U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:30 AM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Getting paid for your work is one thing ... having your grandchildren benefit from your few hours of brilliance 70 years after your death due to copyright extensions takes things a bit far, in my opinion.

I'd love to get paid that way for the past 20 years of software development I've done. And yes, most of that 20-year-old code is still in production use to this day.
It works the same for us IT software guys. There is little difference.

Although I don't have 20 years of code behind me, I do get paid in a licensing manner. I have code (a stand alone product) which is 9 years old that I get licensing fees for. Not a lot (less than $200k/year), but it still works in the same fashion. I only have a handful of users of my code, while a music artist has millions of users, so the income is proportionate.

If you're writing code and getting paid for it once, then you're failing at capitalism, or you're supporting someone else's success at capitalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 02:01 AM

11,319 posts, read 22,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If you're writing code and getting paid for it once, then you're failing at capitalism, or you're supporting someone else's success at capitalism.
Nah, I'm taking the easy way out (writing software for corporate interests and signing those intellectual rights away in most cases) because I love the complexity of the presented problem sets and appreciate the additional benefits provided by a large company.

There's a lot more to living than just adding up one's income, and I don't regret it a bit. However ... How dare you inject reality into the discussion? ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or