Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 02:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Remembering, of course, that FB does that only when the member gives that permission. It's up to the member to be knowledgable about what all those perimeters mean.

Many, many of my friends are on FB and only two of them didn't understand about this. NOW, they do
FB has changed the rules, in the past so that what was hidden and private is suddenly exposed to anyone and everyone.
Facebook Privacy Change Sparks Federal Complaint - PCWorld
Do not trust this site with anything you do not want visible to the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 05:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Remembering, of course, that FB does that only when the member gives that permission. It's up to the member to be knowledgable about what all those perimeters mean.

Many, many of my friends are on FB and only two of them didn't understand about this. NOW, they do
So, according to your position, it is perfectly OK for me to be victimized by FB users being too lazy or not caring, to search their menu of options and disable a feature that a great majority of users don't even understand, in order to protect people who don't see things the way they do.

FaceBook set that feature as the default, and it is applicable to everyone who thinks that it would be fun to invite all their friends to be FB members. Telling me it is up to my friends to not absent-mindedly allow the default exposure my email address, does not fill me with optimism that I am safe from these kinds of corporate for-profit shenanigans.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:02 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So, according to your position, it is perfectly OK for me to be victimized by FB users being too lazy or not caring, to search their menu of options and disable a feature that a great majority of users don't even understand, in order to protect people who don't see things the way they do.

FaceBook set that feature as the default, and it is applicable to everyone who thinks that it would be fun to invite all their friends to be FB members. Telling me it is up to my friends to not absent-mindedly allow the default exposure my email address, does not fill me with optimism that I am safe from these kinds of corporate for-profit shenanigans.
Oh no, JT, you've misunderstood me: it's NOT OK at all! If you will reference my comment where I said ...
Quote:
Macrina said: many of my friends are on FB and only two of them didn't understand about this. NOW, they do
I was indicating that once I understood what had happened after getting an intrusive and unwanted email from FaceBook, my two friends heard from me, loudly and clearly! In both cases, they had no idea of the ramifications of their naively made choices on the member settings. I will say that both of them are rather unsophisticated concerning internet usage, and it took a bit of convincing for them to believe what I'd just said.

And I fault FaceBook greatly on this. However, to lodge any complaint I'd have to sign up with them, and this I refuse to do, even with my super-hidden-identity email address.

I loath FaceBook, and will never have anything to do with it.

Quote:
jtur88 said: Telling me it is up to my friends to not absent-mindedly allow the default exposure my email address, does not fill me with optimism that I am safe from these kinds of corporate for-profit shenanigans.
I understand, but in my case, and as I said, it was with only two friends who didn't understand the FB settings, that was the quickest way to stop the flow of FB generated 'invites'. As I wrote earlier, I also barred FB at my ISP, and so the emails never even get into Greymail, which doesn't even come into my computer, but stops at the ISP.

Last edited by Macrina; 04-12-2011 at 08:17 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 12:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Oh no, JT, you've misunderstood me: it's NOT OK at all!
What I understood was, that you are depending on your friends to obey your commands, and conduct their online affairs the way you want them to, which is not a very reliable way to assume that there will be compliance, not to mention amity. You rely on your friends' diligence and cooperation, to be your watchdog. You are still left open to having your e-mail address passed along to interests who are prone to abuse it. Entities like FaceBook know all about your kind, and they have staff working around the clock to devise ways to persuade or trick your friends into disclosing your email address, no matter what your instructions to them.

And you seem OK with that level of confidence.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:12 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,767,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What I understood was, that you are depending on your friends to obey your commands, and conduct their online affairs the way you want them to, which is not a very reliable way to assume that there will be compliance, not to mention amity. You rely on your friends' diligence and cooperation, to be your watchdog. You are still left open to having your e-mail address passed along to interests who are prone to abuse it. Entities like FaceBook know all about your kind, and they have staff working around the clock to devise ways to persuade or trick your friends into disclosing your email address, no matter what your instructions to them.

And you seem OK with that level of confidence.
JT, I didn't and do not "command my friends" to do anything. When I let them know what was happening, they were as upset as was I, and they changed their options & permissions on FB.

That was the end of it.

As I'd written earlier, these two persons were relatively naive about internet privacy issues, and didn't understand what it meant when they chose certain options on FB.

Quote:
You are still left open to having your e-mail address passed along to interests who are prone to abuse it.
There's no indication that this is happening, at least nothing reaches my email inbox. My ISP's spam filters are so tough that I get notices of only about 5 suspicious email a week: as I wrote earlier, those are caught in Greymail and don't even reach my inbox. I get no spam at all in my inbox, so this seems to indicate things are securely arranged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet