U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
Or... do like everyone else and put a watermark on them.
My experience has been to be effective enough to prevent it being removed they need to be too large and obtrusive. Most of the watermarks I see would only slow someone down that knows how to use an editor well. It's effective to the point that they will try and find an image without a mark but ultimately if they want to remove it they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 09:42 AM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Jawhol! I slapped myself silly and now I'm goose-stepping my way to bed (you do realize you are communicating with another adult, right?).
I thought so until I read this post.

I have also noticed the OP has not returned. No surprise there... Probably trying to figure out what the teens are downloading today.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:06 AM

12,270 posts, read 9,608,374 times
I have part of the story but I need to know if I'm having smoke blown at me. My son claims his girlfriend used his netbook to download a movie to her iPhone. He thought she was using her Netflix account.

I don't know a thing about bit torrent, or if this is even a plausible excuse. He's back in college and suddenly incommunicado (just wait till he needs money!).

Does this excuse make any sense? Does he have to have a bit torrent account on his netbook, or would she have one on her iPhone and just used our Internet account?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:30 AM

7,376 posts, read 13,032,102 times
Quote:
I have part of the story but I need to know if I'm having smoke blown at me. My son claims his girlfriend used his netbook to download a movie to her iPhone. He thought she was using her Netflix account.

I don't know a thing about bit torrent, or if this is even a plausible excuse. He's back in college and suddenly incommunicado (just wait till he needs money!).

Does this excuse make any sense? Does he have to have a bit torrent account on his netbook, or would she have one on her iPhone and just used our Internet account?

I think what he meant was the movie was downloaded on the netbook and transferred over to her iphone which is entirely possible. Yes he most likely had a bittorrent client on the netbook. A bittorrent client is not needed on the iphone to transfer the movie to the iphone once it has been downloaded on the netbook. I hope that makes sense.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:47 AM

12,270 posts, read 9,608,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
I think what he meant was the movie was downloaded on the netbook and transferred over to her iphone which is entirely possible. Yes he most likely had a bittorrent client on the netbook. A bittorrent client is not needed on the iphone to transfer the movie to the iphone once it has been downloaded on the netbook. I hope that makes sense.
It does make sense, thank you. Now I'm even more ticked off.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:46 PM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
Hey, Dockside!

My apologies. Trying to rib you some and it (as usual when a keyboard and screen are in the middle of the conversation) came out more harsh than I intended.

Old 08-27-2010, 04:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,892 posts, read 33,621,908 times
OP should be glad he didn't get the kind of infringement letter that comes with an invoice. I've read articles about companies sending out bills of up to $15,000 for sharing their content. Then the erstwhile infringer is often able to negotiate that down to a more affordable amount.

I wonder why the overseas spam scammers haven't tried this tactic for extorting money from folks in the US.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:38 PM

1,255 posts, read 3,028,898 times
Quote:
One of my kids or their friends downloaded a movie over Bit Torrent. Everyone is denying it of course, so everyone is catching equal hell tonight.
Don't allow your kids to use this program. Block your router from allowing access to these ports (do a Google search to find out how.) Be happy that you only received warning, but take that warning seriously.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 PM

4,100 posts, read 6,241,114 times
Default Got My First Copyright Infringement Notice Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
This whole thing seems like a setup to me, I mean if it is that illegal or a big o problem, then go after the person/PC that is sharing it not the people downloading it. After all, if you buy a stolen item from a person, the cops can't press charges on you, instead they go after the guy who stole that item in the first place. I dunno that is the way I look at it.

All that 'You got nothing to worry about if you don't break the law' is a meaningless preaching at this point since there is a very fine line between what is considered legal and what is not, too many voices but no one really knows what is right and what is wrong regardless of what law states. After all, the law on this topic is often mandated by corporations who weigh in on the justice system by influencing things to according to their own agenda.

If companies were a lot more reasonable with their pricing, perhaps many people who are using these torrents sites wouldn't think it was worth the hassle, but you are charging around $20 for DVD of movies in this economy and where 90%+ of the movies aren't worth even renting for $1 a day. Same goes for music CDs, if they were selling for half the price, I guarantee majority of the people would prefer to purchase the CDs. I was using MP3 purchasing sites like Amazon because it is very rare where you find an album from an artist you like where all songs are worth paying for, so on an average, from an album with 12 songs, I would only like to buy about half a dozen at the most., costing me about $6. Then buy another dozen from 2-3 more albums of the same band/singer and make my own kickass compilation, costing about $12-$18, where if I had to buy 3-4 CDs where I got my compilation from, it'd cost me $45-$60+.

I don't know what I kind of a point I was trying to make, usually after the first drink I stop making sense so it is amazing I am still typing after finishing my 2nd one. I guess all I am saying is, do whatever the heck your heat desires, I won't preach about what you should do or shouldn't do as I am no Angel myself, just don't talk about it in public and make sure to cover your tracks. I guess the smart hardcore torrent freaks are using their neighbor's unsecured Wi-Fi connection or something like that...

what I don't get it, even if these companies are really monitoring you, how can they prove it that you actually downloaded what they claim, they have to find it on your machine or in your possession. Otherwise it is their word against yours. Even if you commit a crime, their accusations and they claims have to be brought to justice in a legal manner, kind of like the reason why cops need a search warrant to enter your place to search for evidence. If they do not have one, you can tell them to take a hike, same should go for those companies doing the monitoring.

Tek, $140 for a single visit? Damn you are overcharging the guy! Talk about illegal activity...lol.
I hope you and everyone else reading this knows you are wrong! Most all states have a law referred to as: "Receiving Stolen Property", another charge that can be used is: "Theft By Receiving". Downloading anything with a Copy Right on it is against the law, end of story. I doen't matter if the seller is changing more than his product is worth, if you don't like it don't buy it. But, if you steal it you could get into serious trouble. There is more to it than saying it is not on your machine.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:14 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
I hope you and everyone else reading this knows you are wrong! Most all states have a law referred to as: "Receiving Stolen Property", another charge that can be used is: "Theft By Receiving".
Can you site one instance where someone has been arrested for this? To the best of my knowledge it's not a criminal act and no one has ever been prosecuted for downloading a song. There's been plenty of people sued by the copyright owners or their representatives but that is not the same thing because it's a civil case.

Distribution is different but we need to differentiate here between the teenager distributing a few songs over P2P and the criminal enterprise that is distributing massive amounts of materials making millions. In those cases there has been arrests..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or