U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2011, 06:44 PM

18,760 posts, read 56,095,385 times

Advertisements

Google periodically does an oopsie. It now has decided that 69.19.14.39 is using a lot of bots to access the search engine. The address is a common Hughesnet addy. So... I can search with one of the other search engines or use a proxy server to search using google. My Google accounts are still fully accessible, but with every search the Captcha doohickie comes up. Even putting in the correct word results in another captcha.

Before anyone suggests - I verified my antivirus is up-to-date, Spybot, Malwarebites, and Hitman Pro all show I'm clean... AND in watching the modem and traffic, there is no unusual activity.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 11:09 PM

15,922 posts, read 17,777,667 times
Hmmm, had not had any problems all day using Google search...

Old 05-21-2011, 11:38 PM

219 posts, read 492,288 times
Did you check your /(user)///macromedia folder to see if any 'super cookies' have accumulated? Those demons are unbelievable and if one is sending your surfing habits back to Google, it may have caused the misunderstanding.

Old 05-22-2011, 09:04 AM

40,899 posts, read 42,396,862 times
Because I personally had a problem with Hughes myself on my own sites I would suggest it's Hughes issue. Hughes is a satellite service and they apparently utilize some unconventional techniques with a lot of bugs.

In my case it was both relative url's and images served by a php script. In the case of the images they are served through example.com/files.php?id=XXXXX. XXXXX is the id for the image and the server will respond by sending the file raw with an image header. When you get the file you can right click and "save as" and it will have the correct filename example.jpg . In other words the address is not the same as the filename, you can't directly access example.jpg. Matter of fact example.jpg exists no where on the system but instead is a random string. When someone from Hughes would show up they would generate hundreds of 404 errors trying to access these files that do not exist.

The relative URL's was another issue too, Google ads use some relative ads in their scripts. The Hughes users would generate a whole bunch of 404's requesting files called from the Google script on my own server.

A IP requesting a bunch of files that do not exist is giant red flag it's a rogue bot or someone up to no good. I can with 100% certainty say that many Hughes IP's are banned from many servers caught up in bot traps that look for activity like this or where the webmaster has simply given up in frustration.

Last edited by thecoalman; 05-22-2011 at 09:23 AM..

Old 05-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Yep, Coalman is right. I just did an nslookup on the google.com address and it came back with a Hughesnet address!!! Hughesnet is redirecting all google search engine traffic from users to one of its own pages and attempting to do something with it. My best guess is that they are attempting to see if they can add advertisements or some other method of generating revenue. The real pisser is that even if I type in Google (one of the direct addresses for google.com) any search gets redirected back through the Hughesnet fake, causing it to crash into Captcha. Just when I thought Hughesnet was getting better. <sigh>

Old 05-22-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Yep, Coalman is right. I just did an nslookup on the google.com address and it came back with a Hughesnet address!!! Hughesnet is redirecting all google search engine traffic from users to one of its own pages and attempting to do something with it. My best guess is that they are attempting to see if they can add advertisements or some other method of generating revenue. The real pisser is that even if I type in Google (one of the direct addresses for google.com) any search gets redirected back through the Hughesnet fake, causing it to crash into Captcha. Just when I thought Hughesnet was getting better. <sigh>
It has something to do with reducing bandwidth and speeding up the service since the satellite bandwidth is so much. I'm not exactly sure what they are doing but it's something along the lines of them caching files on their own server, when you make a request for a page they send the request to Google from their server and determine if their cached copy is correct. If it is then they may alter the header and send you a 304 back to you so you load cached copy on your local machine....

Works something like that, whatever it is they are doing it causes a lot of bad requests. I was almost at the point of blocking hughesnet IP's, I got a hold of high level network tech and sent them sample of my logs. They fixed the problem on my site, not sure if it was change for everyone.

Old 05-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Lordie. I understand their usefulness, but I HATE caches. One of my program had serious issues with some undocumented caching in the early microsoft networking. Even though I had constantly updating serial numbers, the cache would supply old ones. I had to try every trick in the book to force proper updating.

All Hughesnet will accomplish in this debacle is force people to use other search engines or use a proxy server, which will end up INCREASING the bandwidth. Satellites might be rocket science, but the companies using them are NOT rocket scientists.

Old 05-22-2011, 03:15 PM

3,169 posts, read 8,265,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It has something to do with reducing bandwidth and speeding up the service since the satellite bandwidth is so much. I'm not exactly sure what they are doing but it's something along the lines of them caching files on their own server, when you make a request for a page they send the request to Google from their server and determine if their cached copy is correct. If it is then they may alter the header and send you a 304 back to you so you load cached copy on your local machine....
Unless they're compressing images, I don't think this would save satellite bandwidth. The satellite is between Hughesnet users and the Hughesnet servers, not Hughesnet and Google.

Caching is generally used to speed up load times for users. For instance, this is how Opera Mini has better load times than the stock browser on Android. Of course, the fact that Google is captcha-ing Hughesnet searches certainly ruins any decrease in load times that may be achieved.

Old 05-22-2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Unless they're compressing images, I don't think this would save satellite bandwidth.

Again I don't know exactly what they are doing but I'll try to explain again. They are possibly caching the file on their servers also. You make the request and then they make a request to Google, they might do some comparison and even if the header is a 200 they override Google's header with a 304. In other words they might be overriding the headers from Google and other sites so they can send just the headers which is far less data than the whole document.

Whatever the case it's very buggy, when I was having the issue 99% of my error logs consisted of 404's from their IP's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet