Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 04:22 PM

251 posts, read 950,596 times

Advertisements

I was doing some shopping on the computer when I decided to check for coupons codes for the site I was on. I click on the number two Google result, I am not sure what the actual site was, and as soon as I do I get a message saying my computer is infected and a some scan starts. I use AVG virus protection and the scan did not look like AVG. I stopped the scan as quickly as I could, and ran my AVG program and also Malwarebytes. Both sites came up clean. Do I have anything to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 05:22 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,979,764 times
Hard to say if there's anything to be concerned about -- maybe or maybe not. If your computer is still working fine and no odd things are popping up out of your system tray, then maybe you're ok. However, I'm no longer a fan of AVG -- loyal user for years until it started having problems (one of the exe files would run and hang). I switched to Avast, and its first scan picked up a trojan that AVG had missed.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 AM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,092 times
I use Avast and have been hit with viruses as the one the OP mentioned and had to reload windows.
I have a 2 year suscription to Avast but would be willing to take a lost and switch protection if there is one that actually works and stops viruses.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:52 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witton View Post
I was doing some shopping on the computer when I decided to check for coupons codes for the site I was on. I click on the number two Google result, I am not sure what the actual site was, and as soon as I do I get a message saying my computer is infected and a some scan starts. I use AVG virus protection and the scan did not look like AVG. I stopped the scan as quickly as I could, and ran my AVG program and also Malwarebytes. Both sites came up clean. Do I have anything to worry about.

That's the malware thing that has been traveling around the internet. It must not have gotten to the point where it installs itself.. cuase brother you'd know if it did.
It will bug the crap out of you to buy some anti-virus software and then if you do your credit card is stolen....

Old 02-28-2011, 01:25 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
Default I prefer the BitDefender and Malwarebyte combo

I never had much luck with Avast or AVG. Neither caught some pretty nasty viruses. I do have Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and it has removed every nasty virus for the past two years. I also find that BitDefender is the most effective anti-virus software I've ever used, far more effective than Eset Nod32, AVG, Avast, Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, Trend Micro, Ad-Aware, and so forth. I've tried them all. Among the rest, I've found that either they disrupt or slow down your system while they work or they're hard to get rid of or they're simply not effective in spotting the virus or eliminating it.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:31 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Just to be clear - you most likely did not get to the point where you infected yourself with malware (see post #4 above). What you saw was a dynamic web page which tries to scare you into thinking you're infected, by pretending to scan your system and find infections. Then when they offer you a download for you to install to "fix" your system, that's when they would actually infect your system, because the phony "fix" is actually the malware. So as long as you didn't download and install anything, you most likely are ok.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 PM

17 posts, read 49,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I use Avast and have been hit with viruses as the one the OP mentioned and had to reload windows.
I have a 2 year suscription to Avast but would be willing to take a lost and switch protection if there is one that actually works and stops viruses.
Malwarebytes. The free version isn't realtime or anything like Avast is, but it's more of a last resort before you need to reformat. Saved me several times.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 AM

901 posts, read 2,386,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by witton View Post
I'd say "No", you most likely don't have anything to worry about. Those things have popped up on me before, and I've usually just called up my Task Manager to end the process for my browser, which forces it to shut down, but after starting it back up I was fine.

FWIW, I know advertising is what helps pay for different websites, but I never click on ads precisely because of what happened with you. It's happened to me enough that I said "Forget it, it's not worth clicking on the ads".

Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,673,832 times
Its probably just a pop up that looks like a virus scan. Its not a virus but instead its malware.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:22 AM

386 posts, read 1,051,914 times
I second Malware Bytes Free edition. I use it all the time to remove malware and viruses from computers. Can take a while, but works like a charm...and its FREE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet