Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 04:09 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,677,986 times

Advertisements

I wondered how long citizens would enjoy the internet without law enforcment tapping your e-mails and all other internet activity. It's now just around the corner.........

"The Obama administration is pushing to make it easier for the government to tap into internet and e-mail communications. But the plan has already drawn condemnation from privacy groups and communications firms may be wary of its costs and scope.

Frustrated by sophisticated and often encrypted phone and e-mail technologies, U.S. officials say that law enforcement needs to improve its ability to eavesdrop on conversations involving terrorism, crimes or other public safety issues."

Reading Eagle Newspaper (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_INTERNET_WIRETAPS?SITE=PAREA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPL ATE=DEFAULT - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:55 AM

23,596 posts, read 70,402,242 times
Whatever. Anyone who thinks this hasn't been happening for YEARS is clueless. It isn't just the government, but employers, network administrators, kiddie hackers, and probably smart pets. PGP is OLD news.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:04 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,853,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Frustrated by sophisticated and often encrypted phone and e-mail technologies, U.S. officials say that law enforcement needs to improve its ability to eavesdrop on conversations involving terrorism, crimes or other public safety issues."
Uhmmm ....
They have not spoken to NCIS, have they ... ????
Timothy can help them out ...

Old 09-28-2010, 12:58 PM

604 posts, read 750,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I wondered how long citizens would enjoy the internet without law enforcment tapping your e-mails and all other internet activity. It's now just around the corner.........

"The Obama administration is pushing to make it easier for the government to tap into internet and e-mail communications. But the plan has already drawn condemnation from privacy groups and communications firms may be wary of its costs and scope.

Reading Eagle Newspaper (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_INTERNET_WIRETAPS?SITE=PAREA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPL ATE=DEFAULT - broken link)

I know it might sound ignorant of me, but why does this matter so much?
Hackers, can do it, so why shouldn't the US government be allowed to?

They're on our side, right??
I think we're getting into a Star Wars phase (almost spelled it faze ) in our lives, where there's a bigger goal, and its racing to get things done, and keep us in a certain state of being....some "Master Plan" that is getting set-up to take affect, and leave us Americans stuck in the US (oh no!) and let the world go on without us...

Seems good, if we carry on the way we are...only if we'd stayed moral and not let capitalism take a mad turn for the worse...

Thats a HS teenager's view on this anyway

Old 09-28-2010, 10:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
It's the idea that you're being monitored for a crime before having any evidence of you being involved in it. It's likened to a search of home without a warrant because the administration has passed a law saying that all homes can be searched in an effort to catch criminals. There's no probable cause.

Hackers cannot eavesdrop on encrypted data unless there is a weak link or the target is already compromised through other means. Point-to-Point encryption is fairly solid. I believe what the government is interested in doing is not only having access to open data but also encrypted data. Which is a different thing.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:42 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
If you think this is not already happening--and has been for years--your head is in the sand. ALL emails are monitored as are ALL long distance telephone conversations. By telephone it's done by computers that listen for key words. If they hear one (or more) the conversation is recorded and later listened to by a human. I assume emails are monitored the same way. You can bet the farm THIS FORUM is also monitored, especially the Political Forum. If you are receiving mail from a "suspicious" return address, your mail may be turned over to the local authorities. A few years ago a teenager in my area got in trouble with local authorities for receiving mail from a publisher of anarchist-type material. The local postmaster turned the mail over to the police, which is something that most people don't know that postmasters are required to do.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 09-29-2010 at 09:11 AM..

Old 09-29-2010, 01:00 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
If you think this is not already happening--and has been for years--your head is in the sand. ALL emails are monitored as are ALL long distance telephone conversations. By telephone it's done by computers that listen for key words. If they hear one (or more) the conversation is recorded and later listened to by a human. I assume emails are monitored the same way. You can bet the farm THIS FORUM is also monitored, especially the Political Forum. If you are receiving mail from a "suspicious" return address, your mail may be turned over to the local authorities. A few years ago a teenager in my area got in trouble with local authorities for receiving mail from a publisher of anarchist-type material. The local postmaster turned the mail over to the police, which is something that most people don't know that postmasters are required to do.
How exactly is email being monitored? There's no single point of transmission for email. The only way that email as a whole could be monitored is if they monitor ALL, and I mean 100% of the data transmission on the internet. And even then, there's no way to monitor email that doesn't cross mail servers or has point to point encryption.

Given the current way email works, the only emails they could easily monitor (from a technological perspective) are those used by free email services such as yahoo, hotmail and gmail.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM

8,317 posts, read 13,447,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's the idea that you're being monitored for a crime before having any evidence of you being involved in it. It's likened to a search of home without a warrant because the administration has passed a law saying that all homes can be searched in an effort to catch criminals. There's no probable cause.

Hackers cannot eavesdrop on encrypted data unless there is a weak link or the target is already compromised through other means. Point-to-Point encryption is fairly solid. I believe what the government is interested in doing is not only having access to open data but also encrypted data. Which is a different thing.
Well said!

Those who are saying Bad guys are doing it (invading privacy, etc.) why shouldn't the government tells me they either:
- Trust the government wayyyyyyyy too much and you are very naive.
or
- See no difference between the criminals and the government since you indirectly put them both in the same category which is contradictory.

Quote:
How exactly is email being monitored? There's no single point of transmission for email. The only way that email as a whole could be monitored is if they monitor ALL, and I mean 100% of the data transmission on the internet. And even then, there's no way to monitor email that doesn't cross mail servers or has point to point encryption.

Given the current way email works, the only emails they could easily monitor (from a technological perspective) are those used by free email services such as yahoo, hotmail and gmail.
Exactly, all or nothing unless they can tap into a specific line/network/transmission which would require additional detailed info. they typically scan electronic communication for hot/buzz words, that has been going around since the radio days...but to capture and record the entire communication on the Internet cannot be feasible or at least practical enough to be done on a daily basis.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:34 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,205,058 times
Quote:

When I signed up with my first ISP here in Nebraska, I spoke to the head of tech services and asked him if they had "Carnivore" installed. He said yes, they didn't have any choice, all ISPs had to have it. This was twelve years ago. The Carnivore system is no longer in use. It has been replaced by more sophisticated monitoring systems since them. Do some research or call your ISP tech services and ask them what system they use.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:02 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
When I signed up with my first ISP here in Nebraska, I spoke to the head of tech services and asked him if they had "Carnivore" installed. He said yes, they didn't have any choice, all ISPs had to have it. This was twelve years ago. The Carnivore system is no longer in use. It has been replaced by more sophisticated monitoring systems since them. Do some research or call your ISP tech services and ask them what system they use.
Canivore nor Narus have the ability to decrypt traffic if people use encryption tools. That means if people use such to encrypt email, IM, etc... Narus will just discard it.

That doesn't mean they are not chomping at the bit to get at it. The US GOV has on several accounts tried to restrict the use and evolution of consumer used encryption for a while now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet