U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2010, 01:36 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,877,756 times

Advertisements

I'm a member of that vanishing American indigenous tribe, the "Anti-Social Networking Privacy Nuts" composed of aging Boomers. So please don't waste your time telling me to get with the picture, stop being a dinosaur, and how the concept of privacy died out years ago. I'm incorrigible.

So I'm not on Facebook, nor do I "Tweet," but I DO use Craigslist, and my ingrained paranoia has been stoked by reading about CYBERCASING -- specifically through Craigslist. Yes, I realize this is probably old news to all you youngsters:

"The International Computer Science Institute (ICSI), a non profit research organization in Berkeley, California, is due to present new findings next month regarding "cybercasing," a word researchers coined to refer to how geotagged text, photos and videos (those that include location information) can be used by criminals and other dangerous parties to mount real-world attacks.

Using sites like Craigslist, Twitter and YouTube, the researchers were able to cross-reference information contained within publicly available online content to determine the exact home addresses of potential victims, even those who had posted the content anonymously. The experiments didn't take weeks, days or even hours of research either - the addresses were pinpointed with GPS-level accuracy within minutes."

MORE... Researchers Warn of Geotagging Dangers - Are You Concerned?

What I'd like to know is how to thwart the following while on Craigslist. Should I just go back to reading my local paper's printed classified ads? Yeah, ha, ha.

"To demonstrate the ease involved in determining a stranger's precise location, Friedland and Sommer first "cybercased" Craigslist, a classified ads website often used to post items for sale. Here they found geo-tagged photos that they compared with Google Street View, allowing them to determine the postal addresses belonging to the item's sellers. Even more helpful (if the researchers were, in fact, thieves), was that several ads included a "best time to call" - implying the hours the sellers were not at home."

Thanks for any kind and helpful advice and for speaking in non-techie terms. If a thread already exists on this topic, apologies for my not using the correct search terms to find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 01:56 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,992,673 times
If I understand it correctly (and, like you - this concerns me) the camera that is used to take the picture, has to have geotracking enabled. Cameras on iPhones (and it's ilk), for instance. Cameras on cell phones that have gps enabled. Unfortunately, if you disable the geotracking, you also disable the gps system. So the safety feature (lost hikers for example) is gone too.

What I heard was: If you find an image taken from a cell phone, you can click on properties and get the coordinates where the image was shot. Then just plug it into Google Earth, or google maps, and voila! We're talkin' pinpoint Verne.

What I did was: Went to one of my friends images on facebook that I was sure was taken with a gps enabled cell phone and right clicked to see the properties. I understood none of it, and was not able to find anything that looked like coordinates.

So. They could be there. They probably were. But I couldn't find them amidst all the gobbledeygook.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:43 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Just skimmed the article, I'm assuming the device is using the IPTC/EXIF data which contains all kinds of information. Camera model, date taken...flash used etc. You can even add subject, copyrights... just about any information you want. It's actually quite useful, the date taken is really nice feature because it's independent of the file date.

If yoiu image editor does not have the capability of editing this information you can use something like Exifer or Irfanview. Both have batch operations and you can apply changes to all images in entire folders if you want.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:02 PM

621 posts, read 1,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
I'm a member of that vanishing American indigenous tribe, the "Anti-Social Networking Privacy Nuts" composed of aging Boomers. So please don't waste your time telling me to get with the picture, stop being a dinosaur, and how the concept of privacy died out years ago. I'm incorrigible.

So I'm not on Facebook, nor do I "Tweet," but I DO use Craigslist, and my ingrained paranoia has been stoked by reading about CYBERCASING -- specifically through Craigslist. Yes, I realize this is probably old news to all you youngsters:

"The International Computer Science Institute (ICSI), a non profit research organization in Berkeley, California, is due to present new findings next month regarding "cybercasing," a word researchers coined to refer to how geotagged text, photos and videos (those that include location information) can be used by criminals and other dangerous parties to mount real-world attacks.

Using sites like Craigslist, Twitter and YouTube, the researchers were able to cross-reference information contained within publicly available online content to determine the exact home addresses of potential victims, even those who had posted the content anonymously. The experiments didn't take weeks, days or even hours of research either - the addresses were pinpointed with GPS-level accuracy within minutes."

MORE... Researchers Warn of Geotagging Dangers - Are You Concerned?

What I'd like to know is how to thwart the following while on Craigslist. Should I just go back to reading my local paper's printed classified ads? Yeah, ha, ha.

