U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 PM

22,364 posts, read 19,821,845 times

Advertisements

After a long day filled with work, I just wanted to listen to a song on YouTube and found their site offline, which is quite a rare event.
Anyway, it struck me how I have come to take YT for granted, it is always there providing all the songs I like, for free.

Sure, there are other video sites as well, but YT absolutely dominates that realm. What does that mean for the future? We all know [quasi] monopolies are not good in the long run.

Why is YT there in the first place? There are no ads on the site as far as I can see, so I can't imagine it is profitable for Google. Most videos today are either illegal uploads of copyrighted material (mostly music, but also entire TV series containing 100s of episodes in exotic languages such as Portuguese ), or crappy, inflammatory, and/or embarrassing personal videos.

Not to mention that YT video downloads have come to occupy a considerable percentage of bandwidth around the world, which goes hand in hand with the enormous power consumption of all those servers involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2011, 05:54 PM

26,345 posts, read 83,900,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Most videos today are either illegal uploads of copyrighted material

Is this actually true?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:09 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,958,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is this actually true?
No. Actually, most YouTube uploads are legally uploaded copyrighted material and user-created content.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:14 PM

OP, did you write this post 5 years ago and just submit it now?

This would have all been valid when YouTube became a phenomenon initially. YouTube actually does have ads in the beginning of their videos or overplayed in their videos. There's even a program where video uploaders get a percentage of the ad revenue.

As an advertising company, Google has a huge interest in owning a media outlet. Only time will tell how it works out for them

Old 05-19-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No. Actually, most YouTube uploads are legally uploaded copyrighted material and user-created content.
Hm, it just seemed to me that there is hardly any song by any artist that I can't find on YouTube (luckily), I doubt they have been uploaded legally, though. I mean even if someone takes the original mp3 and adds photos of beaches or women, I still doubt the music part is legal
I assume most artists have simply given up trying to have their stuff removed, because the next day it is up again. Usually there are multiple instances of each song anyway.

Regarding the user-created content, maybe my impression has to do with my way of using YouTube. I mean, when I enter the site, I do it for a reason, namely because I am looking for a song. I can't look for private content when I don't even know what I am looking for.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
OP, did you write this post 5 years ago and just submit it now?

This would have all been valid when YouTube became a phenomenon initially. YouTube actually does have ads in the beginning of their videos or overplayed in their videos. There's even a program where video uploaders get a percentage of the ad revenue.

As an advertising company, Google has a huge interest in owning a media outlet. Only time will tell how it works out for them
There are ads?! I never see any ads, I have just tried any song, the music starts immediately, no overplaying, either

Old 05-19-2011, 03:09 PM

15,924 posts, read 17,646,573 times
Songs or TV/movie intro's come with commercials at the beginning, and it's been that way for quite some time. Granted old songs/video's would not have them because hardly anyone looks at them...

Are you sure you just didn't wake up after a 15 year sleep? What you post about YT described YT many many years ago........

Hey Neuling, just because you wish something to be true "I doubt they have been uploaded legally" doesn't make it so.

Old 05-19-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Songs or TV/movie intro's come with commercials at the beginning, and it's been that way for quite some time. Granted old songs/video's would not have them because hardly anyone looks at them...

Are you sure you just didn't wake up after a 15 year sleep? What you post about YT described YT many many years ago........

Hey Neuling, just because you wish something to be true "I doubt they have been uploaded legally" doesn't make it so.
Can you tell me a song/video that has such an add at the beginning?

Also, maybe you misunderstand me, I am not complaining, especially since many of my favorite songs can hardly been found elsewhere anymore, like on CD. I was just writing my impressions and wondering...

Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Can you tell me a song/video that has such an add at the beginning?

Also, maybe you misunderstand me, I am not complaining, especially since many of my favorite songs can hardly been found elsewhere anymore, like on CD. I was just writing my impressions and wondering...

YouTube - ‪Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run‬‏

Old 05-19-2011, 04:29 PM

Hm, do you mean the Travis Barker Misfits - Watch now Vevo banner underneath the video? There was no ad before the video itself...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet