U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 PM

1,688 posts, read 5,745,790 times

Advertisements

For many years, probably since 2000 or so, I have had Webshots to host my digital pics. So the other day I log on to find I have ZERO pictures and ZERO albums! I started looking around and found that their server failed recently. The forum stated something like some of your pics may have been lost but instead I lost EVERYTHING. I can't tell you how sick I am about family photos and everything. Anyone have any suggestions or where to host my pics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 09:05 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,303,235 times
you need to keep a copy of them on your computer as well.

think of the online hosting companies as a backup; if your hard disk fails, you can go to them to get another copy. If their system fails, you can replace the backup w/ the copies on your machine.

you can also have a backup drive in your own system.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:41 PM

34,278 posts, read 59,604,944 times
Default OP, I feel awful for you....

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
you need to keep a copy of them on your computer as well.

think of the online hosting companies as a backup; if your hard disk fails, you can go to them to get another copy. If their system fails, you can replace the backup w/ the copies on your machine.

you can also have a backup drive in your own system.

Ditto.

I have thousands of photos on Flickr. Almost all of them are duplicated on a handful of hard drives at home and at the office.
And I am going to load gallery software on my hosted VPS and keep them there too.

Too many stories of photo sites dumping photos for me to take a chance.
I recently saw a guy moaning on line that Flickr admin had made an error and dumped 4000 photos. Hit the wrong account by error. No chance to retrieve them.
They offered him a free year of Flickr Pro for compensation. I.e., $25.

If I have a photo saved on line, and not accessible on a hard drive, it is a photo that means nothing to me.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 PM

28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Sorry to hear that happened. Wish I could fix it....

Old 04-21-2011, 12:16 AM

2,791 posts, read 3,433,199 times
Sorry to hear you lost your pictures.
Do you not have them on your computer? Surely you weren't relying on online hosting to save your pictures forever were you? These companies can go out of business, sell out to another company and change their operation or as what happened to you, their server can crash. I have two copies of all my pictures. One on my computer (on my secondary drive...not the C drive with my OS) and also on an external hard drive that I only connect once in a while to backup things I don't want to lose.

It is hard to believe they didn't have backups of their servers though to restore data in the event of a failure such as this. Have you emailed them to see if they have a backup and can restore your account?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 AM

1,688 posts, read 5,745,790 times
I didn't save my pictures as I have had problems with my computer and thought hey, why not let these guys host my pictures. I should have known better. I have tried contacting them through their 'feedback' site but I never heard back. Just now I found a 'lost password' email so I emailed them to see if they can tell me anything. I'm hoping they can tell me something soon.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:50 AM

1,940 posts, read 8,303,235 times
hope you get them back. i think its just terrible they were lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or