U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-26-2010, 08:27 AM

8,461 posts, read 10,824,478 times
Default Anybody know of a good, UNLIMITED, wireless aircard plan?

AT&T kindly decided to lock me out of my wireless internet access today because I reached my plan's limit. As far as I knew, I had an unlimited plan.

Turns out, I don't anymore. Supposedly, they let me know in August, and now I'm capped at 5 GB. That's not enough, as I use it for all of my internet needs.

So now I'm looking to take my business elsewhere.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2010, 08:42 AM

964 posts, read 1,361,346 times
I think the providers are cutting back on that but I don't know of any. I used to have one (from work) that I thought was unlimited, it was at&t, but I am not sure. I have at&t again (personal) that is 5gigs.

Things to weigh out: Paying the per kb chargers for over the limit, probably expensive.
Get two plans so that is twice the fee for 10gigs.
Try to use 802 as much as possible, when possible so as not to use air card data.
Set your graphics to low resolution. I think this will reduce the size of the downloaded graphics file, not sure. It is in the at&t communication manager settings.

Old 11-26-2010, 02:34 PM

Thanks for your help proudmommy.

Well, after not having the ability to use my aircard, I tethered my old Samsung BlackJack to my computer and surfed the internet that way so I could do some research.

On the forum section of AT&T's website (of all places), I found a thread referring to my exact problem.....and some people had suggestions for where I could take my business.

I decided on Virgin Mobile's Broadband2Go (it uses Sprint's network) Prepaid $40/mo for unlimited access. I'm liking it so far.

The first time I called AT&T, they said I could cancel my aircard without paying an early termination fee. When I called back to cancel it (after getting the Virgin thing), they told me that I would indeed have to pay the early termination fee. I told her that I was told otherwise earlier this morning, and so I got transferred to a kinder fellow in their "resolutions" department. He waived the fee and canceled my air card.

AT&T has lost some points with me today. If that's how they treat customers that have been with them for over five years, then I could only imagine how they treat newer customers.

Last edited by David Aguilar; 03-12-2013 at 04:14 PM..

Old 11-26-2010, 02:48 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,547,087 times
have you tried Cricket wireless they have a few plans for the air card wireless boardband set up ..

Old 11-26-2010, 06:24 PM

964 posts, read 1,361,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I decided on Virgin Mobile's Broadband2Go (it uses Sprint's network) Prepaid $40/mo for unlimited access. I'm liking it so far.

What's the catch? At&t is $60/month for 5gigs (though I pay $45/month with an employee discount).

Old 11-26-2010, 10:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $63,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

14,259 posts, read 19,751,664 times
Clear.com is supposed to be good, but they're not in every market yet.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
What's the catch?
So far I don't see one.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:36 PM

422 posts, read 178,774 times
Can you tether your phone? I do with sprint blackberry and get it for free.

Aircards are a ripoff though. You are paying for convenience. They are slow and have these redic bandwidth caps. Normally they charge heavy overage fees for going over the plan, be glad you were cut off.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstech View Post
Can you tether your phone? I do with sprint blackberry and get it for free.

Aircards are a ripoff though. You are paying for convenience. They are slow and have these redic bandwidth caps. Normally they charge heavy overage fees for going over the plan, be glad you were cut off.
I tether my old Samsung Blackjack II when absolutely necessary. I haven't figured out how to tether my new Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) yet. I would think AT&T would cut me off eventually when I go over my "unlimited" phone data plan too, no?

Besides my aircard, I have no other internet access (I'm still pleased with the new Virgin Mobile thing). I don't have DSL or cable at home, and I need to have readily available mobile access for work, as I spend all night every night traveling across Denver/wherever else work takes me.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 AM

Just got some rep on this thread, so I'll chime in with a 2+ years update.

I still use Virgin Mobile for my mobile internet access, but now I have a mobile hotspot (as opposed to a USB stick), that costs $35/mo for 2 (or 3, I can't remember) GB of 3G or "unlimited 4G" which is now capped at 10 GB. Once you reach your limits, however, you aren't cut off, you are throttled (I have yet to be throttled, ever). You can connect up to 5 devices at once to the hotspot.

To address the "catches", here's what they would be:
-limited coverage area. Thankfully, I don't go to BFE Wyoming or Kansas much (or anywhere else relatively unpopulated), so that's not a problem.
-4G sucks while moving. While moving, 4G handles like you're jumping from wi-fi hot spot to wi-fi hotspot, and when you jump, you temporarily lose connection. This does not happen with 3G, so I have to switch off 4G while riding in a vehicle.

Other than that, we're pretty satisfied Virgin customers. We've even dropped our AT&T phones in favor of Virgin, $55/mo unlimited everything (per phone) is hard to beat (we were paying ~ $190 with AT&T for 2 phones). Again, we have the "no service in BFE" thing (the only place we've been in the past year w/o service was Casper, WY), but we purchased a CDMA Tracfone for those trips to BFE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet