U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:38 PM

43 posts, read 21,507 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Are you all aware that your private information is for grabs on sites such as USSEARCH, PRIVATEYE, Intellius, etc.? I find this trend worrisome because for a small fee anyone can get information regarding who your neighbors are, whether you own property, if you're married or not, your income, etc. I never anticipated the time would come when you have no right to anonymity. What rights do these sites have to sell our information online? What are your thoughts on this issue?

Last edited by Bo; 08-09-2010 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 05:49 PM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
It's only a shortcut. I can find out everything you listed without using those sites.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM

39,761 posts, read 57,642,611 times
I agree with Tek_Freek, but I am not sure about the income part. I think that the income part is just generalized estimate... no?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
It's only a shortcut. I can find out everything you listed without using those sites.

I know that it is possible to go to a court house and get records of what's considered "public information." My point is that by making this information readily available online, anyone (not just a lawyer or someone who has valid reason) can access this information. This is the part that I find disturbing. As of the extent of information available on the sites I mentioned, I can assure you that more than you care to share with the public is there. How do I know this? I purchased my own report and found the names of my neighbors next to my address. My SSN and other information I don't share with anyone was also there. Again, when and who asked for my consent to display this info? The only people I've ever shared this with are my former college, bank, and lending institutions. I shred my mail and practice common sense to not have my identity stolen. Perhaps I am in the minority here who believes sites such as SEARCH.COM and others have taken privacy intrusion to a whole other level.

Last edited by Catessa; 08-09-2010 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 08-09-2010, 11:04 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,922,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catessa View Post
Hi,

Are you all aware that your private information is for grabs on sites such as USSEARCH, PRIVATEYE, Intellius, etc.? I find this trend worrisome because for a small fee anyone can get information regarding who your neighbors are, whether you own property, if you're married or not, your income, etc. I never anticipated the time would come when you have no right to anonymity. What rights do these sites have to sell our information online? What are your thoughts on this issue?
Yes, I am aware that sites like this exist, and I agree with you that private information should not be available for anyone willing to pay a fee.
I don't even like these people search sites that give you someone's age and the names of their relatives when you put in a name. I tried this using my own name on a site I can't recall, and up came my current age and the names of my brother, mother and father - including my Mom's middle name, which is particularly disturbing since the middle name of your mother or father is often used as a security question at banking and other financial websites.

Quote:
I purchased my own report and found the names of my neighbors next to my address. My SSN and other information I don't share with anyone was also there.
Now that is really disturbing. With all the talk about identity theft today, and how we should safeguard information like our SSN and driver's license numbers, what right do these companies have to make this information available to anyone who pays them a fee?
I think the only way this kind of thing will stop is if enough people contact their senators and congressmen and tell them that enough is enough.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,391,206 times
My thought is if you want privacy, then go to a deserted island. You really have never had a right to anonymity. Information has always been out there and up for grabs. It is just much easier to get than it used to be.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I know that it is possible to go to a court house and get records of what's considered "public information."
The courthouse records are now online in most places. It's not necessary to go there...

As for your SSN number I'd be talking to the SS Administration about that. I'm pretty sure that information is illegal for anyone to disseminate.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:01 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,643,650 times
What is the big deal? Available on the web ~yawn~

In other words before the web none of this information was available to those who knew the ropes?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
What is the big deal? Available on the web ~yawn~

In other words before the web none of this information was available to those who knew the ropes?

Like I said before, I am in the minority in that I actually care about my information not being displayed for a fee to just anyone without my consent. I see that many people here hold the belief that it's natural to have private information made available and I get those points of view. I still have the choice not to agree with them, so, I choose not to.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Like I said before, I am in the minority in that I actually care about my information not being displayed for a fee to just anyone without my consent. I see that many people here hold the belief that it's natural to have private information made available and I get those points of view. I still have the choice not to agree with them, so, I choose not to.

But you seem to be upset about it being available for a fee over the Internet.

The point is that the same information can be obtained from your courthouse. Most of what you mention is not private, it's public. If you're so upset about it you need to start a campaign to close down public access to public records. Or move to Russia.

Quote:
The only people I've ever shared this with are my former college, bank, and lending institutions. I shred my mail and practice common sense to not have my identity stolen. Perhaps I am in the minority here who believes sites such as SEARCH.COM and others have taken privacy intrusion to a whole other level.
In this case you are aiming your indignation at the wrong target. How, exactly, do you think SEARCH.COM got that information? The entities you list above gave it to them, that's how. Start screaming at them for releasing the info, they're the ones to blame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet