U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,648,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Can you tell me a song/video that has such an add at the beginning?
YouTube - ‪LadyGagaVEVO's Channel‬‏

'nuff said........

Went to YT, did a search on lady gaga and picked the first video that was displayed.....

Oh, and BTW, close the browser session after you've seen the video and open it again..... a different commercial will be displayed.....

Hopefully after you've read all the posts on your thread you will set your wayback machine to 2011.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:49 PM

22,364 posts, read 19,823,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
YouTube - ‪LadyGagaVEVO's Channel‬‏

'nuff said........

Went to YT, did a search on lady gaga and picked the first video that was displayed.....

Oh, and BTW, close the browser session after you've seen the video and open it again..... a different commercial will be displayed.....

Hopefully after you've read all the posts on your thread you will set your wayback machine to 2011.......
There is no ad whatsoever, the first thing I see is the red cross and Judas . Are they normal Google text ads? I can't see those anywhere, maybe that's why. Well, if there are ads, then indeed part of my op is obsolete

But even again, I still think most videos including original songs in full length are uploaded kind of illegally, unless on Vevo etc.

Old 05-20-2011, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
There is no ad whatsoever, the first thing I see is the red cross and Judas . Are they normal Google text ads? I can't see those anywhere, maybe that's why. Well, if there are ads, then indeed part of my op is obsolete
Does the song immediately start to play or does it go into a promo for gaga and then start to play?

Quote:
But even again, I still think most videos including original songs in full length are uploaded kind of illegally, unless on Vevo etc.
Your opinion.........

And since you believe most of the songs are illegal you've reported this to YT, to the RIAA, law enforcement and the F.B.I. I would assume.

Because if you didn't you'd be complicit in that law breaking knowing an illegal activity was on-going and failed to report said illegal acts to the appropriate authorities.

Man, with these video's taking up probably 70% of YT content for years I am surprised that the RIAA has overlooked it considering they have come down hard on any person or organization that plays illegal copies of copyrighted material.

Since they haven't one has to wonder why???

Do you have an answer on why the RIAA hasn't gone to court and gotten a cease and desist order against YT?

Last edited by plwhit; 05-20-2011 at 02:15 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 07:11 AM

As I said, it starts to play as soon as I click your link. The playback starts with those bikers and the red cross.

No, I don't report any videos. I don't live in the US, so I don't care about the RIAA, FBI etc. Nor do I report them to YT. As I said, I am quite happy those videos are up there as many of the songs I like are very rare and not available on CD, let alone here. Nor would I buy a CD because of one or two good songs. And I haven't tried buying individual songs online yet, I guess one would need a credit card for that.

No idea why YT doesn't remove illegal content. There is so much of it, maybe people have simply stopped denouncing it. There was a phase when they removed quite a lot because of copyright violation, maybe a year ago or so, I noticed because many of my bookmark links lead nowhere. But most of those songs are up again, uploaded by other people. I don't suppose the law has changed within a few months.

I don't know how it works, but I know legal copies have some kind of signature which YT recognizes, thus rejecting the upload. But some people somehow remove that signature so the YT filters no longer recognize the song.

I used to watch a Brazilian soap on YT as it was broadcast on TV too late at night for me. And sometimes it said the latest episode or parts of it were missing as the episode contained parts of a song that was rejected by YT, for instance a song by James Blunt, which was used for a featured couple.

And there are also regional differences. I have friends in the Americas, in Europe and in Asia. Sometimes when I send one of them a link, it says not available there, but here it is available. Sometimes it is the other way round. Sometimes that happens even within Europe. My brother in Germany can't watch a video that I can watch in Portugal, or vice versa.

Old 05-20-2011, 01:34 PM

~Yawn~ So you think most of YT's content is illegal.... Noted, now can this thread be closed since you must realize by now the only posters other than yourself here disagree with you????

Old 05-20-2011, 04:09 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,961,779 times
I think a lot of good can come out of this type of discussion. YT has so many possibilities. It can compete with Netflix and other media outlets. Rather than post a new thread, I'd like to steer this discussion towards what kind of value YT brings (consumers) and what potential value it has. It's an interesting concept imo.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
~Yawn~ So you think most of YT's content is illegal.... Noted, now can this thread be closed since you must realize by now the only posters other than yourself here disagree with you????
If you find it boring, why don't you just get lost?

There has hardly been anyone posting so far except for you and me, so it's not like I have been outnumbered 100:1

Old 05-20-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think a lot of good can come out of this type of discussion. YT has so many possibilities. It can compete with Netflix and other media outlets. Rather than post a new thread, I'd like to steer this discussion towards what kind of value YT brings (consumers) and what potential value it has. It's an interesting concept imo.
Thanks, that is actually what I was interested in, YT's role in society. The question of how much content is illegal is pretty irrelevant. As I said at the beginning I have noticed that to many people YT has become an institution they take for granted. I wonder what would change if it were gone tomorrow.
Some use it for political or religious propaganda, comments are accordingly vulgar and heated sometimes. Basically the comment function has become a kind of simple message board.
I also wonder how those featured videos are determined.
There are so many videos, how do people attract attention to theirs?

Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM

6,385 posts, read 10,842,581 times
plwhit, I hate you for making me click on a video of Lady Gag! Partly my fault, I should have paid more attention to the link of the video.

Ugh, what a horrible song and she is not even easy on the eye...I wish I had some ads that popped up at the beginning that would have given me enough time to close the window!

Old 05-20-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
plwhit, I hate you for making me click on a video of Lady Gag! Partly my fault, I should have paid more attention to the link of the video.

Ugh, what a horrible song and she is not even easy on the eye...I wish I had some ads that popped up at the beginning that would have given me enough time to close the window!
Hey, don't look at me, this modern generation are the ones who made here famous....

Lady Gaga came to mind because one of the TV channels has had a non-stop Gaga marathon going for the past 48 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet