U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 12:53 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,791,839 times

Advertisements

I have noticed on many different occasions that I will put a search term into google (i.e. "watermelon pickles), and when I click on the "hits" a web page will come up that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with watermelon pickles.

If you read the copy on the website there will be many references made to watermelon pickles, but if you hover over the watermelon pickle links and look at the status bar, they are for hyperlinks that have nothing to do with the subject.

Obviously, somehow the website is taking the search term that you have put INTO google and somehow replaced variable data with this information.

How do they do this? I am so curious how on earth this could happen. Obviously, it has something to do with cookies. Most likely, when you search on a term in Google it makes a cookie, which then the website accesses as soon as you log on to it.

Let me show you an example. I did a google search on Dr. Sebi's book "Seven Days in Usua Village". One of the links that came back was sanderbruggeman.com/iou-dr-sebi.html. which has nothing to do with the search terms.

Thanks in advance

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,897 posts, read 33,631,471 times
What you describe is called a "click farm." Click farms are sites that have mastered the secrets of getting search engines to rank them highly for bunches of terms that people search for. Click farms don't want to provide what you're looking for. Their goal is to provide a link that they can get paid for you to click that will contain what you are looking for. A web-based middleman.

Google doesn't like click farms and started taking action (changing the aforementioned "secrets") earlier this year to prevent them from showing up near the top of search results.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 PM

40,182 posts, read 41,790,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Most likely, when you search on a term in Google it makes a cookie, which then the website accesses as soon as you log on to it.
Only the domain that sets a cookie can access it, if google.com sets a cookie example.com cannot read it. The way they track your behavior is a domain will allow a third party to set a cookie. For example when you view a web page that has Google ads Google can set or access its own cookie, since Google ads are on six gazillion sites....

Old 05-04-2011, 08:53 PM

5,070 posts, read 9,076,032 times
Might try those same terms and then click on Images. You are a bound to see something about watermelon pickles.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:56 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,842,581 times
Are you searching using the quotation marks at both ends? I know it is really a silly suggestion but using quotation marks to encapsulate a string of related words could yield more relevant results.

If you haven't tried yet, try search for "watermelon pickles" or "watermelon" AND "pickles" instead of watermelon pickles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or