U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:56 PM

7,376 posts, read 13,032,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanielkit88 View Post
I got fired because of my 1-3yrs old Facebook photos of me in a party or drinking. I coach volleyball for a high school team. I think I did my job well and taking the team to the playoffs (they haven't been in the playoffs for years). I haven't been in a party or even went out for a drink this whole year (before and during my coaching season).

I'm heartbroken because I really loved coaching. I was told it will go on my record so I can no longer be employed in the county or state involving kids. I am in college right now taking classes to major in Math for teaching high school. I guess now I would have to change my whole career goals.....

I didn't know that what I did in the past and partying is prohibited. It makes me really sad.
Thats f'd up man. Sorry to hear that. I find it ridiculous and I hope you find a way to sue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 03:36 PM

522 posts, read 580,122 times
my company has a social media policy and even before they did i would never disrepect them on fb. everything you do on the internet lives on...

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,028,898 times
Keep in mind that you can set your privacy settings to block everyone except your friends. This would make it difficult or impossible for an employer to get much data from your profile, unless the person doing the background check happened to be your friend. However, there is nothing preventing one of your friends from showing your profile data and pictures to someone. Even if your boss is not on your friends list (or even if he/she does not have a Facebook account), someone who is on your friends list can always show them your postings.

Sanielkit88's termination was probably a little over the top, but it just goes to show that you unfortunately cannot be too careful. Review all your photos regularly, and delete photos that have anything that is the least bit inappropriate. If you are tagged in an inappropriate photo on someone else's account, you can untag yourself, and then ask him/her to delete it. If they refuse, you can always report the photo as inappropriate.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:45 PM

2,182 posts, read 4,705,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
You know, I just noticed something in the Facebook "Statement of Rights and Responsibilities". Under section 4 - "Registration and Account Security" - line #4 states you will not use your profile for commercial gain, and in parenthesis it gives the example of selling your status update to advertisers. What exactly does that mean? I thought you owned whatever content and information you uploaded to your page, so long as it doesn't violate any copyright. So wouldn't that include some sort of original, witty message you come up with and choose to post as your status update...?

For example, if you post "It was a peaceful stormy night" as your status update, which you believe to be something you came up with all on your own...and then thought it might make a catchy slogan for a mattress store...would the FB Terms prohibit you from selling that slogan to the mattress store??

Or am I misunderstanding something?
I'm pretty sure they mean that you can't tell people "for $5 I'll post that I really LOVE your product" - also everything you post on facebook, including photos and videos, become property of facebook. You no longer own rights to it.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:04 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,028,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
....{snip}everything you post on facebook, including photos and videos, become property of facebook. You no longer own rights to it.
Interesting. So, in regards to insightofitall's example: you could not sell that slogan to the mattress store, but Facebook could?! :-)

Old 12-05-2011, 09:34 AM

901 posts, read 2,043,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
- also everything you post on facebook, including photos and videos, become property of facebook. You no longer own rights to it.
Where are you getting that from?

They state you own the content you upload, and give them permission (grant them a license) to use it. It doesn't say the content becomes their property, nor does it say you no longer own the rights to it.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:03 AM

6,917 posts, read 4,690,081 times
People are stupid, so they post something without thinking of the consequences that may happen to them as a result of that posting.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:06 AM

119 posts, read 201,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
People are stupid, so they post something without thinking of the consequences that may happen to them as a result of that posting.
They also post replies to things that are a month old, quietly dying in the bottom of the list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or