U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:47 PM

13,306 posts, read 20,356,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Why should a business pay someone whose off-duty activities are hurting the business?
That wasn't what I was saying. Firing them, however, is not going to stop them from trashing the business and encouraging people to take their business elsewhere. Why is firing them the only possible solution to the problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,705,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
That wasn't what I was saying. Firing them, however, is not going to stop them from trashing the business and encouraging people to take their business elsewhere. Why is firing them the only possible solution to the problem?
I don't believe there should have to be any other solution. Why is it the responsibility of the restaurant? She screwed up, and she's out the door. It happens, she'll just have to move along and learn from this.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:59 PM

18,852 posts, read 32,248,520 times
Where I worked, a guy posted he was out partying on his boat...on a day he called in sick...DOPE! He was called in on that one! Written up...

Old 08-08-2011, 06:34 PM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
IMO, people should learn to update their concept of job rights, and get the hell out of the unions. It just costs more for everything. Period.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

George Santayana

Old 08-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,892 posts, read 33,621,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Where I worked, a guy posted he was out partying on his boat...on a day he called in sick...DOPE! He was called in on that one! Written up...
There was a TV sportscaster here who reportedly lost his job after calling in sick and then posting on social media how thrilled he was to be at an event in Washington, DC.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
I don't believe there should have to be any other solution. Why is it the responsibility of the restaurant? She screwed up, and she's out the door. It happens, she'll just have to move along and learn from this.
Okay then. Why was she fired? The post I replied to said that she was trashing them and that it would hurt business. That's clearly not the case if they fire her and just accept that they're going to get trashed because of it. They must not think it will hurt their business. What, then, was the reason?

I think you're also misunderstanding me. I don't care if she was fired or not. I'm talking more about the particular point above.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 PM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
Quote:
Okay then. Why was she fired? The post I replied to said that she was trashing them and that it would hurt business. That's clearly not the case if they fire her and just accept that they're going to get trashed because of it. They must not think it will hurt their business. What, then, was the reason?

I think you're also misunderstanding me. I don't care if she was fired or not. I'm talking more about the particular point above.
Expect some loyalty. They are being paid to do a job and that includes the aforementioned loyalty. If an employee does what this person did they should be fired. Whether or not they trash-talk the business is a moot point since they are doing it whether they work there or not. Why pay them while they trash your business?

Old 08-09-2011, 12:48 PM

1,480 posts, read 4,524,853 times
Yes. Facebook is a public medium. It is not your personal diary where you can say what you want and expect confidentiality or immunity.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:22 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,705,780 times
Quote:

No, I think we're pretty clear. I also do not care one way or another if she got fired or not. Basically (from what the story says) she had a table (she's a waitress, well, was lol) that stayed nearly 2 hours after the restaurant had closed, had several people (don't remember exactly how many, more than 5 I think), and the entire table left the girl a 5 dollar tip. She was not bashing the company, she was bashing the customers who were rude to her.

Now, honestly I don't read into that story thinking that she's a victim here. She might have given them terrible service. The check might have said "for parties of 8 or more, gratuity is 15%" or whatever. I really don't care.

I was mainly saying that you'd said "Why is firing them the only possible solution to the problem?" and it's my belief that there really shouldn't have to be any other solution. I think we as a society severely over complicate things. We don't need 15 types of health insurance options, we don't need double mocha extra half calf in our coffee (I don't drink coffee so I really have no idea what I just said), we don't need multiple solutions to a very simplistic problem.

She works for a company. She screws up and makes the company look bad (or invites the potential). She doesn't need to work there anymore.

Like I said, we all have bad days and bad customers and co workers and all that. I get that. Posting it on the internet, however, is a stupid mistake and she just needs to take it as a lesson and move on (and from what the story says, she's done that gracefully).

I don't want this to sound like I'm trying to argue with you or anything, it's not that at all. I think you and I are on the same page here and have similar outlooks on the situation (i.e. - we just really don't give a s#!t ).

Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
(i.e. - we just really don't give a s#!t ).
You hit the nail right on the head!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or