"To demonstrate the ease involved in determining a stranger's precise location, Friedland and Sommer first "cybercased" Craigslist, a classified ads website often used to post items for sale. Here they found geo-tagged photos that they compared with Google Street View, allowing them to determine the postal addresses belonging to the item's sellers. Even more helpful (if the researchers were, in fact, thieves), was that several ads included a "best time to call" - implying the hours the sellers were not at home."

Thanks for any kind and helpful advice and for speaking in non-techie terms. If a thread already exists on this topic, apologies for my not using the correct search terms to find it.
After reading your post, I presume you're wanting to use Craigslist to sell something...? Just take a photo of the item using a regular digital camera instead of using a cell phone. They (regular digital cameras) don't usually contain a GPS chip for geotagging - although beware, some already have it and most likely will be available in all cameras at some point. So you would have to do what thecoalman said and edit the EXIF information found in each digital photo file.

Personally, I think companies are taking too many liberties with including such things that they think "will make our lives easier". I personally think it's all a bunch of privacy-invasion horsec*rap. I hope the next camera I get has the ability to turn off the GPS device, because otherwise I'll be doing a lot of tedious editing of the EXIF info.

Anyway, that's probably your best bet...just make sure there's nothing in the EXIF file that can be used to locate where the photo was taken.

P.S. Oh yeah, I don't blame you for not belonging to any social networking sites. I canceled my Facebook account last month because I got tired of all the changes of the past year. When it got to the point where I had to "Like" a certain page to accompany the interests I listed in my Info section, I said "Enough is enough" and I got rid of it.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 AM

40,161 posts, read 41,766,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Personally, I think companies are taking too many liberties with including such things that they think "will make our lives easier". I personally think it's all a bunch of privacy-invasion horsec*rap. I hope the next camera I get has the ability to turn off the GPS device, because otherwise I'll be doing a lot of tedious editing of the EXIF info.
I think they need to better document and research how these features can be used against you. A similar issue is with scanners and copiers with harddrives, they save all those scans and can be recovered if the drives aren't wiped before you get rid of them. Something like this should be turned off by default for the images. Having said that I think this is great feature especially if they expanded it, for example if you were able to set custom locations you can get that information embedded automatically; "Grandma's House", "Joes house" etc. They also need a private setting that would keep anything personal from being embedded.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:25 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,877,756 times
Thanks for the sensible and understandable replies! I now know what to do to be able to sell on Craigslist and still keep my rampant paranoia healthy.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:07 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,391,206 times
The notion of privacy has not died, it was just never born. In the old timey days people didn't necessarily have privacy by choice it was just too hard to keep track of people. The notion that anyone ever truly had privacy is silly.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:31 PM

42 posts, read 48,372 times
Hey stone cipher. You’re not alone on this issue brother. Please let me tell you. I myself do not have face book or twitter or even craigs list. . I have got Jillions’ Jillions as an expression of high number can’t be counted’ of privacy Face book issues. And it appears Twitter would pose the same threat of privacy. I looked at facebook and they sure got a lot to ask about you. And here are some of the things I read. Some employers have been using face book or twitter to look up people’s activities. Then not hiring them. Or tax collectors getting someone’s name. When someone becomes a facebooker it doesn’t seem the whole world is watching them and what they do. I don’t need the whole world to know what I am doing. I don’t do drugs. I don’t drink. I’m not having any affairs. I live a clean life. God inspires me. I just use an email address usually to stay in contact with online friends. I’m not like everyone. I got no reason to flock to face book or twitter. Some people have tried to pressure us to join. That’s your world not mine. If your willing to give up your privacy that’s up to you.

I’m not one of those dinosaurs from T rex age or Jurassic. But neither am I computer savvy. I use it as “A personal computer PC basically letters to friends and posting around forums. Also to look up things.

What you have can either help or hurt you. Take a glass of water and you can drink it. Jump into a 20 foot pool and you don’t know how to swim the water has no use but harm to you. You can use a fire to cook but if you drop some sparks on dry grass you may create a fire you never wished. The same with the computer try to go where it is safe. I don’t recommend facebook or twitter. I never tried craigslist and I’m skeptical about Skype. It don’t matter I don’t have a cam anyways. One may ask me where are you from the 20th century. Yeah I guess I am hahaha. I’m nostalgic of the 80s when I grew up. I like TV shows of that era and about that era and the 70s some of it with the TV at least can live in the past or the present. I like the past better. I’m not much into a lot of the new programs that don’t teach anyone anything but fifth and chaos on TV. You really got to look around to find good stuff to watch. Technology keeps increasing but it seems to lead many to get that much more in trouble. You can warn them all day and all night. They will do what they want. It’s their life to choose after all. I do what I do they do what they do. No face book or twitter for me. It’s traffic I can avoid and still enjoy Life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or