burned once or twice (and those are the times I found out about!). As years went by, I have trained myself to keep my mouth shut if I am about to say anything negative...'cause it never benefits you or anyone else.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:23 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,028,898 times
I have little empathy for someone who publically bad-mouths their job, then complains about being fired. Even if your account on Twitter, Facebook, etc. is open to "friends only," anyone on your friends list can re-post your comments on their profile, or show those comments to someone else (such as your boss.)

If you would not say it to a newspaper reporter, don't say it on a social networking site either.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:56 PM

436 posts, read 862,054 times
If you're dumb enough to post personal **** about your job on the internet, you should be fired. I cannot for the life of me understand why people are so willing to give up their "privacy" on sites like Facebook to begin with.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:58 PM

34,270 posts, read 59,588,758 times
Employers would be smart to have a "Social Media Policy" in employee handbooks, specifically indicating that discussion of the place of employment may be grounds for termination.

No sympathy here for the original case, just a point.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:14 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,028,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Employers would be smart to have a "Social Media Policy" in employee handbooks, specifically indicating that discussion of the place of employment may be grounds for termination.

No sympathy here for the original case, just a point.
Very good point. A couple of years ago, this came up when I was talking with someone who works in the Admissions Department at a very large State university. Their department has a policy that prohibits certain content on employees' Facebook pages, and other soicial networking sites. For example, the employee cannot be tagged in any photos that contain alcohol or any type of inappropiate behavior. I can't recall the other specifics. The policy was written once the University discovered that parnets of incoming Freshmen were "checking out" the admissions staff who talked with them and their children prior to admission.

Many employers have policies that prohibit staff from making public statements about the company or agency that are negative or derogatory in nature. I wolud think that such comments on a social networking site would fall under this category.

I allow others to tag photos of me on Facebook, but I have configured my profile settings to send me an e-mail whenever I am tagged. I carefully review every photo that has my face on it, and I have untagged myself in a few photos from my college days, as they potrayted me in less than a positive light.

One should also keep in mind that if any state, federal, or private agency does a background check on you, for whatever reason, your Facebook profile will likely be reviewed as a part of this process. This is a farily new trend.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:26 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
One should also keep in mind that if any state, federal, or private agency does a background check on you, for whatever reason, your Facebook profile will likely be reviewed as a part of this process. This is a farily new trend.
How the heck the Facebook profile of a person can be included in their background check? It makes no more sense than someone smack-talking their current employer without any anonymity. A social network site profile, even if fully accessible is not conclusive or factual enough to include in the background search.

Anyhow, because of this and similar, stupid trends and sneaky companies spying on their candidates and current employees, whatever fun social networking sites like Facebook ever had quickly became more headache than they are ever worth. I did away with my Facebook account months ago and don't really miss it anything. After a month or so, once the novelty wore of, it got lame and boring real quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or