U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 02:29 PM

18,500 posts, read 55,418,079 times

Advertisements

Dial up and satellite slow it down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 PM

422 posts, read 651,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Dial up and satellite slow it down.
One of the reasons I hate it. For slow and high-latency connections and PCs, its a nightmare. It's awful on smartphones too.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:04 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,731,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots
I hate it.
I hate it also!! (Im glad i cant see it)

Plain GOOGLE is fine with me

Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 AM

3,697 posts, read 5,885,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Well, you don't need to use google search if you hate it so much There are others.....

Yes, that is true. I could use many others with far worse issues. However, I'm of the mind set this is my computer and I'd like to be able to set a search the way I want it to search...not some way someone ELSE wants it to search. It's like all that CRAP you get when you spend hundreds of dollars on a new computer. For example: NORTON. Talk about invasive. If you tell them once: NO. They're like a two year old, never listens. They keep popping up in your face: can we install now??, can we install now???, huh, huh??? can we??? can we???

Funny! Backlash from not liking a search feature which is my perfect right. So far I think we have about five rights left and liking or not liking something or someone is still one of them. But, I'm sure that will change in time as well.

We'll have protests and protest signs in the street: (some examples) STOP THAT FREE THINKING!!!!
THINK LIKE US!! IT'S THE ONLY WAY!!
YOU ARE NOT AN INDIVIDUAL YOU ARE SIMPLY A SMALL PART OF THE GROUP AND THE ONE WITH THE MOST MONEY AND BIGGEST MOUTH WINS! NOW SHUT UP!

But really...all I'm trying to say is if some of these companies would have the common courtesy to ASK the user if they want such-and-such BEFORE they force it on you, it might help. Also, and no means no. Did you hear that Norton???

Old 09-15-2010, 11:04 AM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
"Instant search" as in the box of word-strings that appears below what you're typing as suggestions to what you're looking for?

If it's that, you can click on Search Settings at the top right of the Google main window, then scroll to the bottom to Autocomplete and choose Do not provide query predictions. Side note to this: if you have any sort of browsing hiccup, for some weird reason the setting easily reverts back to the query prediction thing.

If it's not that, I'm curious because I don't have any other kind of new blecky stuff when I use Google.
Keep in mind that if you use Ccleaner or similar that, depending on the settings, you will have to reset this every time you run Ccleaner.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:09 AM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Yes, that is true. I could use many others with far worse issues. However, I'm of the mind set this is my computer and I'd like to be able to set a search the way I want it to search...not some way someone ELSE wants it to search. It's like all that CRAP you get when you spend hundreds of dollars on a new computer. For example: NORTON. Talk about invasive. If you tell them once: NO. They're like a two year old, never listens. They keep popping up in your face: can we install now??, can we install now???, huh, huh??? can we??? can we???

Funny! Backlash from not liking a search feature which is my perfect right. So far I think we have about five rights left and liking or not liking something or someone is still one of them. But, I'm sure that will change in time as well.

We'll have protests and protest signs in the street: (some examples) STOP THAT FREE THINKING!!!!
THINK LIKE US!! IT'S THE ONLY WAY!!
YOU ARE NOT AN INDIVIDUAL YOU ARE SIMPLY A SMALL PART OF THE GROUP AND THE ONE WITH THE MOST MONEY AND BIGGEST MOUTH WINS! NOW SHUT UP!

But really...all I'm trying to say is if some of these companies would have the common courtesy to ASK the user if they want such-and-such BEFORE they force it on you, it might help. Also, and no means no. Did you hear that Norton???
Uninstall it and quit whining. Good lord. You've spent more time posting here than it would take to uninstall all the crapware that comes on your new PC.

Take the advice given by mawipafl and change your search settings in Google.

For someone who wants to be an "independent" you sure are stuck on someone else (Google, Norton, etc) doing things YOUR way.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:12 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,885,115 times
Well, just for informational purposes...I don't have a new pc.

Uninstall google search? And go to what?? Another program with MORE popups and ads? I'll just use what I have and I WILL quit whining. Why don't you just put me on ignore if you don't want to hear me whine? Or do you like that double standard where you get to blame ME but I don't get to blame google or norton??

Yah, exactly.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:19 PM

3,648 posts, read 5,305,346 times
Old fogey weighing in here. It could be a lot worse folks. One used to have to go to the library to look up stuff. I think Google search in any form is absolutely wonderful. Instant answers to just about anything. I pay no attention to the instant search option unless it saves me some typing!

Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,387,460 times
You'll all get over it eventually. No one likes change initially.

Remember when Facebook changed their format? Everyone was FREAKING out--creating groups to protest the new look, threatening to delete their accounts, etc. Look at it now. No one complains. Everyone has gotten used to it. Life is OK.

CHANGE IS GOOD, people!!! You'll get over it soon.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:57 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,228,254 times
A question about this - where do the auto complete suggestions come from? Is there some sort of library on your own pc or is Google actually reading your keystrokes from their site? The latter would cause me concern.

I like the auto complete however. Google is the default search engine on my MS IE8. When I look up three and four word terms frequently I only have to type the first one or two words.

Last edited by quiet walker; 09-15-2010 at 02:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet