U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:32 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,799,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
It seems I can't go more than a couple of weeks with out some stupid new update to quicktime and itunes. Enough already.

Sorry. This is more just a rant than anything else.
So,,, you'd be more happy with Apple [or for that matter really, any software/hardware entity] not upgrading their product, to help ensure its the most up-to-date version, helping minimize security risks, possibly increasing speeds, bringing improved features, etc.? I mean, good grief, "a couple of weeks"...

BTW - I've nothing but Apples at home, and I don't see all of these nasty terrible updates... unless I select the "update s/w" from the Apple icon - similar to what Sayantsi posted, turn off the auto update feature. Sorry,,, but what's the big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
There have been many new iTunes devices introduced in the last month, like the new Apple TV and the new iPod Touch models. These updates are needed to make those work. Also there are some new video rental options being added to the iTunes store. In order to make content rentable, the software had to be updated.

Apple has to be careful not to push the software in advance of new features and products, because it keeps secrets close to the vest and it knows that some people like to sift through the code in the application updates and figure out what's coming out next.
Well said...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 09:07 PM

16,310 posts, read 14,518,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
So,,, you'd be more happy with Apple [or for that matter really, any software/hardware entity] not upgrading their product, to help ensure its the most up-to-date version, helping minimize security risks, possibly increasing speeds, bringing improved features, etc.? I mean, good grief, "a couple of weeks"...

BTW - I've nothing but Apples at home, and I don't see all of these nasty terrible updates... unless I select the "update s/w" from the Apple icon - similar to what Sayantsi posted, turn off the auto update feature. Sorry,,, but what's the big deal?
Apple software on Windows is a virus, updates are legit, BUT frequently updates try to slip other software through as part of the update.

Example, the wife insists on iTunes for her iPods, and she got the popup about an update, clicked OK, and went off to do something. Granted she didn't "read" all the fine print, and in addition to installing iTunes update, Bad Apple took it upon themselves to install Safari.

She came back to a BSOD, took me a while to figure out what was wrong, and the WHY. Safari totally FUBAR'ed the Windows installation, a product she never wanted, and would have to dig through the fine print to "opt out"

That's the big deal, Apples attitude toward 90% of the users out there, let's see what we can slip through with our logo on it. If Safari had been an "opt in" choice, then no problem.

OBTW, a novice users would have to shell out a couple hundred bucks to have their system troubleshot and restored, which was simply to remove Safari in Safe Mode.

Apple updates are shut down on her laptop now, have been for years, and she is getting along fine with iTinker 7.something

Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 AM

4,679 posts, read 7,799,078 times
Asheville - my apologies, was not aware that Apple's updates were to that level / style in the MS world. I'd be quite peeved about such too, for sure should be an "opt-in". Older but relevant article about this BS here: Apple pushes Windows Safari via iTunes updater - Computerworld

Old 09-21-2010, 10:56 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,174,902 times
i'm not an apple guy, but i like safari. i've had very few problems with it on my windows machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet