U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 12:51 AM

5,546 posts, read 8,740,212 times

Advertisements

Thoughts are it's not real bright to bash your employer, in any venue, at any time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:59 PM

6,816 posts, read 12,018,317 times
Another reason why I don't friend anyone from work on Facebook. If you must, then create a separate account for your professional acquaintances and keep your personal account separate and private.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM

12 posts, read 16,935 times
In general and as a person that has been fired over a Facebook post I don't think it's fair to get fired over what you post on Facebook depending on what it is. For example if you post something like I did just saying you had a bad day at work ("Blah I had to say 30 mins late today because this stupid women couldn't follow simple instructions I ****ing hate people sometimes.") you should not get fired for that. However if you get in to specifics such as listing the company name in the post or the department you work in or the customers name or product they were buying/had and the post is negative then yes that should be ground for you to get fired.

You can't go around saying things like "Walmart is a ****ing **** store that sells crap don't ever shop there" if you work at Walmart. That's kind of dumb and can make the company look bad. The company does have the right to try and keep the image clean (even if what you said was true).

Ashley Johnson main issue was that she stated Brixx (the name of the company) in her post and because of this the company could take the stance that if the post went public like her Facebook was set to Public or someone that had a problem with her or the company re-posted it somewhere else like a public forum it could make the company look bad. I mean you wouldn't eat at a place where you know the wait staff was talking smack about you behind your back.

Old 08-07-2011, 05:33 PM

8,565 posts, read 9,802,567 times
Should you get fired for a facebook posting

Sounds like a personal responsibility issue, one of the perks of liberties.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:26 AM

13,306 posts, read 20,356,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
If she is trashing the place on Facebook, her friends might decide they don't want to eat there. That hurts the business so they have every right to fire her.
Brilliant! Fire her! Now she'll stop trashing us!

Old 08-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,892 posts, read 33,621,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Brilliant! Fire her! Now she'll stop trashing us!
Why should a business pay someone whose off-duty activities are hurting the business?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 AM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
When I was in a position to hire I never hired stupid people. That person would likely fail the stupid test and never be hired in the first place.

Yes to the original question. If you're stupid enough to trash your employer on Facebook and think no one will notice you should be fired. Maybe the next time you get on FB you'll use at least part of your brain, or what's left of it..

Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
people's concept of job rights is very out of touch. w/o unions they can jolly do what they want with you.
IMO, people should learn to update their concept of job rights, and get the hell out of the unions. It just costs more for everything. Period.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:41 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,075,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
I hate companies with the mentality that what one person says, becomes the law. (or wishes)

That's a Taliban mentality.
Could you fine tune what you said? If you are talking about company management, that IS law as far as they are concerned. You can work there and follow the rules -- rules that protect not only the company and other employees -- or not work there. If you agree to the rules and break them, you might have a harder time finding work.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:47 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,705,780 times
Yes, I believe she should have been fired. We all complain about our jobs sometimes, it's natural and it's ok. In fact, I've been in her position, and if her story is true, those people deserved those words and I feel that she was correct in her attitude, but not in her actions. She posted it on the Internet......not at all a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or