U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
Reputation: 8302

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
If everyone had an open router, there would be no way the police could pinpoint you for crimes commited on your line.
That is ABSOULTLY FALSE, as EVERY PACKET will contain the IP address assigned to YOUR ROUTER, and can be tracked directly to your doorstep.

Every crime committed by anyone connected to your router via wireless will in fact track directly back to you, and only to you, and you will not even be able to prove anyone else ever connected through your router.

Of course after you sit in a jail cell for days, and every computer, smart phone, iPad, etc. in your house is gone through, and 10's of thousands of dollars, the lack of evidence on your computers charges will probably be dropped.

Of course if everyone had an open router, there would be such an astounding growth in the trading of music and kiddy porn, without the fear of being tracked, it could overwhelm the agencies trying to stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrcousert View Post
The benefits outweigh the risks.
The benefit is ONLY for the leaches and the criminals, the risks for people stupid enough open (or leave open) their WiFi can be life changing, prison, financial ruin, going through life as a registered sex offender.

It isn't hard to figure out how to get the front door of someones home or apartment broken down and angry men with guns slam them to the floor and haul them off to jail, taking computers with them, possibly within a couple of hours. The only technical expertise needed would be to connect to an open wireless network.

Life is not facebook and tweets, survival disconnected is actually possible, and enjoyable.

Last edited by Asheville Native; 05-02-2011 at 06:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2011, 10:24 PM
 
1,441 posts, read 2,571,467 times
Reputation: 2044
Quote:
Life is not facebook and tweets, survival disconnected is actually possible, and enjoyable.
People connect for reasons other than facebook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2011, 02:37 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
Reputation: 8302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
People connect for reasons other than facebook.
Then they can get a data plan on their phone to check their email.

Still hoping you are going to enlighten us by answering my previous question, which you said could be done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
Figuring this out is not as impossible as you might think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
If you know something about networks, and detecting a wireless host connection after the fact, and how to track that back to the individual user please share that with us.

I've worked in networking since the early 90's and based on everything I know about how they work, I say it can't be done. If it can, I really would like to know how to do it, if you would please share that information.

Thanks
Do you know something about how this can be done that I don't understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 04:17 AM
 
15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times
Reputation: 7645
^^^ The poster is replying to himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 09:47 AM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
Reputation: 8302
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
^^^ The poster is replying to himself?
I'm repeating a question for another poster that has likely ignored it cause they can't back up what they said can be done.

Why are you worrying about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 08:06 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,815 posts, read 13,959,030 times
Reputation: 8050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Why are you worrying about it?
Well it does look kind of odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 10:39 AM
 
26,158 posts, read 15,737,854 times
Reputation: 17235
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit
Now before most of you go nuts and say this is the stupidest idea since the Obama administration decided to produce a Pakistani version of Sesame Street, read the article and think about it and think of the ramifications of open WiFi routers...

What are your thoughts?
I think its the stupidist idea ever!

People tend to abuse things they think cant be tracked back to them.. (Downloading illegial stuff they wouldnt do on thier own network)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Texas State Fair
8,565 posts, read 9,804,039 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
That is ABSOULTLY FALSE, as EVERY PACKET will contain the IP address assigned to YOUR ROUTER, and can be tracked directly to your doorstep.

Every crime committed by anyone connected to your router via wireless will in fact track directly back to you, and only to you, and you will not even be able to prove anyone else ever connected through your router.
There may be some positive trend in the theft of IP over a wireless connectioin...

Quote:
District Court Judge Harold Baker has denied a copyright holder the right to subpoena the ISPs of alleged copyright infringers, because an IP-address does not equal a person.

Among other things, Judge Baker cited a recent child porn case where the US authorities raided the wrong people, because the real offenders were piggybacking on their Wi-Fi connections. Using this example, the judge claims that several of the defendants in VPR's case may have nothing to do with the alleged offense either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 02:50 PM
 
16,308 posts, read 25,262,012 times
Reputation: 8302
It may hold the RIAA off, but let someone download some kiddie porn, send a threatening email to a government leader from your IP address, and you will have nice look at the carpet in your living room while you are being trussed up like a roasting hen by men with badges, guns and no sense of humor as they load you and all your computers up for a trip downtown.

True if you didn't do it, you will likely be set free, but your computers trashed, legal bills, loss of job, shunned by neighbors to show for your laziness or ignorance. Sure the chances are remote, but it is like wearing your seat-belt, at the moment it is needed it's too late.

Secure your damn WiFi and avoid the risk.

Even if it became a constitutional right that you could not be even questioned for anything that occurred from your IP address, they might as well take all the child porn laws off the books also because they to would be immune from the laws.

Adjusting or ignoring laws to protect the stupid is counter productive. It gives the criminials the anonymity they crave, dramatically increases the possible number of victims, and gives the stamp of approval to stupid behavior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2011, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Texas State Fair
8,565 posts, read 9,804,039 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It may hold the RIAA off, but let someone download some kiddie porn, send a threatening email to a government leader from your IP address, and you will have nice look at the carpet in your living room while you are being trussed up like a roasting hen by men with badges, guns and no sense of humor as they load you and all your computers up for a trip downtown.

True if you didn't do it, you will likely be set free, but your computers trashed, legal bills, loss of job, shunned by neighbors to show for your laziness or ignorance. Sure the chances are remote, but it is like wearing your seat-belt, at the moment it is needed it's too late.

Secure your damn WiFi and avoid the risk.

Even if it became a constitutional right that you could not be even questioned for anything that occurred from your IP address, they might as well take all the child porn laws off the books also because they to would be immune from the laws.

Adjusting or ignoring laws to protect the stupid is counter productive. It gives the criminials the anonymity they crave, dramatically increases the possible number of victims, and gives the stamp of approval to stupid behavior.
I agree and support your comments.

My router allows only two dynamic IP's, one for each of my connected devices. WIFI is disabled and I use MAC assignment for allowed access to the router.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:42 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top