U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Veterans Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 10:32 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,386,675 times

Advertisements

Howdy dingbats (please note "Dingbats" is an IT term that refers to special computer fonts, I'm not calling you dear readers ignorant brainwashed morons or anything). I just learned all about Flash Cookies, they've really been getting a lot of press lately.

In case ya didn't know, they're a new (about a 3 years old or so) kind of cookie (no, I'm not talking about Bert & Ernie or Cookie Monster here...) that gets installed any time Adobe Flash is run on your computer from a website. About 80% of all videos you watch over the internet are run by the Adobe Flash software.

You know, Adobe, that really crooked scummy company who makes sure that every software application they've ever published and made available to the public is also a spyware program that "phones home" to surreptitious websites on the internet and steals and sends to these sites tons of your personal data files from your computer, including all notepad files, MS-Word files, excel files, emails, personal passwords, internet website browsing history, all text entered into drop-down fill-in form fields on websites, everything you've ever written on Facebook, MySpace, etc, and also text files composed of all keyboard activity on your computer (i.e. everything you've ever typed on your computer keyboard) that have been captured by resident keyloggers including the ones approved and/or made by Microsoft that are secretly hidden on all Windows-based PC's disguised as programs like "Hot Keys", "keyboard language software", "disabled people keyboard helpers", "ctfmon.exe" et. al.

You can be sure a copy of all this garbage gets purchased by the NSA/DHS to go into your "personal file" housed at Darpa/The Pentagon. Don't worry, they're never gonna act on this information unless they have very concrete information that you are a clear and present threat to "them".

The real issue here is the total loss of all privacy and the potential loss of security of any financial/banking information stored on your computer that could be used to loot all of your banking/investment securities accounts when the time is ripe.

I guess by now some of you are saying, "Boy, better adjust that tin-foil hat so the aliens and black helicopters get better reception, buddy." Go ahead think what you want, I could care less.

The main reason for this post is actually just to tell you my own experience that I deleted all the Flash Cookies from my computer and let me tell you there's no single other computer maintenance/adjustment I've ever performed that so instantly and with no foul consequences (as of yet anyway) TOTALLY SPED UP MY COMPUTER, INTERNET BROWSING, AND FREED UP PRECIOUS CPU RESOURCES!!

Guys, it's so easy. Just do an expanded search for all *.sol files on your computer and delete them. Then immediately empty your Recycle Bin. Make sure you choose the search options to search within hidden/system folders because that's where the Flash Cookies are stored.

Of course I suspect that it's possible resident spywares/malicious code on your system will attempt to re-spawn/undelete the Flash Cookies (*.sol files).

I recommend you try this. Any so-called IT-experts who want to chime in and give their input here, please do....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,885,115 times
.sol as in sheit out of luck?

Old 09-22-2010, 02:06 PM

3,743 posts, read 11,462,492 times
For OS X, a quick, free script to use to clean your computer - Flush.app – Flash Cookie Removal Tool For OS X | MacHacks.TV

For Windows: http://download.cnet.com/Flash-Cooki...-10969256.html

Last edited by Sayantsi; 09-22-2010 at 02:22 PM..

Old 09-22-2010, 02:16 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,486,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
You know, Adobe, that really crooked scummy company who makes sure that every software application they've ever published and made available to the public is also a spyware program that "phones home" to surreptitious websites on the internet and steals and sends to these sites tons of your personal data files from your computer, including all notepad files, MS-Word files, excel files, emails, personal passwords, internet website browsing history, all text entered into drop-down fill-in form fields on websites, everything you've ever written on Facebook, MySpace, etc, and also text files composed of all keyboard activity on your computer (i.e. everything you've ever typed on your computer keyboard) that have been captured by resident keyloggers including the ones approved and/or made by Microsoft that are secretly hidden on all Windows-based PC's disguised as programs like "Hot Keys", "keyboard language software", "disabled people keyboard helpers", "ctfmon.exe" et. al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
I guess by now some of you are saying, "Boy, better adjust that tin-foil hat so the aliens and black helicopters get better reception, buddy."
Yeah, pretty much.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:57 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
Just a drop in the bucket.
Researcher Claims 'Evercookie' Can't Be Removed | threatpost

Old 09-23-2010, 09:53 AM

10,752 posts, read 17,997,204 times
NY Times article on lawsuits on the subject

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/21/te...cookies&st=cse

Old 09-24-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
.sol as in sheit out of luck?

Nope, according to the "Adobe Internal Company Memorandum Of Universal Deceit" I stole, it stands for "Sold On Looting".

Old 10-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Hey guys I tried to get some information online about the Flash cookies that keep showing up on my computer EVERY damm day. Here's swat I found:

conviva - uses metrics to guage streaming video quality and report results back to content providers (websites), offers technologies to improve video quality

livepass - a product by conviva, "The Conviva LivePass plugin for OSMF simplifies the integration and deployment of Conviva services with OSMF based video players."

quantserve - just a regular spying tracker, they pretend to somehow determine such things like: * Gender * Age * Household Income * Ethnicity * Head of Household Education * Children Ages 6-17 in Household

brightcove - this is an online video software platform developer

vizu - "[vizu] Ad Catalyst provides online brand advertisement measurement as a service, offering real-time, actionable data on the effectiveness of ad campaigns."

gotraffic - gotraffic is a traditional and online marketing company

ytimg - "As it turns out the ytimg.com domain is owned by YouTube. Apparently this server is used to serve thumbnail images into the YouTube player (YouTube IMaGe server)."

ustream - "Ustream.tv is a website which consists of a network of diverse channels providing a platform for lifecasting and live video streaming of events online."

ebaystatic - "ebaystatic.com is the server that hosts the pics of all that's up for sale on eBay."

Well, seems like pretty innocuous stuff except maybe for Quantserve. Of course, I don't just believe what I read as the gospel truth, especially in a rampantly dishonest society such as the USA. Aw heck, I guess the whole world is fairly well crooked and dishonest, especially these days, no need to single out one creepy country run by lying war criminals from another, LOL.

The main thing here is that if you dutifully delete your Flash cookie files every day (I shred 'em), your internet browsing is at least 10 times faster.

I think the reason for this is that although the Flash cookies are tiny little 1 and 2 kb files, various softwares out in the "cloud" are interacting with them constantly and this can really tie up your CPU resources if you have a lot of Flash cookies stored on your computer.

For example, after I first learned about these and did a search for them, holy cripes there were 688 of them on my computer. No wonder the damn thing ran like crap molasses.

Adobe Flash in itself is a real problem since it's so ubiquitous now on the web and tends to really tie up CPU resources even when no Flash videos/apps are being used by the user. For example, I run Google Chrome for a browser and it has it's own TaskManager just like the Windows TaskManager you pull up by pressing CTRL-ALT-DELETE. Whenever my computer bogs down while I'm online, I press SHIFT-ESC to pull up the Chrome TaskManager and sure enough it's Flash running when it shouldn't be and it is sending data packets back and forth over the router and consuming a TON of memory. THAT IS SO DAMM SUSPICIOUS. One nice thing about Chrome, you can just "end now" on Flash in such cases and immediately solve the problem, although it crashes Flash (so what).

Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,643,650 times
Dontcha love it? The Internet and privacy, like apples and oranges.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:16 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,347,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I just downloaded and ran it, it found 114 flash cookies. I deleted them, and ten minutes later, I scanned again and already had three new ones. Can't really tell if my computer is running faster now.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-14-2010 at 01:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or