U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 09:44 AM

10,960 posts, read 15,255,781 times

Advertisements

I joined Facebook recently and had zero friends.

I got an e-mail from Facebook, that an old friend wanted to be added to my friends list. I confirmed it, of course.

A few days later I get a message that "Joe" had posted on "my wall."

I went to look and there were two questions.

1. Did Joe posts both questions on my wall or could he have only posted one?
a. if he only posted one, who else was able to post on my wall?
2. Did Joe "also" answer the two questions after he posted them, or would someone else have answered them? (who? since I had no other friends at the time, some stranger, or some friend that knew me personally, who was not yet on my friend's list?

3. So, Joe could have posted both questions, and also both answers?
or he did not have that ability?

4. I searched an old friend and saw they had 109 friends. It has been 5 weeks, and now I see they have 43 friends. How did they delete or remove the others?

5. If I let Joe join my friend's list, can Joe's friends join my list, or do I have to approve them?

6. I go to a friends Facebook book and I do not see how to post on their "wall."
How?
Can I post a funny or informative quote about the person?
Or ask a question and let others answer it?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:18 AM

901 posts, read 2,044,910 times
I'm not sure I completely understand what you're talking about, but I'll take a stab at this. I used to have a Facebook account and was pretty familiar with how it all works, but I've since deleted my account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
I joined Facebook recently and had zero friends.

I got an e-mail from Facebook, that an old friend wanted to be added to my friends list. I confirmed it, of course.

A few days later I get a message that "Joe" had posted on "my wall."

I went to look and there were two questions.

1. Did Joe posts both questions on my wall or could he have only posted one?
a. if he only posted one, who else was able to post on my wall?
Did you actually look at your FB page? (I'm not trying to be a smart alec.) Whenever someone else posts something on your wall...anything...it will show their profile photo and their name to the left of the post. If he had only posted one question and someone else posted the second one, it would have shown the profile photo and name of the person who posted it. But that could have only happened if the other person was on your friends list, too. So yes, apparently "Joe" posted both questions.

Quote:
2. Did Joe "also" answer the two questions after he posted them, or would someone else have answered them? (who? since I had no other friends at the time, some stranger, or some friend that knew me personally, who was not yet on my friend's list?
See my answer to #1 above. I'm not sure what you mean by Joe having answered the two questions, though. I think maybe you're talking about how he commented to the post he left on your wall...in which case, yes he can do that. When someone leaves a post on your wall, they can add a response to it just like anyone else on your friends list.

Quote:
3. So, Joe could have posted both questions, and also both answers?
or he did not have that ability?
Yes, and yes he had that ability. Again, not sure what you mean by "answering" his own questions. But I suspect what you're talking about is simply that he left a post on your wall, and then commented in response to it.

Quote:
4. I searched an old friend and saw they had 109 friends. It has been 5 weeks, and now I see they have 43 friends. How did they delete or remove the others?
By clicking "Friends" under their profile photo on the left. Then at the top center of the the next page that comes up, they clicked on "Edit Friends" - which took them to their list of friends. On the right side there is an "X" next to each friend on their list. When you click on that "X", it removes that friend from your friends list.

Quote:
5. If I let Joe join my friend's list, can Joe's friends join my list, or do I have to approve them?
You have to approve them. They are called "Friends of Friends". Depending on how you have your privacy settings adjusted, they may or may not even be able to see your friends list and profile. But regardless, no one can simply join your friends list without your approval.

Quote:
6. I go to a friends Facebook book and I do not see how to post on their "wall."
How?
That all depends on whether or not they are allowing friends to post on their wall. If you are on someone's friends list and you want to post something on their wall, just click on their picture and that takes you to their page. In the middle section, under their name, you will find a text box that says "Write something". Simply do that (you can also post a photo on their page, or a video) and then click the blue "Share" button. Whatever you wrote will show up on their wall.

Quote:
Can I post a funny or informative quote about the person?
So long as it doesn't violate the Facebook Terms of Service, you can. But use common sense when posting something on a friend's wall. You don't want to post anything illegal, or anything that would upset them in some way. They might delete it if they don't like what you posted, and could very well remove you from their friends list if they feel inclined to do that.

Quote:
Or ask a question and let others answer it?
Well, you can certainly ask them a question on their wall if you want. Whether or not anyone else answers, who's to say? Whenever you post something on a person's wall, any of their friends can see it and post a comment in response - depending on how the person has their privacy settings adjusted. That's generally the social nature of Facebook.

Old 01-30-2011, 08:24 AM

I'll tell you exactly what happened, and if any of your answers change or need revised you can let me know.

I joined Facebook and had zero friends.

I get an email from Facebook that said:
Hi,
Joe Jones wants to be friends with you on Facebook.
I "confirmed" the request on Jan. 5th.

Then I get a message from Facebook on Jan. 12th:
Joe Jones posted on your Wall.
Reply to this email to comment on this post.
To see your Wall and reply to posts, follow the link below:

I followed that link and it prompted me to login, and on my wall I saw:

Do you think that Howard needs to lose weight? NO

Do you think that Howard has ever stolen money from their friends? NO

so question #2 could have been incriminating, as well as false, if it was answered, yes.

Are you saying, that since Joe was my only Facebook friend,
that he asked these two questions,
and only he could have answered them?

I worked for Joe 15 years ago, so if Joe was the only person who could answer those questions, and he was the only one who could have asked those questions, then his questions and answers were "meant to be a compliment," as I'm slim and not a crook.

However, today I go to my Facebook page and I see lots of new stuff.
There is "21 questions".
Would the two questions asked on my wall, be two of these 21 questions, that everyone can ask about everyone?

Then there is a link if I want to see who answered those 2 questions, and it requires 50 coins each, and I have zero coins.

If posting, and all of that can be done by anyone, the amount of abuse can be great.
I did not exactly like question #2, but the answer given was correct.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:13 PM

Now that you've clarified that, I don't think Joe was asking questions on your wall directly. I could be wrong, but it sounds like your information is being shared with applications. You need to adjust your privacy settings so that none of your information is shared with applications....unless, of course, you WANT it shared. However, be prepared for potential privacy invasions and more spam if you want your info shared. But if I had to guess, I'd say those questions were not really asked by Joe, and are instead simply a form of Spam - especially since it's asking you to pay "coins" to see who answered the questions. Plus, it's likely those "answers" were intentionally set to be non-offensive as a way of luring you to click on that link. (Don't click on it.) Without actually seeing a screenshot of your wall, it's really hard to say what happened. But yeah, when I had my FB account, I saw that kind of stuff happening on the walls of my friends. For example, I'd look at my Newsfeed and see that my niece took a quiz about my other niece. The thing is, I had my privacy settings adjusted so that none of my information could be shared with applications, and thus no one was able to take a quiz about me. I rarely got Spam because I simply didn't have any of my information being shared with anyone beyond those who were on my friends list.

Joe may not even be aware that his name has been connected to this. You should delete the posts on your wall, contact him via private message and ask him about it, and then make sure you look more closely at your privacy settings to be sure they are adjusted how you really want them. I know it can be confusing, so feel free to ask if you need any input about them.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
Now that you've clarified that, I don't think Joe was asking questions on your wall directly. I could be wrong, but it sounds like your information is being shared with applications. You need to adjust your privacy settings so that none of your information is shared with applications....unless, of course, you WANT it shared. However, be prepared for potential privacy invasions and more spam if you want your info shared. But if I had to guess, I'd say those questions were not really asked by Joe, and are instead simply a form of Spam - especially since it's asking you to pay "coins" to see who answered the questions. Plus, it's likely those "answers" were intentionally set to be non-offensive as a way of luring you to click on that link. (Don't click on it.) Without actually seeing a screenshot of your wall, it's really hard to say what happened. But yeah, when I had my FB account, I saw that kind of stuff happening on the walls of my friends. For example, I'd look at my Newsfeed and see that my niece took a quiz about my other niece. The thing is, I had my privacy settings adjusted so that none of my information could be shared with applications, and thus no one was able to take a quiz about me. I rarely got Spam because I simply didn't have any of my information being shared with anyone beyond those who were on my friends list.

Joe may not even be aware that his name has been connected to this. You should delete the posts on your wall, contact him via private message and ask him about it, and then make sure you look more closely at your privacy settings to be sure they are adjusted how you really want them. I know it can be confusing, so feel free to ask if you need any input about them.
what do you know about this 21 questions thing?

It sounded like you could ask those questions about your friends and get answers to them.

The two questions about me, could be 2 of the 21 questions, not sure.

If the Facebook system, asked the questions, maybe Joe, knowing me, gave the answers of no. (?)

If the answer to question #2 had been YES, it would have been false and incriminating. I do not want strangers, thinking I am a crook.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
what do you know about this 21 questions thing?
Honestly, nothing. I never allowed applications to have access to any of my information, and I never used any apps on FB. So I'd never heard of it until I just did a quick internet search - and after doing some reading, apparently it's a legitimate application that people use. So it probably isn't spam as I indicated above.

Quote:
It sounded like you could ask those questions about your friends and get answers to them.

The two questions about me, could be 2 of the 21 questions, not sure.
I suppose that could very well be the case. I don't quite know how it works. You have to be a current logged-in Facebook user to find out more about it. You may want to go to the FB 21 Questions app page and read about it.

Quote:
If the Facebook system, asked the questions, maybe Joe, knowing me, gave the answers of no. (?)
From the little bit I read in my internet search, it would seem that Joe did indeed answer the questions himself. Whether or not the questions originated with him, or the FB system, is beyond me. Maybe there is a set list of standard questions...? At any rate, you have to determine whether or not you want applications to have access to your profile information, which is a personal decision on your part.

Quote:
If the answer to question #2 had been YES, it would have been false and incriminating. I do not want strangers, thinking I am a crook.
I don't blame you. But if the app has access to your information, and Joe would have said "Yes", that's something beyond your control. The only thing you could do would be to delete the posts and block the application. But who's to say Joe wouldn't use a different application that accesses your profile info? See what I mean? When you grant applications access to your profile info, you're opening yourself up to a bunch of stuff you may not like. That's why, in my humble opinion, it's wise not to grant access to those apps. You have to adjust your settings appropriately if you want to protect your privacy. And you have to keep a close eye on your profile to make sure no one is posting anything on your wall that could be detrimental to you.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:31 AM

11,839 posts, read 13,973,633 times
It's a Facebook app. It's lame.
I get them a lot from some of my lame friends.
"Joe Jones has answered some questions about you!"
*yawn*
It's a lame app that asks generic questions about your friends. You answer them and it posts that lame thing on thier wall.

There is a little button to the upper right of that post. It says HIDE. This will hide this stupid question app from appearing on your wall.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:40 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 22,198,602 times
Quote:
I'll tell you exactly what happened, and if any of your answers change or need revised you can let me know.

I joined Facebook and had zero friends.

I get an email from Facebook that said:
Hi,
Joe Jones wants to be friends with you on Facebook.
I "confirmed" the request on Jan. 5th.

Then I get a message from Facebook on Jan. 12th:
Joe Jones posted on your Wall.
Reply to this email to comment on this post.
To see your Wall and reply to posts, follow the link below:

I followed that link and it prompted me to login, and on my wall I saw:

Do you think that Howard needs to lose weight? NO

Do you think that Howard has ever stolen money from their friends? NO

so question #2 could have been incriminating, as well as false, if it was answered, yes.

Are you saying, that since Joe was my only Facebook friend,
that he asked these two questions,
and only he could have answered them?

I worked for Joe 15 years ago, so if Joe was the only person who could answer those questions, and he was the only one who could have asked those questions, then his questions and answers were "meant to be a compliment," as I'm slim and not a crook.

However, today I go to my Facebook page and I see lots of new stuff.
There is "21 questions".
Would the two questions asked on my wall, be two of these 21 questions, that everyone can ask about everyone?

Then there is a link if I want to see who answered those 2 questions, and it requires 50 coins each, and I have zero coins.

If posting, and all of that can be done by anyone, the amount of abuse can be great.
I did not exactly like question #2, but the answer given was correct.

Thanks.
That personal question is a shocker. I got one like that too when I first went on. Then I had something pop up and ask me questions about my friends too and realized that "Joe" had only answered an application and it was the application asking and answering such questions. They are trying to get you to use facebook. Ignore it. Your friend Joe has not done anything against you but maybe be as inexperienced as you are. Facebook can be very complicated. The only applications I do are hugs and smiles. I say no to everything else.

Some people play all those games. Not me!

You can remove anything you want to from your wall by following the question to the right and clicking on the X beside it. I know friends who never post things to the wall. They use the chat or message buttons.

For privacy, go click on your settings and let them know what you want to do about things. You can fix it so no one can post on your wall. You can post things for your use only. There is a lot going on on facebook. The first time I posted, I was talking to people in several different locations, wall, private message, chat, their walls. Other people realize that some of us old people do not know what we are doing. I have facebook so my children can look every day and know that I am all right without bothering. I use it when I go on trips rather than use my e-mail and have to put in my computer sign-on on another computer.

What I really like about that is that I can send the same message to everybody on my friends list by typing one sentence on my wall or I can choose to go private messages and send messages only to those I choose individually or several at one time.

So I go on a trip that several of my friends know about and I private message them only as a group that we have arrived because I don't want all my friends to know I am on a trip. I do not let friends of friends see a lot of things, because some of my friends have more than 500 friends and they could be robbers. I think some people just befriend anybody. I keep my friends list to a small group of friends and family.

Last edited by NCN; 01-31-2011 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-01-2011, 04:32 PM

I never got an e-mail about the above 3 comments.
I went into my settings and found a drop down box for many things. Some were set to allow only my friends to access, and others were marked for anyone.
I changed all of them to "only my friends."

I'll look around and see if there are other settings.

I did not quickly see any "privacy" settings. Of course I want all people to ask to be on my friends list.
If some software is asking inappropriate questions, and letting non friends answer them, I can see a very abusive feature, that is quite public. No one wants false information of a personal nature.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:39 PM

I'm on my wall and "recent activity" lets me click on 21 questions. There it ask me to answer a question about one of my friends..."do you think XXX will engage in a fist fight. I prefer not to ask that question.

I am not seeing "hide" anywhere. When I am in my profile, on my wall page, under account, top right, there is an X and that "removes" something. Maybe the wall, maybe my entire profile.

Under recent activity, the choices for 21 questions are:
21 questions
comment
visit 21 questions

beside the 4 choices for "21 questions" is another "X." This one is "remove post"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or