U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-16-2010, 10:53 PM

3 posts, read 40,535 times

Advertisements

On my computer I have a IE Favorites, which is fine. It's on the left side of the screen.

BUT, next to the 'Star' and word Favorites, I have this star icon with a green arrow to save up in this top toolbar. Which allows you to SAVE these temporarily or for all time I guess.

HOW can I delete ALL the saved items from this tool bar that shows up with out having to individually click on every single site name/link that as been saved to go to?

On the very far right of this tool bar where I can OPEN this list and scroll down, customize title widths, etc......it pulls up this LONG favorites list that seems never ending and there are SO many the kids have saved that it would take hours or days to delete each individual site!

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 11:05 PM

I also no longer have the toolbar at the top that shows FILE EDIT VIEW HELP....etc.......

that is gone too!

Old 10-19-2010, 08:17 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,300,630 times
What version of Windows and Internet Explorer are you using?
'Favorites' list can be displayed or hidden by pressing CTRL+I keys.

The location of the Favorites for the current user would be located at (assuming Windows was installed at the default drive):
XP = C:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites
7 = C:\Users\username\Favorites
At the aforementioned directory, you should find the Favorites folder, within that folder depending on the version of Internet Explorer, the links listed on top of the browser window will either be in a sub-folder called "Links" (IE6 and earlier) or in a sub-folder called "Favorites Bar" (IE 7 and above).

To modify which menu/toolbar options appear in the browser window, point your mouse to any empty portion at the top of the browser window and right-click to select what options to enable/disable.

Old 10-19-2010, 08:38 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,331,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
What version of Windows and Internet Explorer are you using?
'Favorites' list can be displayed or hidden by pressing CTRL+I keys.

The location of the Favorites for the current user would be located at (assuming Windows was installed at the default drive):
XP = C:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites
7 = C:\Users\username\Favorites
At the aforementioned directory, you should find the Favorites folder, within that folder depending on the version of Internet Explorer, the links listed on top of the browser window will either be in a sub-folder called "Links" (IE6 and earlier) or in a sub-folder called "Favorites Bar" (IE 7 and above).

To modify which menu/toolbar options appear in the browser window, point your mouse to any empty portion at the top of the browser window and right-click to select what options to enable/disable.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:14 PM

I found my one tool bar by doing just that....right clicking on an empty space up in the too bar area! Got that! Thanks!

I apparently have IE8. I have on the right side of the toolbar area two >> and when I right click that, my favorites show up in a LONG list to where I can make the icons small or long in the tool bar.

Now when I Click my Favorites bar and it opens up on the LEFT side of my screen, HOW can I delete those sites saved with out having to click each and every one? I have my Favorites TOOL bar there!

I have tried to highlight and use the control keys to delete a few at a time and even used to control key, but all it does is shift them in the list from one area down or up to where ever my curser lands!

Can I delete a bunch of them at a time when I OPEN the favorites tool bar?

I opened up the group of them the other day, and scroll on the bottom of the page and same thing, all they do is move and I have to right click delete EACH one!

I must not be doing something right and just not getting it!

THANKS so much for your help! My son has saved SO many sites along with me here as I'm guilty too and now I'm trying to clear up the PC hoping it helps speed it up a tad bit more!

Memefl

EDITED TO ADD: I have XP Pro

Last edited by memefl; 10-20-2010 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: TO add I am using XP

Old 10-28-2010, 07:52 PM

5,128 posts, read 6,300,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memefl View Post
Can I delete a bunch of them at a time when I OPEN the favorites tool bar?

I opened up the group of them the other day, and scroll on the bottom of the page and same thing, all they do is move and I have to right click delete EACH one!

I must not be doing something right and just not getting it!

THANKS so much for your help! My son has saved SO many sites along with me here as I'm guilty too and now I'm trying to clear up the PC hoping it helps speed it up a tad bit more!

Memefl

EDITED TO ADD: I have XP Pro
OK, to delete everything from the Favorites Bar regardless of the operating system you are using would be this:
1. Open Internet Explorer
2. Click on the Favorites button to enable sub features.
3. Click on the drop-down arrow to the right of "Add to Favorites" button:

4. When the list appears, click on "Organize Favorites..." option
5. When the "Organize Favorites" window appears, highlight Favorites Bar and click on Delete button at the lower right corner:

6. Close Internet Explorer and re-open it and you will see that Favorites Bar got re-created but with no links. Now you can re-populate new ones.

IF you didn't want to delete all of them or if you wanted to modify the links in other folders as well not just the Favorites Bar, then:

1. Right-click on START button
2. Left-click on Explore
3. Browse to
Quote:
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites
directory and modify the contents there directly.

Remember when you explore to that location, the folder name will appear as "Favorites Bar" in both the left and the right panes, however, up on top in the address bar, it will still show as 'Links', that is normal.

username in the above directory path is obviously the name of the user currently logged on to the machine.

Hope this clarified things a bit better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet