Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 12:27 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

What constantly causes that message to pop up and slow things down when I am using the internet?

I use Windows XP and the FireFox Browser

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 03:57 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
FF and flash is up to date?

You can try reinstalling Flash but I'm guessing that isn't going to help.

How to do a clean install of Flash Player - YouTube!

Next time it slows down press and hold down the ctrl and alt keys, then hit delete.

This will open task manager, switch to the process tab. Find firefox.exe, you'll probably see that it's consuming a huge amount of RAM.

I never have had success with FF on my old machine as it would always slow down after a few days and be using in excess of 500MB of RAM which was half of what was available in total even if I only had a few tabs open. I always suspected it had something to do with Flash.

In any event don't open a lot of tabs and close and restart FF once a day.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
FF and flash is up to date?

You can try reinstalling Flash but I'm guessing that isn't going to help.

How to do a clean install of Flash Player - YouTube!

Next time it slows down press and hold down the ctrl and alt keys, then hit delete.

This will open task manager, switch to the process tab. Find firefox.exe, you'll probably see that it's consuming a huge amount of RAM.

I never have had success with FF on my old machine as it would always slow down after a few days and be using in excess of 500MB of RAM which was half of what was available in total even if I only had a few tabs open. I always suspected it had something to do with Flash.

In any event don't open a lot of tabs and close and restart FF once a day.

I open about 4 tabs when I use FF.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:23 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
How much RAM do you have? XP will run with 500MB but ideally you should have at least 1GB.

As far as FF goes it not necessarily the amount of tabs open but leaving it open for an extended period of time without ever closing FF at least in my experience. e.g. you use it all day and the computer goes to sleep, then you use it the next day without ever closing FF.

If the problem persists after reinstalling Flash and you're running the latest version of FF that's the next place to look.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
How much RAM do you have? XP will run with 500MB but ideally you should have at least 1GB.

As far as FF goes it not necessarily the amount of tabs open but leaving it open for an extended period of time without ever closing FF at least in my experience. e.g. you use it all day and the computer goes to sleep, then you use it the next day without ever closing FF.

If the problem persists after reinstalling Flash and you're running the latest version of FF that's the next place to look.

How do I check how much RAM I have?

Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
How do I check how much RAM I have?
~ Click on Start

~ Click on Control Panel

~ Click on System

Under the General Tab you will see a section named "Computer:" in the following example the system has 768MB of RAM installed....

Old 05-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
~ Click on Start

~ Click on Control Panel

~ Click on System

Under the General Tab you will see a section named "Computer:" in the following example the system has 768MB of RAM installed....

Thanks

Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Did you fixed it?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Did you fixed it?

Things seem to be a little bit different after I found out how to check the RAM and increase the space. Last night was the 1st night I didn't have to turn off the entire computer and restart the FF broswer

Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
I asked, because I remember having similar problem and it was a flash protected mode.
Here is a tutorial how to turn it off:
Flash - MozillaZine Knowledge Base
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/955929
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet