Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2011, 09:13 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,532,703 times

Advertisements

At what must be heavy use times Firefox starts hanging me. The page freezes and I get (not responding). It drives me insane.

I know its FF, not my computer and not my ISP because if I switch to chrome I don't have the problem. But chrome is, in general, so inferior I hate to use it.

Is there any solution to this problem other than staying off the computer or not using FF?

I am not tech savvy so please keep any advice or instructions simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 12:54 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,017,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
At what must be heavy use times Firefox starts hanging me. The page freezes and I get (not responding). It drives me insane.

I know its FF, not my computer and not my ISP because if I switch to chrome I don't have the problem. But chrome is, in general, so inferior I hate to use it.

Is there any solution to this problem other than staying off the computer or not using FF?

I am not tech savvy so please keep any advice or instructions simple.
I don't really understand you logic that Chrome doesn't have a problem that Firefox does, but its inferior. Normally "problem" = inferior. Just sayin.

Anyways, have you considered trying Firefox 4. The reviews sound pretty good. Maybe it might solve some of your problems.

Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client

Old 04-15-2011, 12:58 PM

135 posts, read 248,032 times
Chrome is light years better.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:14 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,206,280 times
It's not the browser. It may be your settings within the browser or pc, or it may be your pc. It may be the Chrome. But the problem is not FireFox.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:45 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,829,876 times
This is a known issue with FireFox with some addons and versions of adobe flash and java. If you google "Firefox hanging" or firefox freezing" you will find tons of posting about it on various sites and I have had a couple of friends with this very issue.

To fix it try:

1) Make sure you have adobe flash up to date with the latest version.

2) Same thing with Java, make sure it is up to date.

3) You might also consider installing the NoScript addon to prevent advertising and other flash from automatically running.

4) Uninstall addons one by one starting with the most recently added to see if one of them is causing the issue. Being that FF is open source and any Tom, Dick or Harry self proclaimed "coder" can attempt to write an addon and post it somewhere, you may have gotten a poorly written addon from somewhere that is overflowing a buffer, leaving a dangling pointer etc. and causing FF to hang up.

5) If all else fails, completely uninstall FF, reboot your computer and reinstall FF.

I agree with you on Chrome, it still leaves a lot to be desired and definitely isn't anywhere near as good as FF. If I was going to use something other than FF it would be Opera.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:04 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,503,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post

4) Uninstall addons one by one starting with the most recently added to see if one of them is causing the issue. Being that FF is open source and any Tom, Dick or Harry self proclaimed "coder" can attempt to write an addon and post it somewhere, you may have gotten a poorly written addon from somewhere that is overflowing a buffer, leaving a dangling pointer etc. and causing FF to hang up.
I'll add to this, and recommend that you should uninstall what is not useful, provides a function you really need/want.

AdBlock and NoScript are the essentials, the rest is pretty much un-needed fluff, with the caveat that some may be useful based on what you do on different sites.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:23 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,532,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
This is a known issue with FireFox with some addons and versions of adobe flash and java. If you google "Firefox hanging" or firefox freezing" you will find tons of posting about it on various sites and I have had a couple of friends with this very issue.

To fix it try:

1) Make sure you have adobe flash up to date with the latest version.

2) Same thing with Java, make sure it is up to date.

3) You might also consider installing the NoScript addon to prevent advertising and other flash from automatically running.

5) If all else fails, completely uninstall FF, reboot your computer and reinstall FF.

I agree with you on Chrome, it still leaves a lot to be desired and definitely isn't anywhere near as good as FF. If I was going to use something other than FF it would be Opera.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I'll add to this, and recommend that you should uninstall what is not useful, provides a function you really need/want.

AdBlock and NoScript are the essentials, the rest is pretty much un-needed fluff, with the caveat that some may be useful based on what you do on different sites.
Thanks, you two have given me something to work on. I know adobe is up to date, not sure about Java. I am using FF 4, and adblock plus, but I don't think NoScript,

Let me see what I can figure out. I can go days and days with no problems and then comes a day like today that I am rebooting constantly because FF is hanging on me.

Chrome in my opinion is too slow, compared to FF, except of course on days like today I don't think I've ever tried Opera.

<edit> this did not start with FF 4. It's been doing it for the last three upgrades. It's not my computer, as I stated, when I switch browsers I don't have the problem. It just happens that other than this problem I prefer firefox.

Last edited by catsmom21; 04-15-2011 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet