Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 08:17 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,451,949 times

Advertisements

I think I've narrowed it to Amaya and KompoZer, but I wanted other opinions before I download one of them. Which of the two would you go with, or shoud I be looking at something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 09:44 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Try NVU or even the one that came with your computer...NOTEPAD!!! Look here for lots of goodies, mostly free. Liz

Old 11-13-2007, 10:09 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Notepad! lol

FrontPage 2000 was pretty handy back in the day too.
Dreamweaver man myself now though, have the CS package.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:22 PM

I do know some hand coding. Throw rocks at me if you will, but when I first used a WYSIWYG software, I wondered why I bothered with hand coding. Other than control, I don't see the benefit. If I want to change something the interface doesn't allow me to, I just fix it in the coding. Perhaps I'm missing something...

I'm hoping to get Dreamweaver soon, but I'm going to go with a free editor until then. Kompozer is supposed to be bug-free version of NVU, so is that your suggestion?

Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
I do know some hand coding. Throw rocks at me if you will, but when I first used a WYSIWYG software, I wondered why I bothered with hand coding. Other than control, I don't see the benefit. If I want to change something the interface doesn't allow me to, I just fix it in the coding. Perhaps I'm missing something...
Using a WYSIWYG AFTER you know how to hand code is not a problem.

But here's an analogy...

Learning to drive a car. Would you put someone behind a wheel with no knowledge of how to change a tire, check fluid levels, do basic maintenance, etc? Or just send them off hoping they would learn that at some point on the way if and when something when wrong? If you don't show someone who has never seen the underside of the hood of a car where to find the dipstick, they may never find it.

Learning hand coding is much like that. You can rely on powerful editors to do the work for you but you still need to know what is UNDER the hood of your code to know what to fix.

And if you look at the job requirements of web designers, yes 99% need to know Dreamweaver...but almost as many require knowledge of hand coding AS WELL. They want to know their web designers understand WHY the code does what it does and hand coding teaches that.

And a vast majority of wysiwyg editors add extraneous code to the underneath. Frontpage was the absolute WORST offender in that regard. Granted, they made pretty pages but the code underneath was a nightmare. Liz

Old 11-14-2007, 06:53 AM

Thanks, southern lady. That makes sense. I know the basics of html, and I'm reading a book that will be teaching me frames and tables, which I don't know yet. To me, it just saves a lot of time to use an html editor. Let's hope hand coding isn't something you lose by not doing it for awhile!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:14 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,409,197 times
Agreed with southernlady.

I was the only person in my college to take our webmaster tests in Notepad. And I finished real early too. Its good to know why sommet happens. Or you know when Dreamweaver does sommet quirky, you can manually go in there and fix it.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:14 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Do you run the results through a validator? That helps to illustrate why some (not all) WYSIWYG web editing solutions are crap...

The main benefit, IMO, is knowledge. Having done it by hand, you probably now know enough to correct what a tool will automagically generate for you if needed.

That's why many CompSci programs taught assembly programmer as part of the core curriculum once upon a time ... it helps people understand the benefits of high-level languages, and also understand that the code you write in C or whatever is quite a fair distance from the code the machine is actually executing.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:23 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I like Notepad++ (Notepad++ | 5.8.2)

I'll check out codelobster.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:39 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I like Notepad++ (Notepad++ | 5.8.2)

I'll check out codelobster.
I use Notepad++ for all sorts of things. HTML, Perl, text files in general. It's a very nice little editor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet