Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 06:12 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times

Advertisements

(not sure this is in the right forum, Celebrities or TV or something may be better, feel free to move!)

Has anyone attended a "twitter chat"?
Ie where a famous author says they will be online on twitter for an hour at X time and answer questions, or the actors of a show say they will be online and chatting with fans during the show. What was it like? Is it horrendously busy and hard to keep up with reading the q&a? Do they use a special hashtag or how can you read other's questions (as answers alone often don;t make sense)? Are there rules for the participants and if so how are they communicated? If you were the organiser of a twitter chat, what would you prepare/ look out for?

(yep, I am completely new to twitter!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 07:41 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Let me google that for you (http://tinyurl.com/38kap9x - broken link)

Old 03-28-2011, 03:47 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,769,664 times
Thanks, but I already did that.
I was looking for personal stories/ recommendations/ experiences.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:00 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
I did that with Anthony Bourdain during his Haiti episode. I loved it.
It's like he's sitting next to you watching the show with you and telling you about it. He tweeted maybe 10-14 times during the show.
When someone asked a question, you would only see it if Anthony retweeted it. But he was good. He didn't retweet many he would just reply like this:

@Tweeter: yes, when Sean said he was there all the time he really was...

It's nice having it on the phone, too. I didn't need a laptop.

I unfollowed him shortly after because I only follow like 3 people and a restaraunt and I like to keep it small.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:09 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
It's easiest to follow Twitter traffic from an application and that would be the best way to follow a chat. I didn't truly get the appeal of Twitter until I viewed it from an application. The web site is kind of 1-dimensional.

Whether the chat has a hashtag or not is up to the organizer. If it does, you can see all of the traffic by following the hashtag. If not, you can use your app to find "mentions," meaning anything that's posted that is directed @ the person doing the chatting.

One of the advantages to using an app is that you can click on a reply and see the full text of the question, so that it looks more like a conversation. That is helpful if the replies don't quote the question.

Old 03-31-2011, 10:52 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
It's easiest to follow Twitter traffic from an application and that would be the best way to follow a chat. I didn't truly get the appeal of Twitter until I viewed it from an application. The web site is kind of 1-dimensional.
As I am clueless to Twitter and apps could you help this stupid guy out?

What application?

Any assistance would be much appreciated as I don't have too much hair left to pull out...

Old 04-01-2011, 07:06 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
As I am clueless to Twitter and apps could you help this stupid guy out?

What application?

Any assistance would be much appreciated as I don't have too much hair left to pull out...
Tweetdeck is my favorite Twitter app on Windows. On the Mac, I like Echofon.

On a mobile device, there are a bunch of Twitter apps for iOS and Android... the official Twitter app for those platforms is a good simple one to start with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet