Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:35 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Do some research on what you're talking about. Follow that research with research on internet data transmission.

Let me get you started:

Most secure internet data communication uses RSA encryption. For even more security, some applications may use AES. Both of them practically cannot be cracked.

In most cases, email uses point to point encryption(HTTPS/SSL/RSA). In most cases email does not cross domains, and that means in most cases it does not cross mail servers (consider a cluster as a single unit for this purpose).

Having access to transmission does not mean it can be ciphered. Voice calls could easily be screened because until a few years ago, there was no encryption. Now a lot of VOIP lines such as OOMA use encryption as well.
This position falls apart when one realizes that the government has long demanded the keys necessary to decrypt transmissions...over the years, there have been some encryption protocols to which auto-decryption has not been provided, but for the most part, they can decrypt anything you use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 06:44 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrowlane View Post
The problem Kings Ranger,

Is that you may have a thousand emails or perhaps thousands of correspondences like this one, on blogging sites. Perhaps, one day, you were in a weird mood and you used profanity. Perhaps on another day, you decided to pull someone's leg and you make up a suspicious story. Perhaps your story consists of murder and mayhem.
Perhaps you emailed your brother and told him that you really did shoot his dogs, just to tick him off , because he really did do something to you.
Perhaps you went to some chat room where some promising young potentially lover comes on to you and you talked as though you were in a private room or something.

All of this stuff is accessible by the government.

So when you apply for a state job, for some reason, they say, NO!

You want to go to a state funded school and you either don't get accepted or you somehow don't qualify for financial aid_ You won't have to wonder why not!

You want to apply for the US Coast Guard. Don't even try it!

You want to work for the FBI, the TSA, the CIA, the US Postal service, or the DEA. Forget about it!

You want to apply for law enforcement somewhere. You have your degree and honorable military experience but you just can't find a job. No one will hire you. Guess what? They won't!

Why? Because years ago, you said something over the INTERNET!!!

Have A Nice Day!

Boy, talk about paranoia....

Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Boy, talk about paranoia....
Perhaps he was speaking hyperbolically ?

Old 12-01-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Perhaps he was speaking hyperbolically ?

Nah, paranoid is the better description.....

Old 12-02-2010, 08:27 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrowlane View Post
Yep!

Also, the fed, state, city, and county offices also have complete access to all of your emails, username data, and your password.

ps.

Just try googling your username and your password and see what happens all over the internet. This is especially true if you've ever subscribed to Livejournal or some other Internet Blogging Site.
This site isn't even secure. Everything you type either is now or will be available to any governmental agency. That's federal, state, city, and county. Big Brother is Here!!!
So you put your username and password in Google and now you wonder why someone knows it?

And putting your password in Google and seeing it doesn't mean someone else has learned it. What, you think you're the only person that uses P455w0rd1234 as a password?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:28 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
If anyone cares to waste the time to monitor my email and Internet use, more power to them. How boring is that going to be?

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Old 12-05-2010, 03:39 PM

131 posts, read 113,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
So you put your username and password in Google and now you wonder why someone knows it?

And putting your password in Google and seeing it doesn't mean someone else has learned it. What, you think you're the only person that uses P455w0rd1234 as a password?
I used to belong to livejournal.

One day, I went to login to livejournal and it requested my username.

Ok, that's been done before, no problem.

It then told me that my username that I had been using for years was incorrect. I tried it repeatedly over and over again. All to no avail.

Next thing you know, I can't pull up Livejournal. I now have no access to it, as well.

I then lost it!

The first thing that I did was to type in my username with Google, just to see if there was some kind of linkage.

Well there was. Everything I had ever done under the username came up. I'm talking Livejournal, UFC, MMA, etc. All kinds of stuff.

Next, I typed in my password and the same thing happened with my username being fully displayed.

Things that I had done on the internet like over tens years ago was still there, fresh. Just like yesterday!

I'm NOT saying this for entertainment, I'm saying this as a clear WARNING TO ALL OF YOU! WATCH WHAT YOU SAY AND DO OVER THE NET!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:28 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
This position falls apart when one realizes that the government has long demanded the keys necessary to decrypt transmissions...over the years, there have been some encryption protocols to which auto-decryption has not been provided, but for the most part, they can decrypt anything you use.
Although not a protocol, TrueCrypt failed to be cracked by the FBI. The same encryption level can be used for transmission. Transmission would be more difficult since there would be smaller data samples.

While the government has demanded keys, their demand has not been met.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Although not a protocol, TrueCrypt failed to be cracked by the FBI. The same encryption level can be used for transmission. Transmission would be more difficult since there would be smaller data samples.

While the government has demanded keys, their demand has not been met.

And you really believe that don't you? You gotta be kidding...

Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,586,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
And you really believe that don't you? You gotta be kidding...
No, he's right. NJ and I don't always see eye to eye, but there are some areas where our respective experiences yield the same conclusions.

There are keys out there that the government does not have. However, the typical end user will not have access to those keys, nor even know of their existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet