Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 06:51 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
For every torrent site they close down at least one more will pop up and take it's place. The RIAA and MPAA will never learn.

An mp3 costs how much now? $1.20? A CD? $12 to $15.00?? Remember the old vinyl LP records? What did they cost? $16.00? How many songs were on the LP? 16 or so? Just checked Amazon, CD's go for $12.00 to $20.00

In 2010 paying MORE for songs than in the 70's? This is why the torrent sites will never get shut down, people are NOT going to get ripped off.... Maybe if they charged something reasonable people might actually buy music.
A LP often had only 10 songs on it. New cds are way over priced even at walmart. I only buy used cds on amazon & ebay but the $2.99 shipping fee is abit high. The artists & recording companies today sure are greedy. I have 280 cds & most are music from the 60s + 70s (various artists cds).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 AM

102 posts, read 178,969 times
steel7,

It's not the artists who are greedy, it's the people that own the companies the artists work for. The companies exact every penny they can however they can. For ever dollar taken in, the artist is lucky to see 10 cents.

Now, there are artists who hate the Internet because it respresents a total shift away from dependence on physical media. What with the ability to choose a single song for a buck, people are no longer buying complete albums, but rather picking and choosing. There are also artists who have embraced the Internet and are doing quite well, some of them with no record company behind them.

I think that the record companies have not fully taken into account that physical media is basically dead. They cannot come to grips with the paradigm shift. One only has to look at the bigger stores to see that the CD section shrinks year after year. Walmart used to have a huge CD section, but no longer. Their iPod/MP3 section with all the accessories is now as big as the CD section. Times are changing. I'm guessing how long it takes before DVD sales decrease since you can stream them over the Internet. Once broadband penetration hits almost 100%, physical media is basically toast. People may still buy CDs/DVDs, but it will never be like it is now or was. On-demand media is here forever.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
\ I only buy used cds on amazon & ebay but the $2.99 shipping fee is abit high.
They have a used CD shop near where I live, they have professional polisher. While the cases may be a bit beat up sometimes the discs always look new. Usually about $5 or $6 a disc.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:49 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Are you being serious? Did you seriously say "paying more for songs then in the 70's"? Yes. You are paying more for songs today then you did in the 70's. You are paying more for everything.
But:
In the 70's minimum wage was $2.10. Actually if you adjust for inflation you are actually paying LESS today for music then you did then even at $20 for a CD.

"What cost $16.00 in 1975 would cost $63.09 in 2009. Also, if you were to buy exactly the same products in 2009 and 1975,they would cost you $16.00 (1975)and $3.70 (2009) respectively"

The Inflation Calculator
Technology is supposed to make things cheaper... Guess it's just what everyone considers to be their "you ain't gonna rip me off anymore" breaking point.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:50 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwestern View Post
steel7,

It's not the artists who are greedy, it's the people that own the companies the artists work for. The companies exact every penny they can however they can. For ever dollar taken in, the artist is lucky to see 10 cents.

Now, there are artists who hate the Internet because it respresents a total shift away from dependence on physical media. What with the ability to choose a single song for a buck, people are no longer buying complete albums, but rather picking and choosing. There are also artists who have embraced the Internet and are doing quite well, some of them with no record company behind them.

I think that the record companies have not fully taken into account that physical media is basically dead. They cannot come to grips with the paradigm shift. One only has to look at the bigger stores to see that the CD section shrinks year after year. Walmart used to have a huge CD section, but no longer. Their iPod/MP3 section with all the accessories is now as big as the CD section. Times are changing. I'm guessing how long it takes before DVD sales decrease since you can stream them over the Internet. Once broadband penetration hits almost 100%, physical media is basically toast. People may still buy CDs/DVDs, but it will never be like it is now or was. On-demand media is here forever.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:39 AM

16,546 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Technology is supposed to make things cheaper... Guess it's just what everyone considers to be their "you ain't gonna rip me off anymore" breaking point.
As I pointed out technology has made things cheaper. $16.00 worth of music in 1975 would cost you $3.70 today.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:03 AM

4 posts, read 8,725 times
I use The Pirate Bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet