U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM

901 posts, read 2,043,834 times

Advertisements

What do you consider to be the best free VPN services available? And what are the pros and cons of using a free VPN service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:15 AM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Ultra VNC : Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool, Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control

There are no cons.

/edit/ Sorry , my bad. You said VPN.
I just use the VPN built into Windows. What are you trying to accomplish?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:19 PM

901 posts, read 2,043,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Ultra VNC : Remote Support Software, Remote Support tool, Remote Desktop Control, Remote Access Software, PC Remote Control

There are no cons.

/edit/ Sorry , my bad. You said VPN.
I just use the VPN built into Windows. What are you trying to accomplish?
There's a VPN built into Windows 7? How do I utilize it?

As for what I'm trying to accomplish: I'm going to be taking a road trip soon and will be needing to access the internet at different wifi hotspots. I've read they are notoriously unsecure places and I could potentially have my system hacked into, or my internet communications intercepted with the potential of having my passwords exposed and privacy compromised. Someone recommended using a VPN to help guard against that stuff. In my research, I read there are free ones. I was just wondering which ones were the best.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:42 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,490,079 times
Some consumer routers have built-in VPN services. Check into whether yours does.

All you really need to do is make sure that your operating system and antivirus software is up to date, and that your firewall is enabled. Introducing a VPN into the equation is unnecessary*, and adds complexity and latency that you don't want.

*If you're going to be accessing any private/corporate networks while on the road, it's probably a good idea to use a VPN, and may be required by company policy and/or technology.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:03 PM

11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
VPN has been built into Windows since... 98 I think.
But you are missing an important piece of the puzzle: you need an Endpoint. A VPN device to... well VPN INTO. or a VPN router as Swagger said.
VPN creates a secure tunnel between your computer and somewhere else and establishes a secure connection between the 2 (usually) computers. Like a corporate network. So you can access the files on that server with no fear of being hacked.

If you are really concerend I have 2 options for you.

Free but I have actually never heard of this before:

iPIG - iOpus Private Internet Gateway - Protect data in open WIFI, WLAN, WEP, WPA, 802.11 a/b/g, LAN networks

Or for $50 for 1 year of access you could try this:

WiFi Guardian - Internet Security Software

Old 09-10-2011, 03:10 AM

2 posts, read 2,723 times
First I used free service of kebrum.com company, than I took their paid service, both are relly good, and of course paid service a little bit better

Old 09-10-2011, 03:51 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,822,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falter View Post
First I used free service of kebrum.com company, than I took their paid service, both are relly good, and of course paid service a little bit better
May I ask what reason are you using A vpn for

Old 09-11-2011, 02:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,723 times
For security

Old 08-03-2014, 04:46 PM
JL

7,362 posts, read 12,058,903 times
This is an old thread, so i'm looking for the latest info...what are some really good, reliable, and free VPN services out there? I would like to use one especially if i travel outside the country on vacation and need to check my email or other private stuff(banking, brokerage accts, paying bills, etc.). I could use my company's VPN when i travel on vacation, but rather not since the company only wants us to use it for business travel. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet