Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:48 PM

43 posts, read 27,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
But you seem to be upset about it being available for a fee over the Internet.

The point is that the same information can be obtained from your courthouse. Most of what you mention is not private, it's public. If you're so upset about it you need to start a campaign to close down public access to public records. Or move to Russia.

In this case you are aiming your indignation at the wrong target. How, exactly, do you think SEARCH.COM got that information? The entities you list above gave it to them, that's how. Start screaming at them for releasing the info, they're the ones to blame.
Start screaming at them??? The only one who's screaming here is you Tek_Freek. That maybe your strategy for dealing with issues, I have no doubts about it. I and others haven't screamed at anybody. I posted a topic on this forum like hundreds of other people have. I feel that as a consumer, I have the right to question why private information including my SSN is available on the internet. Again, I realize that a lot of people are OK with having theirs up for grabs. That seems to be a reality. Then, again, many other people are questioning why private information is being sold WITHOUT THEIR CONSENT. It is a matter of opinion Tek_Freek. And no, I won't be moving to Russia any time soon, but it might be a good place for you to go and scream your head off.

Last edited by Catessa; 08-11-2010 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Lmao!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:32 AM

43 posts, read 27,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Lmao!

GAL

GAL

GAL Preferably in Russia and away from here...

Old 08-14-2010, 11:57 PM

7 posts, read 12,957 times
Society will be divided between those who are Management of Information Science majors/ Computer Engineers and those who do everything else. We will enslave you. We already view you as non human. You people are more like those little money trees in the Sims which we shall pluck for our benefit.

Hold on a second, I have to turn off my robot. He's sharpening the knives again, I keep inputting the /quit command but he and the others continue to mess with my cutlery and various gardening implements. I think they're planning something.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catessa View Post
GAL

GAL

GAL Preferably in Russia and away from here...

I love posters who come on forums to complain, then complain about the responses they receive, then get snarky when they don't get the requisite response.

Old 08-15-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgangovich View Post
Society will be divided between those who are Management of Information Science majors/ Computer Engineers and those who do everything else. We will enslave you. We already view you as non human. You people are more like those little money trees in the Sims which we shall pluck for our benefit.

Hold on a second, I have to turn off my robot. He's sharpening the knives again, I keep inputting the /quit command but he and the others continue to mess with my cutlery and various gardening implements. I think they're planning something.
I caught mine tossing knives at a target. Should I be concerned?

Old 08-15-2010, 02:08 PM

6,926 posts, read 6,550,563 times
Default Privacy

Unfortunately in todays world most anyone can obtain information on just about anyone whether it's for sale or not.....

Old 08-15-2010, 11:00 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
As far as I know, all the information available is from public records. Nothing about me is available on any such sites that is not public record.

A woman that I once lived in sin with, who received mail at the same address, could show up as "possible relative", I suppose, but we weren't exactly trying to live together in secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catessa View Post
(not just a lawyer or someone who has valid reason).
As far as I know, being a lawyer (or anything else) does not give anyone a 'valid reason' for knowing things about me that are not public record.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As far as I know, all the information available is from public records. Nothing about me is available on any such sites that is not public record.

A woman that I once lived in sin with, who received mail at the same address, could show up as "possible relative", I suppose, but we weren't exactly trying to live together in secret.

As far as I know, being a lawyer (or anything else) does not give anyone a 'valid reason' for knowing things about me that are not public record.
The problem that the OP has is that it gave her SS number out, and I think she mentioned some other things that aren't in the public domain. She is right to be upset about that. The problem I tried to point out to her and she got upset about (probably because I was being my usually obnoxious self) was that the companies that you pay to give you the data are collecting it from somewhere else. If companies, schools, etc weren't making it available they wouldn't have it to sell. The problem is the organizations selling to those places, if they didn't it wouldn't be available for the sleaze bags to make money on.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:55 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
I was surprised I could go to the courthouse and find out where somebody lived if they voted. He was an old buddy of mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet