Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 03:40 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times

Advertisements

The definitions for terrorist can be vague.
You never know, you could already be listed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 04:12 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,323,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I wondered how long citizens would enjoy the internet without law enforcment tapping your e-mails and all other internet activity. It's now just around the corner.........

"The Obama administration is pushing to make it easier for the government to tap into internet and e-mail communications. But the plan has already drawn condemnation from privacy groups and communications firms may be wary of its costs and scope.

Frustrated by sophisticated and often encrypted phone and e-mail technologies, U.S. officials say that law enforcement needs to improve its ability to eavesdrop on conversations involving terrorism, crimes or other public safety issues."

Reading Eagle Newspaper (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_INTERNET_WIRETAPS?SITE=PAREA&SECTION=HOME&TEMPL ATE=DEFAULT - broken link)
It's all about human nature...regardless of what they say their doing it for...it all comes back to human nature...and I'm sorry, but history has prooven, human beings are incapable of seperating their own personal biases or perspectives, from the job they're performing at hand...

Ones personal biases, likes and dislikes, will always creep over into whatever 'power' given to them by government...

Ye, sure...it's only suppose to be used for terrorist surveilance...but people being who they are, what do you think?

Even people in intellegence agencies leak things...it happens all the time...and it ends up on CNN or Fox News...

I just don't trust people, with that kind of capability...and another thing..

The definition of 'terrorist' can easily change, depending on who's in power...

Old 09-29-2010, 05:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
When I signed up with my first ISP here in Nebraska, I spoke to the head of tech services and asked him if they had "Carnivore" installed. He said yes, they didn't have any choice, all ISPs had to have it. This was twelve years ago. The Carnivore system is no longer in use. It has been replaced by more sophisticated monitoring systems since them. Do some research or call your ISP tech services and ask them what system they use.
Do some research on what you're talking about. Follow that research with research on internet data transmission.

Let me get you started:

Most secure internet data communication uses RSA encryption. For even more security, some applications may use AES. Both of them practically cannot be cracked.

In most cases, email uses point to point encryption(HTTPS/SSL/RSA). In most cases email does not cross domains, and that means in most cases it does not cross mail servers (consider a cluster as a single unit for this purpose).

Having access to transmission does not mean it can be ciphered. Voice calls could easily be screened because until a few years ago, there was no encryption. Now a lot of VOIP lines such as OOMA use encryption as well.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:55 AM

604 posts, read 750,433 times
This might not be the best article, but I'm short on time...

Earlier this year, obama wanted an "off" button for the internet, in case of a national emergency, so no one could "spread panic"? I dunno...

Google it, you'll find stuff, if this doesn't suffice.
Bill Lets Obama Turn Off the Internet | WebProNews

Old 09-30-2010, 04:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
This might not be the best article, but I'm short on time...

Earlier this year, obama wanted an "off" button for the internet, in case of a national emergency, so no one could "spread panic"? I dunno...

Google it, you'll find stuff, if this doesn't suffice.
Bill Lets Obama Turn Off the Internet | WebProNews
Yea I remember this. It's not really related to the wiretapping... but is something that can be done technologically using a few techniques. I don't think it can be done in an instant-off manner though.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:20 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
As others have said, where have you been? Internet snooping has been going on for a long time. Emails are encrypted... so what?? I'm more concerned over the commercialization of the Internet and corporations watching every move I make on it so they can "tailor their ads to my personal preferences" If you're that paranoid I suggest you switch to snail mail.

The only frustrated people are the White House PR corps trying to drum up support to spend more $$$$$.

You should see the new NSA Data Center in San Antonio...

I guess you think your telephone conversations are private too????
Take a look at Project Echelon.

Old 11-30-2010, 11:29 PM

131 posts, read 113,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Whatever. Anyone who thinks this hasn't been happening for YEARS is clueless. It isn't just the government, but employers, network administrators, kiddie hackers, and probably smart pets. PGP is OLD news.
Yep!

Also, the fed, state, city, and county offices also have complete access to all of your emails, username data, and your password.

ps.

Just try googling your username and your password and see what happens all over the internet. This is especially true if you've ever subscribed to Livejournal or some other Internet Blogging Site.
This site isn't even secure. Everything you type either is now or will be available to any governmental agency. That's federal, state, city, and county. Big Brother is Here!!!

Old 11-30-2010, 11:56 PM

131 posts, read 113,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Ranger View Post
I know it might sound ignorant of me, but why does this matter so much?
Hackers, can do it, so why shouldn't the US government be allowed to?

They're on our side, right??
I think we're getting into a Star Wars phase (almost spelled it faze ) in our lives, where there's a bigger goal, and its racing to get things done, and keep us in a certain state of being....some "Master Plan" that is getting set-up to take affect, and leave us Americans stuck in the US (oh no!) and let the world go on without us...

Seems good, if we carry on the way we are...only if we'd stayed moral and not let capitalism take a mad turn for the worse...

Thats a HS teenager's view on this anyway
The problem Kings Ranger,

Is that you may have a thousand emails or perhaps thousands of correspondences like this one, on blogging sites. Perhaps, one day, you were in a weird mood and you used profanity. Perhaps on another day, you decided to pull someone's leg and you make up a suspicious story. Perhaps your story consists of murder and mayhem.
Perhaps you emailed your brother and told him that you really did shoot his dogs, just to tick him off , because he really did do something to you.
Perhaps you went to some chat room where some promising young potentially lover comes on to you and you talked as though you were in a private room or something.

All of this stuff is accessible by the government.

So when you apply for a state job, for some reason, they say, NO!

You want to go to a state funded school and you either don't get accepted or you somehow don't qualify for financial aid_ You won't have to wonder why not!

You want to apply for the US Coast Guard. Don't even try it!

You want to work for the FBI, the TSA, the CIA, the US Postal service, or the DEA. Forget about it!

You want to apply for law enforcement somewhere. You have your degree and honorable military experience but you just can't find a job. No one will hire you. Guess what? They won't!

Why? Because years ago, you said something over the INTERNET!!!

Have A Nice Day!

Old 12-01-2010, 01:30 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
You make it sound as though wiretapping hasn't existed for quite some time. Google "Carnivore" and "Echelon".

Carnivore was a program completed under Clinton in 1996, and was designed to scan almost every email sent/received through the ethos. Since in 1996 the concept of the Internet was simply a novelty to the vast majority of you, most of you have spent your entire internet lives being monitored by it. It's based in San Diego. If you go up in a helicopter with a thermographer, you can actually see exactly where it is, because it appears as a gigantic blue square in an otherwise very warm landscape (this due to the massive amount of A/C required to keep the thing cooled in its subterranean home).

Echelon was authorized towards the end of Clinton's regime and completed under George W. Bush's watch. To this day, the government denies the existence of it, but facts say otherwise. It scans for keywords in every transmission, and archives anything it deems "interesting" for future deconstruction.

The only ones who haven't been having their internet lives essentially wiretapped are those of us who have been around since well before the internet became popular.

Old 12-01-2010, 01:33 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
When I signed up with my first ISP here in Nebraska, I spoke to the head of tech services and asked him if they had "Carnivore" installed. He said yes, they didn't have any choice, all ISPs had to have it. This was twelve years ago. The Carnivore system is no longer in use. It has been replaced by more sophisticated monitoring systems since them. Do some research or call your ISP tech services and ask them what system they use.
Carnivore is not an installation (at least not anymore). Carnivore is a supercomputer located in San Diego, and it's very much still in use. What the ISP was likely trying to convey to you was that they had to provide access to the various encryption keys so that Carnivore could decrypt any mail messages that crossed through its infrastructure (which, I suppose, could technically be termed an installation, since it required a Jaz drive). As I mentioned in my previous post, the Echelon program was later launched to allow the government to scan more than just emails, but rather any internet communication.

Last edited by Xanathos; 12-01-2010 at 01:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet