U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 01:10 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,737,854 times

Advertisements

I manually delete all flash entries after use
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 09:27 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,386,898 times
It's been about a month of diligently deleting my flash cookies every other day. I've found there are no disadvantages/problems resulting from deleting them.

If I wait more than 3 days, my computer goes right back to bogging down, being slow, acting weird, and basically driving me frickin' nucking futs again.

I'm so glad I found out about this. They definitely hamper PC performance substantially. By the way, I don't bother with a special program that deletes the flash cookies automatically. Maybe I should. But isn't that just more junk bogging my computer? It's so easy to delete them with Windows "search" or using a file-shredder utility, which is what I do. I use the file shredder that's included with the free Spybot Search & Destroy (a software I recommend, BTW) anti-malware software.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:57 PM

8,874 posts, read 13,808,549 times
Firefox offers an application to remove flash cookies. I ran it and found I had 640. After I removed them, I tested each site I access regularly. I would open a new window, just look at one site then close the window to see how many flash cookies that site added. About 20% of sites added none. All the rest added at least 2, most added 4. Salon magazine added the most of any site I visit. I had no bad reaction to removing the cookies. My log-ins were all retained, even at my bank. (Which is not true for me if I delete regular cookies via my security program.) I now have Firefox set to delete all flash cookies automatically every time I close Firefox.

I do think my surfing is going a little faster. I now need to use the Adobe program for deleting flash cookies set via Internet Explorer. I don't use that often, but it is on my computer and I think my mother uses it when she occasionally uses my computer. Even if deletion didn't add speed, I would still do it. I find the invasion of privacy offensive.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:21 PM

110 posts, read 260,788 times
Jukesgrrl,

I'm wondering whether you mean that Firefox offers an add-on for this. There is one called ghostery. This can also be used in Internet Explorer.

Ghostery

According to their FAQ page:

"Will Ghostery affect my browser performance?

Ghostery initiates a scan and decision for several types of page elements, and in some cases, this scan may represent a slight increase in page load times. However, if users choose to block page scripts, our lab research suggests that pages load faster on average."

Ghostery - Frequently Asked Questions

Old 10-30-2010, 01:05 AM

6,385 posts, read 10,842,581 times
No wonder Internet users are getting fatter by the day! All this cookie eating, lots of flashes but hardly any flushing of the crap from the system...

Old 11-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Guys, I found a particularly nasty, malicious Flash cookie on my computer. As you may have noticed from my post above, before I delete the Flash cookies daily, I look at .sol file names and then Google 'em to see what info I can dig up. About 80% of them are related to online advertising metrics.

One cookie that kept coming up day after day was called Smartsuite with an affiliated cookie called 6th Element. When I googled those together this is what came up from the a great security-related site called ThreatExpert.com:

ThreatExpert Report: Trojan.Adclicker, Packed.Win32.TDSS.aa

Sure enough, almost all of the registry keys and values this trojan creates were present on my computer. Without going into detail (and computer registry stuff is pretty much for advanced users), I was able to wipe this thing off my system.

Just goes to show these Flash cookies are nothing to scoff at.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:28 AM

After one week this SmartSuite trojan is back on my computer! We really need some good attorneys and a few class action lawsuits to stop these scumbags rooting around in our computers...

Old 11-11-2010, 02:59 AM

8,874 posts, read 13,808,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
After one week this SmartSuite trojan is back on my computer! We really need some good attorneys and a few class action lawsuits to stop these scumbags rooting around in our computers...
I'm always amazed by the people who scoff about this stuff not being dangerous. If they're not being invasive for some purpose that is advantageous to them, then why are they even IN our computer? They weren't invited.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Actually, as it turns out, the trojan didn't come back, just some more SmartSuite flash cookies.

BTW, I believe I've figured out that YOU CAN DELETE FLASH COOKIES ON THE FLY WHILE BROWSING!

It's only when you delete the settings.sol file in the SYS folder that things get screwed up and you need to reboot your computer to be able to browse the web.

All the other .sol files may be deleted on the fly. It still seems to me that the flash cookies bog down your system and use CPU resources.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or