U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:57 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,114,374 times

Advertisements

So, I don't know if anyone has seen the story on the CO website about Ashley Johnson who got fired from her pizza job at Brixx Pizza, some local business because someone had sent her employer a copy of a facebook post blasting the people and mentioning the business by name. She said she didn't leave it open, and didn't know how the company got it, but they fired her as a result. Just curious what everyone on this forum thinks about this. I'm still pretty young, but whatever happened to being off the clock? She's stupid for doing this, but personally, I don't think she should have been fired for something that she did privately in her own time. I know that a lot of employess are "at will" employees, so they risk this happening, but it feels like a freedom of speech violation. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 PM

10,482 posts, read 8,326,467 times
This is old news, no?

Regardless, did she have anything on her Facebook page that identified her as a Brixx employee (pics or text)? If so, that reflects negatively on the company and thus, she should be held just as responsible as if she'd said it "on the clock".

Bottom line - keep personal stuff personal and business stuff at the workplace. I don't have anything on my Facebook page that talks about who my employer is. Nor am I friends with any other employees, let alone my boss.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:06 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,078,027 times
She and others from other places have gotten the boot for Face book postings. Check this out
Search: Fired over Facebook posts - Fired over Facebook - 1 (http://specials.msn.com/A-List/Lifestyle/Fired-over-Facebook.aspx?cp-documentid=25096286&imageindex=1&cp-searchtext=fired%20over%20facebook - broken link)

I do not put anything on my facebook that anyone could use against me in a court of law or life.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:24 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,256,087 times
Yes, freedom of speech does not include the distribution of slander on the internet.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,892 posts, read 33,621,908 times
If your employer can figure out that you're criticizing your employer on an anonymous message board like this, I imagine that would be a firable offense, too.

I know of another message board where members who objected to something another member posted took it upon themselves to contact the posting member's employer and complain about it. It was easy for them to do because the posting member had revealed who his/her employer was.

On Facebook, it's a slam dunk that criticizing your employer is a no-no, because everything you post there is under your own identity. I imagine more and more employee handbooks around the country are going to start making what employees can say about the workplace in social media an official rule.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 AM

4,578 posts, read 8,189,440 times
This is actually a fairly 'popular' issue with HR and info security departments these days. I know we're also in the process of creating a social media policy. In essence, both parties have responsibilities - employees should have the common sense to not do anything stupid that would make your employer look bad, however, employers should also put forth the effort to set some guideline on what's expected.

And as far as I know (not a lawyer) freedom of speech doesn't apply here since your constitutional rights typically deals with your interactions with the government. So being fired by a private employer for something you said isn't protected by your constitutional rights.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:32 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,078,027 times
I had a friend (young girl) at a work related meeting post on facebook how boring the meeting was while at the meeting and who knew they could be that boring. Can you believe that? I responded to be careful what you put on facebook. People do not think. When I have something to say I think before I write how it could get back to someone and be used against me. Think before you print.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:52 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,772,311 times
If she is trashing the place on Facebook, her friends might decide they don't want to eat there. That hurts the business so they have every right to fire her.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:06 AM

91 posts, read 215,708 times
Yes. She wouldn't say those things to a customer (I hope!) and she shouldn't have it posted where her customers could see it.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:02 PM

160 posts, read 360,981 times
Are some of you guys joking? So what if she works there? Who here doesn't bash their employers in their private lives? I don't see what she did that was so wrong, and surely nothing fireable. She worked and brixx and got stiffed on her tip by 2 A-holes that sat there fo 3 hours and left her nothing. I'd have done the same. And probably said it to their faces.

I know this is hard for some of you to grasp, but you are not a slave to your employers. They have no say with what you do or say in your private lives. If anything, brixx should have backed her up and told cheap SOB's to go elsewhere to eat.

Now if she was fired for being on facebook at work when she was told that was not allowed, then fine.

Last edited by cagman; 08-08-2010 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or