Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2010, 01:57 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,980,423 times

Advertisements

I was thinking of switching to this, I have direct tv and use my phone co for dsl.

Comcast stated they were faster than DSL.

They would put something on the the telephone pole, put new tele jacks in the house where needed and something else in where the computer is so I could both use computer and phone for 49.00

I wonder if some of you have all 3 of these services with Comcast.

does the phone service work well?

Are you happy with comcast cable? and internet service?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by rural lady; 11-29-2010 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 03:19 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural lady View Post
Comcast stated they were faster than DSL.
Many times faster but I would guess the average person just surfing the web would not see the difference.

Quote:
put new tele jacks in the house where needed

The service I have with them uses standard phone jack on the modem. If they are going to want to charge you to install these new jacks tell them to take a long walk off a short pier. If you already have jacks where you want them you'd only have to tie in the existing lines to the modem which is simple and is really something you could do yourself in most cases if they wont' do it. Even running new jacks is fairly easy DIY project instead of paying Comcast some ridiculous amount to do it. You could just forgo the hard wiring altogether and get one base phone that is hardwired with a bunch of wireless satellite phones.

Quote:
and something else in where the computer is so I could both use computer and phone for 49.00
This is a special modem with phone jacks and rechargeable battery pack. The battery pack insures connectivity in case of power failure assuming you have phone that will work without power.

Quote:
does the phone service work well?
Seems there is slight delay of a second or two when you dial out, voice quality doesn't seem as good as regular service but it's adequate. Other than that I see no difference.

Quote:
Are you happy with comcast cable? and internet service?
Overall I'd say yes.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:15 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
thecoalman basically got it right.

The internet is significantly faster than DSL. This is not even trivial.

The phone service worked great for me but I eventually got rid of it and switched to OOMA. Comcast's phone service is expensive.

I have Comcast's TV service because it is generally a good selection and works well. But be aware that the image quality is worse than Satellite, FIOS, and other cable providers. Unfortunately, this is something that Comcast is doing nationwide on purpose to squeeze more channels into the service. So it's channels vs quality tradeoff.

Example of image quality: Comcast HD Quality Reduction: Details, Screenshots - AVS Forum

Old 11-29-2010, 12:39 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,099 times
How are Comcast & DSL for gaming?

Old 11-29-2010, 08:34 PM

422 posts, read 792,050 times
As long as you get the same speed, they are the same. The modems dont make a difference.

OP, dont get comcast phone service. It is almost as expensive as ATT and has little features. Get vonage or broadvoice. Ive had both and prefer broadvoice.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
We've had Comcast cable internet and TV since 2005, and we've had their digital phone service for about a year.

The internet is fine. Very fast, and usually reliable.

I like their cable offering ... we have a single HD DVR (Motorola DCH 3416, I think) which gives us dual-tuners and some good On Demand stuff. However, we're watching Netflix more and more, so maybe at some point we'll drop the TV part. Dunno.

Comcast digital telephone is fine. Much cheaper than AT&T here for what seems to me to be the same voice quality and services (we were paying almost $90/month for the same thing here in Atlanta with AT&T).

My only comment would be that all three are somewhat tied together, meaning you can't use the land line to report a cable outage most of the time because the phone is also dead. But that's only happened a few times here.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:33 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Be aware that the $49 is the introductory price. After a year or so, ours went up to $99 for both. That being said, I looked into just getting rid of the phone part, but since it's a bundle, it would have caused the internet part to go up to a point of not being worth it.

We've been very please with both. Maybe their offerings are different in areas because we get all the phone features for the base price. And I like being able to login online when out of town to listen to voice mails and see who has called.

We do not have cable or satellite, so our means of watching most t.v. is Netflix streaming through my son's xbox. We've had zero issues - and we do a lot of streaming on different devices at the same time.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:41 PM

3 posts, read 10,136 times
I'm not sure where you get that from.. Comcast has a ton of features for phone and they're mostly free. Caller ID, Caller ID block, call trace, call return. All of those are included in the Unlimited plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet