U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 03:08 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgomez912 View Post
At the moment there is a lot of internet warfare going on O.o Fans of the popular piratebay are DDoS attacking anti-piracy companies and bringing their sites down and other pirate sites are joining the fight to make piracy legal.
I don't agree with many of licensing restrictions and other things big media does but when you work you expect to get paid don't you? I'd also assume you would only accept a job at what you felt was a fair wage?

Why would these rules not apply to those creating and selling music or movies?

It's their work/property and how they are compensated for it is up to them, if you don't agree with their demands then don't buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 12:28 AM

4,100 posts, read 6,241,114 times
Default Got My First Copyright Infringement Notice Today Reload this Page Reply to Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Ahhh, an RIAA employee speaks up
I have nothing to do with RIAA, but RIAA has prosecuted people for downloading music. The fact remains, if the music is copyrighted and you download it without paying for it, you are stealing it. It doesn't make any difference to me what any of you do as far as downloading music. It is certainly none of my business, but it's illegal to do so, if it's one song or a thousand songs. Someone has stopped many of the torrent sites from making music available to the general public, if it was legal, these torrent sites would still be in operation.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:13 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Someone has stopped many of the torrent sites from making music available to the general public, if it was legal, these torrent sites would still be in operation.
While I support the rights of the copyright owners this is one thing that really gets me going. The trouble here is they are attacking a technology and service that is also used for legitimate purposes which is where you start going down the slippery slope. Granted many of the files being transferred were copyrighted material but technology and services like this should never be removed for the sole benefit of copyright owners. You go after the people using it in an illegal manner.

The RIAA/MPAA has long history of attacking technology and in some cases they have been successful. For example standalone CD recorders have a tax applied to them that goes directly into the RIAA's pocket. CD's labeled "Audio" also have this tax applied and is why they are more expensive. A standalone CD recorder will reject any CD without this label. You the consumer has suffered from this because a)if you own a CD recorder you have to pay the RIAA to record something b)every CD player on the planet would be a recorder if not for this tax. This same tax is also credited with possibly killing the DAT format as the next big thing which came before the CD and is actually superior to CD. It's tape so it may not have succeeded but the tax most certainly made sure it would be relegated to the professional market because of the increased costs of the units.

They tried killing home video recorders, they also tried getting this tax applied to MP3 players, computer CD/DVD burners and lots of other tech. It's just a long list of technology they have been trying to kill for many years and the consumer has suffered for their benefit.

Old 10-28-2010, 02:55 AM

6,663 posts, read 26,692,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
My ISP sent me this email:

We are writing as a courtesy to let you know that we have received notification from one or more owners of copyrights claiming that their work has been transmitted over the Internet from your account without their permission. Copyright owners may include motion picture studios, the recording industry or others who produce or distribute legally protected material. A copy of the notice is attached.

And there is more. One of my kids or their friends downloaded a movie over Bit Torrent. ,,,,,,,Essentially, they spy on us.,,,,.
So you were actually busted for uploading data not downloading. You have to tell the kids when downloading torrents to not allow the up loading.

And always remove the music/movies off the PC ASAP. Copy them to a cd or dvd, and erase off the computer.

They were not even spying. They created a account, and sat back and recorded anyone allowing them to download off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or