U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,391,206 times

Advertisements

Yes. This policy is nothing new, people. You always could be fired for things you did off hours. With things like Facebook they just have a way to prove you did it.

It is no different than you going on the radio bitching about your boss and saying the company sucks, you steal supplies, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 11:16 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,854,181 times
If you can't stay away from Facebook until you get home from work, then you've got some serious problems. Call me a Neanderthal if you must, but I have this weird idea that you should concentrate on the job you're being paid to do. If you can't manage to do that, then you shouldn't be surprised if you get fired.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:14 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,839,849 times
This goes to show you that, seemingly insignificant people only get noticed online when they do or say something stupid, something that can and usually do get them in trouble.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:41 AM

6,611 posts, read 11,428,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Common sense hasn't kept up with technology, that's the real issue.

+1
^^ True words

Old 08-28-2010, 01:42 AM

56,558 posts, read 75,646,195 times
people's concept of job rights is very out of touch. w/o unions they can jolly do what they want with you.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 AM

5,473 posts, read 13,781,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
...I cannot for the life of me understand why people are so willing to give up their "privacy" on sites like Facebook to begin with.
Personal privacy/anonymity is perhaps one of the most precious gifts any human could ever desire. In such a technologically advanced age as this, when nearly everyone seems to crave individual attention and can easily be seen or heard anywhere/anytime whether we like it or not, personal privacy is even more rare and delicate. Just ask those who have lived in the spotlight (or under the microscope) for a while. They especially place great value in any fleeting moment of "privacy" they can obtain.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:05 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,837,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
So, I don't know if anyone has seen the story on the CO website about Ashley Johnson who got fired from her pizza job at Brixx Pizza, some local business because someone had sent her employer a copy of a facebook post blasting the people and mentioning the business by name. She said she didn't leave it open, and didn't know how the company got it, but they fired her as a result. Just curious what everyone on this forum thinks about this. I'm still pretty young, but whatever happened to being off the clock? She's stupid for doing this, but personally, I don't think she should have been fired for something that she did privately in her own time. I know that a lot of employess are "at will" employees, so they risk this happening, but it feels like a freedom of speech violation. Thoughts?
She bad mouthed the company in a public venue--what did she expect to happen?

Old 10-16-2010, 08:56 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,241,114 times
Default Should you get fired for a facebook posting

Quote:
So, I don't know if anyone has seen the story on the CO website about Ashley Johnson who got fired from her pizza job at Brixx Pizza, some local business because someone had sent her employer a copy of a facebook post blasting the people and mentioning the business by name. She said she didn't leave it open, and didn't know how the company got it, but they fired her as a result. Just curious what everyone on this forum thinks about this. I'm still pretty young, but whatever happened to being off the clock? She's stupid for doing this, but personally, I don't think she should have been fired for something that she did privately in her own time. I know that a lot of employess are "at will" employees, so they risk this happening, but it feels like a freedom of speech violation. Thoughts?
Being young is not an excuse, nor is being dumb. Have you ever heard of "Defamation of Character". It is a law that prohibits people from lying about or 'bad mouthing' other people or businesses. You can be sued in civil court, and I'm sure that someone could be fired with no repercusstions whatsoever. I say she deserves it. Most companies have rules, if you break them, you loose your job. Being off the clock has nothing to do with it, freedom of speech doesn't always apply. You yell 'fire' in a movie theater full of people and see how freedom of speech protects you.

Before I retired I employed 6 women whose job it was to answer the phone, record messages and dispatch emergency services. I had an employee handbook they all read and agreed to abide by, before they were employed. Once employed they were on probation for six months. I fired one person because she couldn't type or spell, another because she told her lesbian girl friend what she did at work and where she worked, another woman because she lied on her resume about her age. Most of these women ended up being very good friends, one of them worked for me for 11 years. The ones that wanted a paycheck without the work didn't last long. The ones that lasted got a bonus of $500 for Christmas.

Last edited by Nite Ryder; 10-16-2010 at 09:27 PM..

Old 10-16-2010, 09:50 PM

20,679 posts, read 14,647,501 times
Quote:
I'm still pretty young, but whatever happened to being off the clock? She's stupid for doing this, but personally, I don't think she should have been fired for something that she did privately in her own time.
My heart just bleeds for her. Her parents should have sent her to a private school where she could have gotten a far superior education and maybe learned some responsibility. In addition to being fired for nonsense you post on FreakBook, you can be denied a job, as many are.

A lot of employers screen resumes by reviewing FreakBook. I'm going to hire you right out of college and there's your photos and videos barfing all over the place and smoking dope and having an orgy?

No way, no employer needs that kind of potential liability.

Quote:
I know that a lot of employess are "at will" employees, so they risk this happening, but it feels like a freedom of speech violation. Thoughts?
I guess in your high school government class they forgot to mention that the Amendments to the US Constitution are protections from the government, not private groups or individuals. In other words you have the right to exercise free speech for or against the government, but not for or against corporations, companies, groups or other people.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:55 PM

219 posts, read 416,815 times
I hate companies with the mentality that what one person says, becomes the law. (or wishes)

That's a Taliban mentality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or