U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 07:32 PM

28,595 posts, read 40,577,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Yes, that is true. I could use many others with far worse issues. However, I'm of the mind set this is my computer and I'd like to be able to set a search the way I want it to search...not some way someone ELSE wants it to search. It's like all that CRAP you get when you spend hundreds of dollars on a new computer. For example: NORTON. Talk about invasive. If you tell them once: NO. They're like a two year old, never listens. They keep popping up in your face: can we install now??, can we install now???, huh, huh??? can we??? can we???

Funny! Backlash from not liking a search feature which is my perfect right. So far I think we have about five rights left and liking or not liking something or someone is still one of them. But, I'm sure that will change in time as well.

We'll have protests and protest signs in the street: (some examples) STOP THAT FREE THINKING!!!!
THINK LIKE US!! IT'S THE ONLY WAY!!
YOU ARE NOT AN INDIVIDUAL YOU ARE SIMPLY A SMALL PART OF THE GROUP AND THE ONE WITH THE MOST MONEY AND BIGGEST MOUTH WINS! NOW SHUT UP!

But really...all I'm trying to say is if some of these companies would have the common courtesy to ASK the user if they want such-and-such BEFORE they force it on you, it might help. Also, and no means no. Did you hear that Norton???
Quote:
Well, just for informational purposes...I don't have a new pc.

Uninstall google search? And go to what?? Another program with MORE popups and ads? I'll just use what I have and I WILL quit whining. Why don't you just put me on ignore if you don't want to hear me whine? Or do you like that double standard where you get to blame ME but I don't get to blame google or norton??

Yah, exactly.
Sounded to me like you had one. So now what I'm getting is that you're complaining about those invasive programs that OTHER people put up with, but you don't since you don't have a new computer. Man am I confused, or what? I know, I know, why would I change now?

And no double standard here. I understand the reason behind the ads and pop ups and simply accept them if I need to, or use an ad blocker so I never see them.

If you have Norton popping up (Which might be another false assumption made from reading your rant) asking to be installed all the time and you don't want it why aren't you uninstalling it? I don't get that part at all.

And no, don't uninstall Google search just the autocomplete that is bugging you.

Go to the Google Search Settings page and scroll down to Google Instant. Fill the radio button next to Do Not Use Google Instant. Note that if you use a product like Ccleaner it might reset that to the default "on" depending on the settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:32 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,885,115 times
You're right.

Thank you for your patience.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:00 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,731,811 times
With this site you can use 'INSTANT' on many sites (This does work for me)

http://instantise.com?#youtube

Old 09-16-2010, 09:10 AM

11,813 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post

I like the auto complete however. Google is the default search engine on my MS IE8. When I look up three and four word terms frequently I only have to type the first one or two words.
That comes from Google not from your PC.
And that is not the INSTANT SEARCH that we are talking about.

For some reason that I am not sure of, not everyone gets the "Instant Search".
Example: (Figure this one out)
Instant Search does not work for me in Chrome, but it does work in IE8 and FF3. That's just very odd.

For those of you NOT seeing it, here is a short YouTube video of someone playing around with it:

YouTube - Fun With Google Instant - "We Didn't Start the Fire"

Notice the RESULTS and not the search drop down box.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
You're right.

Thank you for your patience.
"Right" is a subjective term. I may have been right in my responses based on what I inferred from your posts. I may not have been right in my attitude when responding. I have always been a rather blunt person and it's not always been to my benefit.

I'm glad we got the "How to turn off instant search" resolved.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

For some reason that I am not sure of, not everyone gets the "Instant Search".
Example: (Figure this one out)
Instant Search does not work for me in Chrome, but it does work in IE8 and FF3. That's just very odd.

For those of you NOT seeing it, here is a short YouTube video of someone playing around with it:

YouTube - Fun With Google Instant - "We Didn't Start the Fire"

Notice the RESULTS and not the search drop down box.
That is an excellent video!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 PM

4,538 posts, read 8,228,254 times
Quote:
So Google is reading your keystrokes?

Quote:
... For some reason that I am not sure of, not everyone gets the "Instant Search" ...
Yes, it's working for me with IE8 in Win XP - pretty cool. And that's a great video, thanks for posting it

Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 AM

11,813 posts, read 13,951,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
So Google is reading your keystrokes?
Technically speaking I guess you could say so. But ONLY those letters that you type into the Google Search Box. It is based on what other people have searched for not on anything having to do with your computer.

How autocomplete works

As you type, Google's algorithm predicts and displays search queries based on other users' search activities. These searches are algorithmically determined based on a number of purely objective factors (including popularity of search terms) without human intervention. All of the predicted queries shown have been typed previously by other Google users. The autocomplete dataset is updated frequently to offer fresh and rising search queries. In addition, if you're signed in to your Google Account and have Web History enabled, you may see search queries from relevant searches that you've done in the past.

Autocomplete : Features - Web Search Help

Example: If I type S-a-a Google will assume I am about to type SAAB because 90% of people that type out SAA are going to type SAAB.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:50 AM

4,538 posts, read 8,228,254 times
Quote:
... As you type, Google's algorithm predicts and displays search queries based on other users' search activities ...
Thanks for this

Old 09-21-2010, 04:47 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,885,115 times
[quote=Tek_Freek;15907560] I have always been a rather blunt person and it's not always been to my benefit. /quote]

And I certainly can identify with that!! Personally, I'd rather have blunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet