U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 PM

102 posts, read 137,757 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about checking out EVE Online and wanted to hear from people who may be actively playing or did play. Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 12:23 AM

15,924 posts, read 15,811,636 times
I looked at the demo but no-where could I find a list of the supported platforms. I did see their information they collect from you:

We may collect and process the following data about you:
  • Information that you provide by filling in forms on our site(s) eveonline.com, and ccpgames.com (our site). This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our site, subscribing to our service, posting material or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by our business partners and when you report a problem with our site.
  • If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
  • We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
  • Details of transactions you carry out through our site and of the fulfilment of your orders. Details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
  • For some activities, we may ask you to create a username and password and/or to provide other, non-personal information such as your age, date of birth, gender, and/or game and platform preferences; and, combine such information with your personal information. In addition, your web browser or client software may transmit certain geographic information or information regarding your computer (capabilities, game data processing, etc.) to CCP. We may use this information to generate aggregate statistics about our user community and may provide such non-personal information to advertisers and/or our partners. In addition, CCP may use such information for security, system integrity (the prevention of hacking, cheats, etc.), or enforcement purposes.
IP ADDRESSES AND COOKIES
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration and to report aggregate information to our partners. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual. For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
  • To estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
  • To store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests.
  • To speed up your searches.
  • To recognise you when you return to our site.
And they have much more legalese for you to read.

Am tired now and will see if it will play on a Macbook Pro tomorrow

Old 11-03-2010, 02:36 AM
kyt

73 posts, read 100,619 times
I played it for about 4 years or so and it's a very good game.

One thing that sets apart Eve with other MMO's is that there is empire building. You can claim a piece of space as your own and build up the infrastructure there. But it is your problem to defend it from possible invaders.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 AM

plwhit and kyt,

Thanks for the great info. It looks like they do collect a lot of info, though.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:38 AM

7,376 posts, read 11,924,994 times
Played it for a few years as well. Its a great game but it can be stressful. Imagine saving up for the starship enterprise and you get it finally and you are all excited to fly it. You warp through a gate and some 10 year old kid and his buddies blow you up. That also makes the game better in my opinion. Risk vs reward.

I remember i was in some corporation way out in deep space. It was "ours" and then war broke out. I was literally stuck between 2 systems for 3 weeks. I could not actively hunt because the enemy corporation would run patrols through all the asteroid belts and try to blow your ship up if they could. I was kind of a noob so i wasnt exactly able to defend myself that well. Thats when i quit the game but I still think its one of the best MMO's ever made. Also beautiful graphics

Has a VERY high learning curve as well. Some people want to play a game and just jump right into it but Eve is a school and you have to start at the bottom before you can move up.

Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 AM

skel1977,

Good info, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet